AVI DM5

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
lpv said:
avole said:
Because you can't go to your local hifi shop and listen to them, let alone compare with the technologically superior Dynaudios and other active speakers. You have to take the leap of faith, because that is what the marketing and propaganda is all about.

If you could compare with other speakers, active, passive, powered or wireless, AVI might suddenly be in a position where they can't compete, and, worse, the hype is shown for what it is.

wise words :)
I'm glad we agree on something. It is almost as if the sales manager is afraid to allow comparisons - doesn't he have faith in his own products ?

shadders

luckylion100 said:
And took a calculated risk and purchased the DM10 without audition.

I make no such claim other than to state (again) that I'm currently enjoying a vast improvement over what I had previously. Anf what i had before was modest kit. To the science boffins on here my words of praise mean little but I've actually sat down and listened to the blinking things. They haven't, end of.

The only quote I've seen that is close to the mention of the DM10's being conquerer of all things passive came from the company. That's where the 'experts' here need to raise their queries.

Whatever the true figures it makes zero difference to me or my enjoyment of the music.
Hi,

As stated multiple times, the subjective experience is not being questioned.

It is the use of errored technical data used by the AVI owners in their argument, which is being challenged.

Regards,

Shadders.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
lpv said:
avole said:
Because you can't go to your local hifi shop and listen to them, let alone compare with the technologically superior Dynaudios and other active speakers. You have to take the leap of faith, because that is what the marketing and propaganda is all about.

If you could compare with other speakers, active, passive, powered or wireless, AVI might suddenly be in a position where they can't compete, and, worse, the hype is shown for what it is.

wise words :)
I'm glad we agree on something. It is almost as if the sales manager is afraid to allow comparisons - doesn't he have faith in his own products ?

hi avole.. fancy a comparision? ( if you're not afraid, of course)

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Surely AVI are only hard to demo because they're not a dealer-friendly manufacturer (they're far from being alone on this). Either they want to keep more profits to themselves or keep the end user price down (or a combination of both). They claimed to be selling all they want to (well, that was Ashley's view and he's effectively retired now) I wonder if the new guys will try harder in this country or just focus their efforts in Asia (as is rumoured to be the case).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
shadders said:
luckylion100 said:

I make no such claim other than to state (again) that I'm currently enjoying a vast improvement over what I had previously. Anf what i had before was modest kit. To the science boffins on here my words of praise mean little but I've actually sat down and listened to the blinking things. They haven't, end of.

The only quote I've seen that is close to the mention of the DM10's being conquerer of all things passive came from the company. That's where the 'experts' here need to raise their queries.

Whatever the true figures it makes zero difference to me or my enjoyment of the music.
Hi,

It is the use of errored technical data used by the AVI owners in their argument,  which is being challenged.

Regards,

Shadders.

Keep fighting the good fight

But whats in it for you?

shadders

Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
luckylion100 said:

Hi,

It is the use of errored technical data used by the AVI owners in their argument, which is being challenged.

Regards,

Shadders.

Keep fighting the good fight

But whats in it for you?
Hi,

It is not a fight. I am challenging the misinformation. The response from AVI owners is rude and abusive, when what they have stated is challenged or disagreed with.

What is in it for me? Nothing. I do not believe that a group of people should misinform others or mislead them on the technical aspects, especially if they do not understand what they are writing, or purposefully ignore the reality so as to support their cause in support of the product that they have purchased.

Again, no one is disagreeing with the subjective experience, so why people are continually referring to this in response to the challenging of technical arguments is not logical.

Regards,

Shadders.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
With all the arguments appearing on the forum, it's actually got me into a position where I'd like to listen to a pair of DM10s.

I'm living just south of Birmingham, where's the best place to actually listen to a set?

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
lpv said:
hi avole.. fancy a comparision? ( if you're not afraid, of course)
Sure - I know a dealer in Paris where you can compare several brands of active and wireless speakers, including Dynaudio, Yamaha, KEF and Focal. You'd need to bring you AVIs - no dealership here.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
This argument will carry on ad nauseam until the two separate issues of SQ and quoted specs, stop being conflated.

Why are they separate? The perceived sound quality of reasonable speakers largely follows from the on and off axis frequency responses if the level is kept low enough for them to remain essentially linear. Even when the level is high enough for non-linear distortion to start intruding what that sounds like is not exactly unknown to those that take an interest.

In the case of the DM10s people are reporting that it sounds significantly different to other speakers they have heard. The confusing to many readers showing of the midwoofer frequency response mounted on a large flat baffle but not showing the frequency response of the speaker. Briefly browsing the AVI website yesterday I saw that AVI considers that "baffle step doesn't exist" (how sound from the midwoofer radiates progressively in all directions rather than just forward as the frequency is lowered). It rather suggests that the DM10 may well have an on axis frequency response that is not essentially flat. No problem in itself but it will influence the marketing since potential customers are likely to respond more positively to seeing a flat response.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
This argument will carry on ad nauseam until the two separate issues of SQ and quoted specs, stop being conflated.

Even if the figures are inflated it does not take away the qualities of their speakers. Its like saying Beethoven was deaf so how on earth can we trust his musicianship as a composer? Listen to a pair of AVi DM5 or DM10 and then make a decision. At least you will have experienced them for better or worse.

shadders

Romulus said:
CnoEvil said:

Even if the figures are inflated it does not take away the qualities of their speakers. Its like saying Beethoven was deaf so how on earth can we trust his musicianship as a composer? Listen to a pair of AVi DM5 or DM10 and then make a decision. At least you will have experienced them for better or worse.
Hi,

It is important that the figures are accurate. To stop the misinformation and other issues.

Regards,

Shadders.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, I have demoed all the AVI speakers i have (have had) but I'm lucky living pretty close to AVI.

when I first heard/demoed the DM5 it was a pre production pair in my own living room connected via a cable to the headphone socket of my iPhone 4S.

So it was very much on my terms.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
jmjones said:
With all the arguments appearing on the forum, it's actually got me into a position where I'd like to listen to a pair of DM10s.

I'm living just south of Birmingham, where's the best place to actually listen to a set?

as you're south of Birmingham you may not be that far away from the factory in Nailsworth. As Ashley has taken more of a back seat, I'm not sure of the demo opportunities there though

There is a dealer in birmingham that may have DM10s to demo.

Edit its Five Ways Hi Fi, they stock other makes so a direct comparison should be possible

It might be worth having a look at the AVI website to gather any relevant information.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
To be fair, I have demoed all the AVI speakers i have (have had) but I'm lucky living pretty close to AVI.

when I first heard/demoed the DM5 it was a pre production pair in my own living room connected via a cable to the headphone socket of my iPhone 4S.

Very interesting then Richard - I know it wasn't an ideal set up (iPhone4s etc) - but it would be intertesting to see your opinion of what you heard through the various AVIs. Did you have an opportunity to compare to any passive speakers?

thanks - tonky

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:
richardw42 said:

Very interesting then Richard - I know it wasn't an ideal set up (iPhone4s etc) - but it would be intertesting to see your opinion of what you heard through the various AVIs. Did you have an opportunity to compare to any passive speakers?

thanks - tonky

hi. I will knock up something more thorough, but maybe this post I made on the DM5 might be of interest as a start. http://hddaudio.net/bb/viewtopic.php?id=7541

Just to add, I have 3 pairs of DM5 arranged as a 6.1 for my PJ.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hg said:
Why are they separate? The perceived sound quality of reasonable speakers largely follows from the on and off axis frequency responses if the level is kept low enough for them to remain essentially linear. Even when the level is high enough for non-linear distortion to start intruding what that sounds like is not exactly unknown to those that take an interest.

In the case of the DM10s people are reporting that it sounds significantly different to other speakers they have heard. The confusing to many readers showing of the midwoofer frequency response mounted on a large flat baffle but not showing the frequency response of the speaker. Briefly browsing the AVI website yesterday I saw that AVI considers that "baffle step doesn't exist" (how sound from the midwoofer radiates progressively in all directions rather than just forward as the frequency is lowered). It rather suggests that the DM10 may well have an on axis frequency response that is not essentially flat. No problem in itself but it will influence the marketing since potential customers are likely to respond more positively to seeing a flat response.

....because in this case, how the speaker sounds is a different argument compared to whether the specs have been misrepresented.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Romulus said:

I never said otherwise (just like Shadders).

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
richardw42 said:

What speakers did you compare them with ?

D

Deleted member 108165

steve_1979 said:
Could someone please sum up this thread in one succinct sentence?

I'll have a stab at it *biggrin*: "This is all becoming rather uninteresting, tedious and boring!"

TRENDING THREADS