AVI ADM9.1 - Initial impressions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
emotion-1.gif

I wouldn't mind if it was someone with a few hundred posts, or like yourself, a few thousand, but it's always new posters. You'd think they'd learn.

Messiah

FrankHarveyHiFi:
emotion-1.gif

I wouldn't mind if it was someone with a few hundred posts, or like yourself, a few thousand, but it's always new posters. You'd think they'd learn.

EDIT - comment removed

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:what makes me laugh about these and those on the avi website is the over use of the () brackets to tell a story about the family ect this to me is a clear indictaion that they are all written by the same writer I some times think I use () too much (usually when its additional details(like here)), maybe I've been possessed.

To the OP. Glad you like your speakers.

Bialykot

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Wow ... new posters... extolling virtues .... fake advertising .... What's going on guys??? Actually I am a new poster. And I am totally impartial. And no, I'm not advertising. Just expressing my thoughts which is what I thought these boards were for. And no, never said the ADM9.1s are far better than my Meridian set up. Just suit me better for now and it I feel they are really good for the money considering what you get (particualrly with space saving). And yes there's shed loads of great stuff out there that I'd love to have under the right circumstances. Reading some of your posts again I actually feel hugely unwelcome here - that is a shame ....

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Bialykot you should try searching the forums for AVI, you will find loads of threads as it's a very common topic, which is why your getting the answers that have appeared on here.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
you expressed yout thoughts Bialy. as is your right. Others have expressed that they dont belive a word and think your a shill.

No offence, but I dont belive you either. to write a first post like that straight in on a forum just makes you look like a mouthpiece for avi.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Escapism:Welcome Bailykot, don't mind the usual AVI-haters on here, not all WHF forum members are this unhospitipal. I'm sure Everard will set a good example for others.....oh no, wait..

Interesting: y'see as far as I know there's only one place - at least since school - where I am referred to solely by my surname...
emotion-5.gif

And if you took the trouble to read the thread, you'd see that my only comment on the original post was regarding the alarming lack of punctuation. Everything else I have said here has been directed at other posters, now including you.

Escapism

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
That's not interesting at all, Andrew.

I believe had Bailykot's first post talked about any other hi-fi manufacturer, he would not have had this kind of response. Do you disagree, Andrew.?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Oh I think it's very interesting, not to mention pertinent.

I really have no opinion on the matter in hand any more: subject-fatigue set in long ago.

A

Anonymous

Subject fatique is right. I work in the Middle East in a place, well if it's not the boredom capitol of the world at least gets on the podium yet I'm constantly amazed at how apparently dull some posters lives are that they can get so emotive about a piece of audio equipment.

I'm not in the market for a pair of AVI speakers, although I'm sure my long suffering wife will be when she's see's the kit I'm going to inflict on her when my contract here finishes next year. Being a somewhat perverse old cumudgeon though reading all the hate posts I'm almost tempted.

I mean come on now lighten up this isn't life and death

A

Anonymous

Just to clarify a little.

You'll note when I cast doubts on the OP's authenticity on page 1, that I did not get drawn into criticising the speakers themselves. I've heard them for myself and for the money they are really very good, and intend buying a s/h pair for my study.

Others have also agreed that first time posters writing gushing and/ or reviews with an 'angle' have a habit of being one of Ashley's sycophants masquerading as objective audiophiles! - which is the last thing they are!

A

Anonymous

As an Avi 9.1 owner I am just loving my music again,But I am getting very fed up with all the negativity there is. They are great value for money and save on clutter and space!

A

Anonymous

Nick21:.. I am getting very fed up with all the negativity there is.

If I were you I'd write to Ashley James and ask him to stop giving the genuine admirers of the 9.1's a bad name!

You're right, they're terrific vfm.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I just want to make one thing clear here.

Anything I have said about the AVI speakers has been based on my 20 year knowledge of hi-fi, which has included selling active systems, so I'm fully aware of how active systems work, their benefits, and the costs involved.

I have not once said that these 9.1's are rubbish speakers. No doubt for the money they sound good, and they have an advantage of being active over other similarly priced speakers, and it's probably an easy solution for many people. I've always said there's a place in the market for everything, regardless of how odd, different, or expensive it is.

What I am against here is the claim that £1,000 speakers can compete with systems at £10k or more, and the way in which these speakers are marketed. Like I said, if they were that good, they'd sell themselves, and AVI would have a nice list of authorised dealers.

AVI have now dropped down in my opinion after the unpleasant phone call I've just had from Ashley James. I can see why people say what they do about him. In the end, I ended up putting the phone down him because a/ I don't appreciate verbal abuse, and b/ because I really don't have the time for pointless conversations.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
crimsondonkey:

If I were you I'd write to Ashley James and ask him to stop giving the genuine admirers of the 9.1's a bad name!

emotion-21.gif

Whats also a little irritating is that people from the AVI fan club forum seem to think we do not know who they are.

"I've just signed up to the WHF forums and my name over there is ___ tee hee hee...".

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:AVI have now dropped down in my opinion after the unpleasant phone call I've just had from Ashley James. I can see why people say what they do about him. In the end, I ended up putting the phone down him because a/ I don't appreciate verbal abuse, and b/ because I really don't have the time for pointless conversations.

As Mr Duncan would put it, 'Ooooo...'

al7478:the AVI fan club forum

It would be remiss of me as a moderator not to point out that the forum in question is an entirely independent 'place for computer audio discussion'

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:AVI have now dropped down in my opinion after the unpleasant phone call I've just had from Ashley James. I can see why people say what they do about him. In the end, I ended up putting the phone down him because a/ I don't appreciate verbal abuse, and b/ because I really don't have the time for pointless conversations.

Now, why would any businessman in his right mind do that? The AVIs have been on my radar for some time but I've not tried them because I don't see how I can integrate them into my AV system (specifically not having a matching centre for them). Hearing things like this just makes me even less inclined to hand over my hard earned to someone like that (Ashley I mean, not David...).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Now, why would any businessman in his right mind do that? The AVIs have been on my radar for some time but I've not tried them because I don't see how I can integrate them into my AV system (specifically not having a matching centre for them). Hearing things like this just makes me even less inclined to hand over my hard earned to someone like that (Ashley I mean, not David...).

I appreciate it's his company and he has to sell to make a living, but no company is going to survive without the right business strategy. Dealing direct may have monetary benefits, but it's a pain the A when your marketing department isn't up to scratch or it's non existent.

Bialykot

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Gosh - what a strange forum. I have posted similar first posts on other forums over the years (about different bits of kit and MY opinions not manufacturers). But this is the first forum where most posters (to this thread at least) have reacted very strangely and emotionally, with some personal jibes (even critcising punctuation / paragraphs etc... ???) but with no objective reactions around my topic. Blimey. Where's the 'Welcome first poster and thanks for your review BUT plus whatever you want to say or argue in a reasonable manner'? So some of you have an impression of me already (quite wrong) and I suppose I now have an impression of you (guess what that is?). So I'll try and keep on topic and be objective as I'm beginning to behave the same way as others here. The ADM9.1s fo work very well for ME. From what I've read here many people are passing judgements without having heard them (I gather they are difficult to source because of AVIs selling model). I merely thought it might be interesting for some here to share MY thoughts about them as I actually have them, use them and have formed a first impressions about them. I have not said anywhere to throw away expensive separates and buy these - that's up to you as it is up to me on how I spend my money. (And why shouldn't I be able to do that in a first post - what's all that about then?). (And sorry for the brackets if you think in some way I'm an imposter!???) But there I go again - getting swept up in the emotional **** so let's stay on topic. The ADM9.1s have achieved pretty well what I was after with very good sound in MY room which can be very boomy as I explained in first post. Read it again. In particular I like how the 3 inputs (2 digital and one analogue) remember the last volume setting that was used. This is useful as I use a surround sound processor for movies and can simply flip the input and not have to rebalance the sound as I did with my Meridian pre amp. I did say they can sound light but in my opinion actually close to my electrostatic headphones which also sound light in the bass - but pretty accurate. The bass does seem to roll off rapidly below 60Hz but many small speakers behave the same way. The difference between these and some passive speakers I have listened to (including my old Nautilus 805s) is that the bass seems much tighter in my room and therefore 'better' for me. I can hear bass lines (not the 20-40Hz stuff that shakes the house!) more clearly on most of the types of music I listen to. Dynamically challenged recordings (most pop) don't sound great - even harsh. The B&Ws I used were probably 'better' here and smoothed the sound out a bit to make it more palatable. I still stand by the fact that they play loud without much distortion and sound open and dynamic with good recordings. I still also stand by the fact that I preferred the looks of the Nautilus'. But please understand this everyone - I make my own mind up about my purchases and have used lots of different gear over the years and even tested stuff for manufacturers many years ago - from pickup arms, replacement platters for turntables through to loudspeakers in anechoic chambers. For anyone who's interested (and it seems that not many people are here) I personally think the 9.1s are very good value for money - incorporating what seem to be good pre and power amps in active mode, good quality DACs (I did a comprehensive comparison between the top range Meridian 588-24 CD player and these as part of my own judging criteria) as well as robust and well finished loudspeaker cabinets. The biggest test will be when my wife has a good listen to these. She's a musician and composer, has been a musical director and has no interest whatsoever in technology, boxes or cables. But she does have a critical and accurate listening ear. She consistently picked out subtle differences between top-end CD players (under blind listening tests) - which is why we ended up with the 588-24 for its lovely 'organic' sound. I'm happy to post her feedback here if anyone's interested (and I'll do this honestly - even if she's critical) so you can get another subjective opinion. But please - keep replies to this on a sensible basis. The jibing is actually pretty pointless.

TRENDING THREADS