B&W MT-30 & Sony 2400ES?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am about to pull the trigger on the above setup. Any reasons not too.

I have heard of some reliability problems with the 2400 and it also sounding bright, but the positive reviews outweigh the negative.

Any idea how the amp will pair with this speaker setup?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

At this risk of being shot down and having never listened to the pairing I'd hazard a guess that the price differential between the two indicates that the B&W's deserve a better amp to make the most of them. If you can afford it I would consider upgrading the amp to around the £1000(+) mark to gain the benefit from the speakers. If you can't spend more on the amp then consider finding some speakers for a less (say B&W MT 25's or the KEF 3005 or even the 2005) - you could spend the leftover on decent cables and a new source (do you have a BD player already?).

this is not based on experience, just a gut feel that spending £1500 on speakers deserves a receiver of more than £500.

Have a listen to the setup yourself if you can and see what you think, if you like it then get it and enjoy it, you could always upgrade the receiver in the future in the knowledge that the speakers will be able to do even more with a better source which is no bad position to be in.

A

Anonymous

I will have to dissagree, i have this amp with my mezzo 6 fronts and aviano surrounds and it sounds awesome, great detail and solid. The important thing i've found is to get the cable right. Mains cable on an amp made a huge improvement in sound and picture, changing from a qed optical to tcl coral was like lifting a blanket off the speakers. Search the reviews.

A

Anonymous

Thanks thats kind of what I thought, but I cant really justify spending more than £2k at the moment and I am pretty set on the MT-30s.

I know I should probably spend more on an amp, but the Sony looks like a good deal at £400 and gets decent reviews. I am not going to be able to demo it though, hence why I am asking on here.

Yes I have a bluray (Sony BDPs350) and a Sony 40z4500 TV.

A

Anonymous

I was kind of wondering how much to budget for cables?

I think I need the following, can you give me an idea of what I need to spend?

A Sub Cable £30-£50?

Speaker Cable £?

HDMI cable (Amp to TV) £30?

HDMI Cable (SKY HD to Amp) - already have

HDMI Cable (Bluray to amp) - already have

Optical cable? - Sky HD to Amp (for surround sound?) £?

Any others?

A

Anonymous

Hello mate,

Sounds about right. You only need a good pic' going to your tv. I would highly recommend the tcl coral optical cable for sky to amp, improvement in detail was clear, check out the review here. Plus a chord mains cable on the 2400es made improvement in pq and the sound was more solid and a little more detailed again, these two cables with my mains conditioner made bigger improvements than the hdmi's, which made a smaller improvement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts