Slim AV Receiver to work with B&W MT30

Badgerous

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am soon to be moving in with the other half and have hit a little snag with the home cinema. I am currently running the B&W MT30 with the PV1 sub and an additional pair of M1's on a Yamaha RXV1500 in 7.1.

My GF recently bought a TV cabinet from Ikea, which although it looks great and has plenty of space for my Sky+, PS3, XBox and Apple TV. There is no space anywhere for the Receiver as it is far too tall for the spaces in the cabinet. As the cabinet and matching book shelves takes up pretty much the whole wall, there is no real space to add a separate unit to store the receiver. So I am left with 3 options really, butcher her brand new and quite expensive cabinet, look at a slim line AV Receiver or replace the whole lot for something like a Bose system. The latter I really do not want to do as I love the sound of the MT30 system.

After looking around I have found only 3 real options on the slim line receiver front, the Pioneer VSX-S500, the new Marantz NR1604 and the Cambridge Audio 551R.

I find that the Yamaha powers the system perfectly and can have the system at high volumes with no clipping or distortion, but still sounds really good. Although I can only really do this when the neighbours are on holiday as it can sound like someone has opened a club next door (so I'm told). :) Although very rare I would still like to ensure that any system I buy can perform not only at low to medium levels but towards the top end as well.

Looking at the 3 slim line receivers the Pioneer is almost out of the running due to being only 5.1. The Cambridge Audio does not have any network function compared to the other 2. So really I am looking at the Marantz. Although if the Pioneer had the better sound then I could possibly revert back to 5.1.

Has anyone any experience of running any of these receivers with the MT30's, I know the NR1604 has only just been released, so would be comparing with the older Marantz models. I know the MT30 can be prone to have treble issues with some of the brighter receivers, but I was wondering has anyone experience of this in the real world?

Thanks,

Phil

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the marantz 1501 before my yammy,running kef3005se,the difference in the 2 amps was night and day....what's your joinery skills like? :shifty:

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Badgerous said:
Hi,

I am soon to be moving in with the other half and have hit a little snag with the home cinema. I am currently running the B&W MT30 with the PV1 sub and an additional pair of M1's on a Yamaha RXV1500 in 7.1.

My GF recently bought a TV cabinet from Ikea, which although it looks great and has plenty of space for my Sky+, PS3, XBox and Apple TV. There is no space anywhere for the Receiver as it is far too tall for the spaces in the cabinet. As the cabinet and matching book shelves takes up pretty much the whole wall, there is no real space to add a separate unit to store the receiver. So I am left with 3 options really, butcher her brand new and quite expensive cabinet, look at a slim line AV Receiver or replace the whole lot for something like a Bose system. The latter I really do not want to do as I love the sound of the MT30 system.

After looking around I have found only 3 real options on the slim line receiver front, the Pioneer VSX-S500, the new Marantz NR1604 and the Cambridge Audio 551R.

I find that the Yamaha powers the system perfectly and can have the system at high volumes with no clipping or distortion, but still sounds really good. Although I can only really do this when the neighbours are on holiday as it can sound like someone has opened a club next door (so I'm told). :) Although very rare I would still like to ensure that any system I buy can perform not only at low to medium levels but towards the top end as well.

Looking at the 3 slim line receivers the Pioneer is almost out of the running due to being only 5.1. The Cambridge Audio does not have any network function compared to the other 2. So really I am looking at the Marantz. Although if the Pioneer had the better sound then I could possibly revert back to 5.1.

Has anyone any experience of running any of these receivers with the MT30's, I know the NR1604 has only just been released, so would be comparing with the older Marantz models. I know the MT30 can be prone to have treble issues with some of the brighter receivers, but I was wondering has anyone experience of this in the real world?

Thanks,

Phil

It's a shame that you're crossing off the Cambridge Audio because of the lack of network features. Between those 3 if it was me it would be an easy pick... Cambidge Audio all the way! It's on a completely different level to the other 2.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts