B&W MT25 / 30 Subwoofer options?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have around £1500 to spend on a new speaker package. Had previously auditionedhave listened to various £1000 speaker packages and initially decided to go for the B&W MT20. However now have a bit more cash and B&W have changed the options anyway. I now have lots of questions, but am trying to narrow down my options prior to testi8ng/purchasing. The crux of my dilema is this. Am I better with a PV-1, or using the saving by buying the cheaper package to upgrade to twin ASW 608 Subwoofers and an additional pair of M-1 speakers for a 7.2 rather than 5.1 system, or how would the speakers fair with a pair of ASW610 speakers.

Finally as the Yamaha DSP863SE seems to be unavailable any suggestions of what £5-700 amp to match the B&W's to?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
If you're into the B&Ws, you might be better buying the satellites separately, and then matching them up to another sub. The PV-1 is a decent sub, but I believe you can get better preformance at a cheaper price. From reviews the ASW 608 doesn't seem so good.

Getting two subs doesn't really increase the quality, just the loudness, and unless you've got a massive room isn't necessary. Also, as far as I understand it, going with 7 satellites is really only of benefit if you can get a resonable distance between yourself and the rear speakers.

With the M-1s at around £125 each, you could get 5 for £625 or 7 for £875, and then add sometihng like the BK Monolith, which is supposed to be a fantastic sub, for about £400.

I'd also audition other speaker sets though, unless you are really stuck on the B&Ws. I found the Tannoy Arena to be better all round than the MT-30, and people also speak highly of the Monitor Audio and Arcam Muso / Logo packages, though I haven't heard them. The KEF 3005SE and moreso the 5005 satellties were good in demo, but the accompanying sub was weak.

A

Anonymous

Bk subs seem the way to go for your budget. bk xls200 is nearest your budget

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Disagree! The PV1 makes just about any speaker package sound better, and if you can stretch to it in the MT30, go for it. It's agile, refined, and has a mighty kick - set-up correctly, being driven well, it can certainly shake things around!

What it isn't is a rumble-merchant that dominates a system - which is what some people want a sub to be. If you're unsure (and even if you're not) about how you prefer your bass delivered, you should audition away.

Review of the new MT25 set-up, by the way, in our next issue - with subscribers from today; in shops by Wednesday.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Everybody has different tastes and ears, and I'd definitely recommend demoing. I was convinced when I set out that the MT-30 or KEF3005SE would be good speakers for me, but in the end I went for something else, and was glad I'd demod.

I can only speak from my demoing, but while the PV1 was a big improvement on the KEF sub, (which could go loud, but seemed to lack control), there was nothing to make me think the bass from the PV1 was any better than the Tannoy TS300, (in fact I thought the bass was probably a bit tighter from the TS300).

I wasn't just looking for big noise, and wanted detail, subtlety, and musicality from the package I bought.

While I think the PV1 is a good sub, I've got to say from my experience that a better sub could be had for less money, (£950 is a lot), and a saving could be made. The TS300 for me was easily as good as the PV1, or the differences couldn't be heard, and it can be had for much less than £950, as can the BK XLS200, which I've heard is similar performance to the TS300.

There seem to be a lot of candidates for high quality subs, at a range of prices, and I'd be really interested to see a shootout of the PV1 against other similar priced subs from the likes of REL, Velodyne, and SVS, and also some of well regarded but more reasonably priced candidates from BK, MA, Quad maybe. You could even throw in the Tannoy TS500.

A

Anonymous

I have to agree mate there are plenty subs available for less money and a sub is only over powering if you set it up wrong or set it to do so. So no matter what sub you buy u can set it to blend in well as long as you have a decent amp and set it up well. the pv1 is a decent sub i have demo'd it but its way over priced and there is plenty more out there for half the money that will give it a run for its money. if you want looks the ov1 is the way to go but if you want amazing sound for your pound then best go for a ts300 or a bk xl200. Oh and just for the record i kno sum1 with an mj acoustic pro 50 mk II with sub sats and he loves itthink it cost him £350 quid so ad say its worth a demo. Its all down to personal taste

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts