AVI ADM9.1 - Initial impressions

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:

Do you get a self defence handbook when you buy these speakers - all owners seem to get really defensive and feel the need to provide evidence that they are in a position to judge and recommend these like no one that buys any other make of kit!

Bit of balance and perspective, please. I know you may not have meant it, but you did write it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
See, there you go again - straight on the defensive
emotion-5.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Bialykot:Hi Andrew - understand and that's not in question. It's all the false assumptions and weird comments about formatting etc...
The comment about the lack of paragraph breaks was just a joke.

Not from me it wasn't, I genuinely won't bother reading such a massive lump of text like that, it's just too much effort.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Ya got me there, its a fair cop guv!

By the by, i really wish someone would come along making basically the same speakers in a nice finish. Someone with a better, er, well...manner?

I'd buy them, and wouldnt feel like an untouchable.

A

Anonymous

al7478:
By the by, i really wish someone would come along making basically the same speakers in a nice finish. Someone with a better, er, well...manner?

I'd buy them, and wouldnt feel like an untouchable.

I agree, hence why I am asking for alternatives, its too late for you al7478 but I can still avoid becoming an untouchable

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

matengawhat:anyone else think AVI's like the skoda of the hi fi world!

That does not work anymore since Skoda became a subsidiary of VW.

but it does cause skoda owners always have to say i bought a skoda but it's a great car! they're immediately on the defensive to!

Bialykot

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi again. Yes I did use copy and paste within my first post - because I wanted to move some sections around to read a little better before I pressed the post button. Obviously wan't meticulous enough.

To answer a couple of recent questions. I moved to these speakers not because I was dissatisfied with my previous gear - on the contrary. I've always promised my missus that we'd declutter the front room and the ADM's seemed to have all the right bits built in at the right price level to enable me to do that.

In terms of the 60Hz roll off, it does seem quite steep to my ears but doesn't pose too much of a problem at moderate volumes on most types of music (other than really bass-rich content - and I mean low bass here). As expected, at low volumes the bass does start to 'disappear' but that's because of our ears' poorer sensitivity to these frequencies particularly at low levels. (In some respects these remind me of some Celestion SL600s that I used to own - crank up the volume and they sound very clean and punchy. Turn it right down and the 'punch' disappears).

I've not personally tried adjusting the frequency response with iTunes so can't say what the benefits would be. I run a small subwoofer in any case (MJ Acoustics Pro) which I can quickly fire up for stereo music which does fill out the bottom end a bit on some types of music, but I'm not convinced it's properly integrated at the moment and I'd need to play around with this a bit more. I'll perhaps try and use the iTunes equaliser and report back on my impressions. Hope that helps.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i wouldn't go down the altering frequ in itunes as don't see that as a real solution but a work around - i would put my time in to experimenting with your sub - i use a sub with my standmounts purely for its flexibility and personally think itergrates exceptionally well but did take a little work to get it right and now wouldn't be without it - don't understand why ppl avoid them.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I know someone will correct me when i go wrong but i may have misunderstood the way equalizers work. Dont they just make the bass a bit louder? I mean, they cant extend the bass frequency can they?

John Duncan

al7478:Dont they just make the bass a bit louder?

Yes they do, but bass reponse in a speaker is measured by the volume of a frequency given out at that given frequency. So if a speakers output is low at 60hz, you can increase its volume there, thus extending its perceived low end capability.

Not exactly hifi, but hey.

John Duncan

I like pictures. Here's a reponse curve for a loudspeaker:

image.jpg

in simple terms, the volume of all those frequencies on the input side will have been the same, but the output from the loudspeaker is lower at the bottom and top ends. An equaliser is used to boost the input signal at certain frequencies to make output curve flatter.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Cycles / second, crikey - which decade did that come from JD?

You never know, I might just pop up to see Ash at some point, and see for myself if/what it's all about. At least that way I can tell in my own mind whether they are right/wrong for me.

My main worry is still vinyl though them, as there's no EQ possible. Can't see the bassline on Rain/Paperback writer working if it rolls off too quickly, and from too high a starting point.

John Duncan

chebby:
JohnDuncan:If only he'd publish a frequency response chart eh?
emotion-5.gif

It would be a "million times better" than anyone else's frequency response chart
emotion-1.gif

Frequency response charts are for audiophools.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts