B&W CM1 review?

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello What Hi-Fi :D

I would be really happy if you made an review of the B&W CM1 speaker. Actually I think a lot of people would like to see that happen :p

Greetings from Victor ;)

A

Anonymous

I think this fella is completely right. Unfortunately he's been ignored :{

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Yannes said:
I think this fella is completely right. Unfortunately he's been ignored :{

Why would you want them to review it? It's not because the What Hifi likes/dislikes those speakers that you should/shouldn't like them.

Only trust your own ears and demo them.

A

Anonymous

My trust is in reviews. I'm not exactly the audiophile, and demoing them in a store where i'm not gonna buy 'em feels bad. I'd be happy to see a nice review of this one.

B&W CM1s were reviewed in What Hi-Fi mag in April 2006. They were given a four star rating and the comments as follows: "Fine performer, with such powerful bass for such a small speaker..." They did conclude, however, the CM1s lacked openness in the treble.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
B&W CM1s were reviewed in What Hi-Fi mag in April 2006. They were given a four star rating and the comments as follows: "Fine performer, with such powerful bass for such a small speaker..." They did conclude, however, the CM1s lacked openness in the treble.
Time for a reprise then,maybe

A

Anonymous

Yannes said:
My trust is in reviews. I'm not exactly the audiophile, and demoing them in a store where i'm not gonna buy 'em feels bad. I'd be happy to see a nice review of this one.

Surefire way to audio misery.

A

Anonymous

kevinJ said:
Why would you want them to review it? It's not because the What Hifi likes/dislikes those speakers that you should/shouldn't like them.

So my understanding is that you never did read a speaker review and never will either. ;)

I do respect your approach and at the end me too I will only thrust my ears. But personnaly I find very interesting to read reviews, may I?. ;)

No hard feeling :)

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
mrox said:
kevinJ said:

So my understanding is that you never did read a speaker review and never will either. ;)

I do respect your approach and at the end me too I will only thrust my ears. But personnaly I find very interesting to read reviews, may I?. ;)

Ofcourse I read reviews, why would I pay for What Hifi if I didn't? ;)

And yes, reviews are interesting and fun to read, especially when it's about components that I can't demo without travelling to the other side of the country, but I would never buy something just because someone else thinks it's good.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
kevinJ said:

And yes, reviews are interesting and fun to read, especially when it's about components that I can't demo without travelling to the other side of the country, but I would never buy something just because someone else thinks it's good.

Few people do. However, reviews are still fun and helpful. If I'm interested in a product I read all the reviews I can and look for agreement. This is a good way to narrow down the field.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired said:
kevinJ said:

Few people do. However, reviews are still fun and helpful. If I'm interested in a product I read all the reviews I can and look for agreement. This is a good way to narrow down the field.
Reviews are interesting but you can end up going around the twist reading and comparing all the information. :read:

FATS 2828 said:
plastic penguin said:
Time for a reprise then,maybe

That's unlikely - WHFI only usually (I use the word sparingly) reprise award winners, but as you know if you can't lay your hands on the April 2006 copy the best thing is to audition and decide for yourself.

spr1ggsy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree. I used to work in the biz and the amount of times people auditioned 2 products and bought the one they LEAST preferred as "it had 5 stars and the other one only got 3 stars in What Hifi".

I tried to say that it was all about personal preference but sometimes it fell on deaf ears (literally!) I would also say that if there was a "correct" way for music to sound then all hifis would sound the same.

Customers were suspicious and thought we may have "done something" to the 5 star product to make it sound "worse" than the one they actually liked. I always found it weird how some customers trust a journalist that they had never met over a face to face demo from an accountable dealer. Such is life. Pleased to be out of the biz now to be honest. The customer is NOT always right, however they are always the customer!

spr1ggsy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree. I used to work in the biz and the amount of times people auditioned 2 products and bought the one they LEAST preferred as "it had 5 stars and the other one only got 3 stars in What Hifi".

I tried to say that it was all about personal preference but sometimes it fell on deaf ears (literally!) I would also say that if there was a "correct" way for music to sound then all hifis would sound the same.

Customers were suspicious and thought we may have "done something" to the 5 star product to make it sound "worse" than the one they actually liked. I always found it weird how some customers trust a journalist that they had never met over a face to face demo from an accountable dealer. Such is life. Pleased to be out of the biz now to be honest. The customer is NOT always right, however they are always the customer!

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

First post, so hello all. I couldnt find many reviews on the CM1's either so recently demoed and bought the CM1's. Amazing speaker. Preference is everything but put them up against B&W 685, B&W CM7, MA RX2, Neat Motive 3 and the CM1's blew me away....and to me are by far the best looking speaker (i chose gloss black). :)

A

Anonymous

Ben123 said:
Hi,

First post, so hello all. I couldnt find many reviews on the CM1's either so recently demoed and bought the CM1's. Amazing speaker. Preference is everything but put them up against B&W 685, B&W CM7, MA RX2, Neat Motive 3 and the CM1's blew me away....and to me are by far the best looking speaker (i chose gloss black). :)
Just shows that reviews are are only a guide. :)

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Very happy with my CM1s :dance:

From memory I auditioned them with B&W 805s, Spendor A3s and B&W 685s. To me they sounded smoother than the 685s. Spendors sounded sublime but my speaker placement is compromised by a sofa, so I decided standmounted speakers would be more practical. The 805s were spectacular, but out of my budget.

A

Anonymous

JamesPianoman said:
Very happy with my CM1s :dance:

From memory I auditioned them with B&W 805s, Spendor A3s and B&W 685s. To me they sounded smoother than the 685s. Spendors sounded sublime but my speaker placement is compromised by a sofa, so I decided standmounted speakers would be more practical. The 805s were spectacular, but out of my budget.
Which uniti are you using ? :)

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
[/quote] Which uniti are you using ? :)

[/quote]

It's a 2010 NaimUniti, connected to the internet and a ReadyNAS duo via ethernet cable and to Virgin Media's TiVo box via the tv's digital audio output...

I'm very tempted to take a Spotify Premium subscription via Virgin as that would then feed the NaimUniti without using a PC, and it's free for the first 6 months :grin:

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
[/quote] Which uniti are you using ? :)

[/quote]

It's a 2010 NaimUniti, connected to the internet and a ReadyNAS duo via ethernet cable and to Virgin Media's TiVo box via the tv's digital audio output...

I'm very tempted to take a Spotify Premium subscription via Virgin as that would then feed the NaimUniti without using a PC, and it's free for the first 6 months :grin:

matthewpiano

The CM1s are definitely a speaker that you should audition before buying. I know many people love them and you might well be one of them. However, I thought they were awful when I heard them - bloated bass, splashy treble and no real sense of musical fluidity. They just don't suit my tastes at all, although I'm quite sure they are excellent if you like that sort of sound. Strangely enough, I found the cheaper 685s to be more enjoyable.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
The CM1s are definitely a speaker that you should audition before buying. I know many people love them and you might well be one of them. However, I thought they were awful when I heard them - bloated bass, splashy treble and no real sense of musical fluidity. They just don't suit my tastes at all, although I'm quite sure they are excellent if you like that sort of sound. Strangely enough, I found the cheaper 685s to be more enjoyable.

What were the 685's pro's and cons for you matt, over the more exspensive cm1's ?

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The CM1s are definitely a speaker that you should audition before buying.

Agreed. When spending this sort of money an audition is essential. I'll never buy blind again, and our vastly different auditioning experiences illustrate why nicely lol. I had my heart set on the 685's and almost bought them blind but when i heard them (through a marantz pearl lite amp) was very underwhelmed. As someone said in an earlier post i thought the dealer had done something to the 685's! The dealer said the 685's sound better with arcam but we didnt have time to try.

The CM1's arent as balanced throughout the frequency range like other speakers but i don't care. The cm1's produce such an exciting sound playing dance music i was sold. A bit of a crazy suggestion but if people cant audition there are some good quality videos of the CM1's on youtube pushing out some great sounds. If nothing else gives people an idea of the sonic signature and more importantly if they like it.

hortensio

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
According to AV Review team: Epos M12.2 is better than B&W CM 1...in terms of "musical timing"....but they said that it is a great speaker, beautiful and has a strong bass......

cheers :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS