b&w 685 speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i have the chance to buy a pair of theses speakers including stands ; i'm wondering what amp and cd player to match these speakers.

my music taste is wide i have upwards of a $NZ3000 to spend including speaker cable and interconnect.

cheers.

matthewpiano

First of all, what kit do you have at present? What do you like/dislike about it?

The 685s are great speakers but there are others you should try as well. The Focal Chorus 706v, Rega RS1 and Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2 should certainly be on your audition list - all 3 are every bit as good as the 685s but with different presentations.

In terms of electronics I'd start by looking at Rega (Apollo/Brio 3), the current Pioneer range (PD-D6Mk2/A-A6Mk2), and the Creek Evolution 2. If you want to go further on price you might also want to look at the Naim Nait 5i/CD5i or, if the pennies can stretch, the fabulous Uniti. Arcam are always worth a listen, particularly if you can locate a nice used A32 and a CD192.

A

Anonymous

hi thanks for the reply i don't have asystem at the mo ' just i got offered these speakers my last system was a rega apollo cd 'rega biro and rega r5 speakers.

i am open minded on my next system and was using these speakers as a startng point.

cheers.

A

Anonymous

it wasn't to bad a kit amp was a bit under powered couldn't reall turn up the volume past 11 oclock other wise distorsion started ' it wasn't hard on the ears' the only reason i sold it was i had other projects on and needed the money and i'm now looking a another kit .

cheers

A

Anonymous

I'm from nz. Keep the player and change the amp to whatever sounds best to your ears. I have those speakers, I hear they go well with Naim, but that's beyond your budget. NAD sound too warm with them. Possibly try a rotel, perhaps the RA-1520 (latest one review in WHF), you could probably get that for just over $2,000

A

Anonymous

kev53:

hi thanks for the reply i don't have asystem at the mo ' just i got offered these speakers my last system was a rega apollo cd 'rega biro and rega r5 speakers.

i am open minded on my next system and was using these speakers as a startng point.

cheers.

This Rega system can be made better by upgrading your amp to the Mira. The Brio is a rather 'underwhelming' amp - your weak link. The R5's are great speakers. Between this and the 685's, I would personally keep the R5's.

Ok, just read that your old system is now gone, so disregard what I said.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts