AVI ADM9.1 - Initial impressions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Fair point David. Thats a far better kind of post than a sarcastic "maybe i should try them", to which you will only ever get one answer. If i may be so condescending.

It isnt that surprising to me that punters, and sometimes retailers, get abit uppity, but i fail to see why Ashley gets so irate. i mean, he doesnt use many dealers and he sells them at the same price through dealers as he does direct, which indicates he doesnt need the money. His attitude also indicates this, plus incredible confidence in his product.

So, one has to wonder.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
al7478:he sells them at the same price through dealers as he does direct, which indicates he doesnt need the money. His attitude also indicates this, plus incredible confidence in his product.

Doesn't a company selling at the same price direct as it does through dealers mean that it's making a lot of money on the product when it sells direct, considering dealers take a margin on the products and one assumes the company isn't selling to the retailers at a loss?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

al7478:he sells them at the same price through dealers as he does direct, which indicates he doesnt need the money. His attitude also indicates this, plus incredible confidence in his product.

Doesn't a company selling at the same price direct as it does through dealers mean that it's making a lot of money on the product when it sells direct, considering dealers take a margin on the products and one assumes the company isn't selling to the retailers at a loss?

Good point well made.

As for your post re the other place - duly noted.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Bialykot:(even critcising punctuation / paragraphs etc... ???)

There's a very good reason for that. The post I just pulled this quote from was in one block of text. Did I bother reading the rest of it? No, why? Because it makes my eyes hurt just looking at it!

If you want to make a point (which you seemingly do), at least present it in a format that makes it easy to digest, otherwise people just aren't going to bother listening to you.

A

Anonymous

Bialykot:Gosh - what a strange forum. I have posted similar first posts on other forums over the years (about different bits of kit and MY opinions not manufacturers). But this is the first forum where most posters (to this thread at least) have reacted very strangely and emotionally, with some personal jibes (even critcising punctuation / paragraphs etc... ???) but with no objective reactions around my topic. Blimey. Where's the 'Welcome first poster and thanks for your review BUT plus whatever you want to say or argue in a reasonable manner'? So some of you have an impression of me already (quite wrong) and I suppose I now have an impression of you (guess what that is?). So I'll try and keep on topic and be objective as I'm beginning to behave the same way as others here. The ADM9.1s fo work very well for ME. From what I've read here many people are passing judgements without having heard them (I gather they are difficult to source because of AVIs selling model). I merely thought it might be interesting for some here to share MY thoughts about them as I actually have them, use them and have formed a first impressions about them. I have not said anywhere to throw away expensive separates and buy these - that's up to you as it is up to me on how I spend my money. (And why shouldn't I be able to do that in a first post - what's all that about then?). (And sorry for the brackets if you think in some way I'm an imposter!???) But there I go again - getting swept up in the emotional **** so let's stay on topic. The ADM9.1s have achieved pretty well what I was after with very good sound in MY room which can be very boomy as I explained in first post. Read it again. In particular I like how the 3 inputs (2 digital and one analogue) remember the last volume setting that was used. This is useful as I use a surround sound processor for movies and can simply flip the input and not have to rebalance the sound as I did with my Meridian pre amp. I did say they can sound light but in my opinion actually close to my electrostatic headphones which also sound light in the bass - but pretty accurate. The bass does seem to roll off rapidly below 60Hz but many small speakers behave the same way. The difference between these and some passive speakers I have listened to (including my old Nautilus 805s) is that the bass seems much tighter in my room and therefore 'better' for me. I can hear bass lines (not the 20-40Hz stuff that shakes the house!) more clearly on most of the types of music I listen to. Dynamically challenged recordings (most pop) don't sound great - even harsh. The B&Ws I used were probably 'better' here and smoothed the sound out a bit to make it more palatable. I still stand by the fact that they play loud without much distortion and sound open and dynamic with good recordings. I still also stand by the fact that I preferred the looks of the Nautilus'. But please understand this everyone - I make my own mind up about my purchases and have used lots of different gear over the years and even tested stuff for manufacturers many years ago - from pickup arms, replacement platters for turntables through to loudspeakers in anechoic chambers. For anyone who's interested (and it seems that not many people are here) I personally think the 9.1s are very good value for money - incorporating what seem to be good pre and power amps in active mode, good quality DACs (I did a comprehensive comparison between the top range Meridian 588-24 CD player and these as part of my own judging criteria) as well as robust and well finished loudspeaker cabinets. The biggest test will be when my wife has a good listen to these. She's a musician and composer, has been a musical director and has no interest whatsoever in technology, boxes or cables. But she does have a critical and accurate listening ear. She consistently picked out subtle differences between top-end CD players (under blind listening tests) - which is why we ended up with the 588-24 for its lovely 'organic' sound. I'm happy to post her feedback here if anyone's interested (and I'll do this honestly - even if she's critical) so you can get another subjective opinion. But please - keep replies to this on a sensible basis. The jibing is actually pretty pointless.

Am I the only one who lost interest 2 sentences in? Not being funny mate, but you may find your message comes across better if you can more succint.

Oh, and a belated welcome to the forum! Look forward to your contributions on a wide range of subjects.

idc

Bialykot:Gosh - what a strange forum. I have posted similar first posts on other forums over the years (about different bits of kit and MY opinions not manufacturers). But this is the first forum where most posters (to this thread at least) have reacted very strangely and emotionally, with some personal jibes (even critcising punctuation / paragraphs etc... ???) but with no objective reactions around my topic. Blimey. Where's the 'Welcome first poster and thanks for your review BUT plus whatever you want to say or argue in a reasonable manner'? .......

Hi Bialykot. There is a lot of respect for AVI on products on the forum, particularly as a number of long standing, knowledgeable and respected members, Messiah, al and Nick have the ADM9.1s and rate them highly.

Please do a search and you will find various posts about the ADM9.1s and how excellent they are from first posters. I have never seem a previous thread resurrected or a short first post along the lines of bought these, like them, what do others think? Or, critically, bought them having problems or don't like them, what should I do. Hence the suspicion.

Also, the owner of AVI has been very rude to people on this forum and seems to think it is OK to dish out abuse and criticism, but will not accept it.

Would you pleas post pictures of your new system and any ones of your old system, which sounds amazing BTW in the 'Your System's part of the forum?

Thanks

idc.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard: al7478:he sells them at the same price through dealers as he does direct, which indicates he doesnt need the money. His attitude also indicates this, plus incredible confidence in his product.

This is something I've 'delicately' tried to put across with regards to other direct sellers in the past, but no one seems to be able to grasp the concept.

Bialykot

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi all who welcomed me - thank you, it's appreciated. To the posters who lost interest and don't want to read - that's fine, no worries that's up to you. Some might want to read this though and that's also fine. And apologies about the first post formatting - late at night when I wrote that and it got messed up. Problem with short reviews - they don't work 'cause you end up with stuff like 'these are rubbish' as one poster has said (or 'these are great') without understanding why. And lastly - I'm trying to focus on the loudspeakers and not the company - how it conducts its business or what margins it makes. Some people are turning this into something personal which I'm trying to avoid.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Bialykot, hi. i think you'll find these are not unfriendly forums. the "issue", as i'm sure you're aware, is that over time there have been a few people who repeatedly post under different usernames banging on about the adm9s, and getting a little abusive to anyone who is happy to not go down the avi route. they then get banned, only to crop up again under a different name. not just on this forum either, it does tend to make people suspicious when we get a first time poster who looks like they're starting it all over again. and i know it shouldn't make a difference, but when the owner shows the attitude that he does, ie. ringing a retailer up at work and abusing him, for some people that colours their thoughts towards the product.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Do you get a self defence handbook when you buy these speakers - all owners seem to get really defensive and feel the need to provide evidence that they are in a position to judge and recommend these like no one that buys any other make of kit!

I'm glad you're happy with them but sorry just can't get as passionate or worked up about any of my pieces of hi-fi kit

They're nice looking boxes and seem good value for money - may suit some ppl not others as any speaker and only thing you can really say is try before you buy.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Bialykot:Hi all who welcomed me - thank you, it's appreciated. To the posters who lost interest and don't want to read - that's fine, no worries that's up to you. Some might want to read this though and that's also fine. And apologies about the first post formatting - late at night when I wrote that and it got messed up.

So what's the excuse for the last post then?

I'm not asking for much mate, just hit the enter key after a few sentences, it would make an awful lot of difference!

Bialykot

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi again. Not aware of people logging in under different aliases but that still shouldn't excuse the sort of replies I've been getting. I've actually put forward lots of different reviews of kit across the years in many forums - so this isn't just a one off for the ADMs. Thought some folk may be interested first hand in someone's experiences with them.

As I said, I don't particularly want to get into personalities - just focus on the kit in question. And no, I'm not getting defensive about the ADMs - I've used loads of great speakers and miss those (eg original Quads, Rogers, Celestion, KEF, B&W). It's just that the ADMs plug a gap at the moment and actually manage to sound rather good - to my ears at least.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, Bialykot, but it's a forum, and people are entitled to speak their mind unless they transgress house rules, or are not what they seem...

Compared with the bumpy ride some posters have encountered in the past, I think you've had it pretty easy so far...

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Bialykot:

Hi again. Not aware of people logging in under different aliases but that still shouldn't excuse the sort of replies I've been getting. I've actually put forward lots of different reviews of kit across the years in many forums - so this isn't just a one off for the ADMs. Thought some folk may be interested first hand in someone's experiences with them.

As I said, I don't particularly want to get into personalities - just focus on the kit in question. And no, I'm not getting defensive about the ADMs - I've used loads of great speakers and miss those (eg original Quads, Rogers, Celestion, KEF, B&W). It's just that the ADMs plug a gap at the moment and actually manage to sound rather good - to my ears at least.

Bialykot - i do actually think your legit as you have posted on other forums on other products and you have mentioned you understand the reasons why ppl take 1st time posters on the AVI with a pinch of salt, not sure why you felt the need to defend Ashley in your opening post trust me he can do that himself!!! - please feel free to share your knowledge on other products as sure you can contribute to a number of threads on the forum especially on computer music, headphones ect So please stay and move on from this thread!

Bialykot

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Andrew - understand and that's not in question. It's all the false assumptions and weird comments about formatting etc... (particularly when it was my first post about something I thought would be relevant in a hifi forum - ie hifi didn't seem to be the subject, just a bunch of 'dysfunctional comments' which totally suprised me).

I've obviously touched a raw nerve here without realising it - but I can assure you I am bona fide and not affiliated with AVI in any way - other than being a satisfied customer.

But the main thing is that I do own a pair of these speakers and they do compare very well with other good products on the market (leaving aside reviews, margins, personalities ...).

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bialykot,

Welcome to WHFSV!

I've steered a little clear of the ADM discussions for quite a while, as I wanted to get a good insight into other people's impressions.

I was tempted to have a listen to a pair (on the assumption that I could probably afford them if I chopped in my Naims/MAs), but probably couldn't go as far as the sub as well.

The thing that worries me is the bottom end - I have heard Ash comment that if it's too rolled off "to use the EQ in iTunes to add a bit around 60Hz", which won't really work for vinyl!

Have you found the bottom end as rolled off as some have said?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Bialykot:Hi Andrew - understand and that's not in question. It's all the false assumptions and weird comments about formatting etc...

The comment about the lack of paragraph breaks was just a joke. We do that occasionally, as it makes the forum more lighthearted.

Bialykot:I've obviously touched a raw nerve here without realising it - but I
can assure you I am bona fide and not affiliated with AVI in any way -
other than being a satisfied customer.

I can't speak for other forum members, but I haven't ever suggested you were so affiliated. But for them to assume you were was a reasonable assumption, given the past track record on this subject-matter, including the person who runs at least one computer audio forum adopting multiple online personalities here to promote the speakers, and the fact that the tone of your first-ever post, however unwittingly, seemed to echo those made in the past by others promoting the speakers.

Bialykot:But the main thing is that I do own a pair of these speakers and
they do compare very well with other good products on the market
(leaving aside reviews, margins, personalities ...).

Yes, you said. Several times now.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Bialykot:It's all the false assumptions and weird comments about formatting etc... (particularly when it was my first post about something I thought would be relevant in a hifi forum - ie hifi didn't seem to be the subject, just a bunch of 'dysfunctional comments' which totally suprised me).

Well to be honest, I've not seen anyone else struggle with "accidentally" pressing return so the rest of the sentence is on the next line - I can understand spelling and punctuation mistakes, and many people don't use paragraphs at all - but to press enter half way through a line on several lines in a row is pretty rare - this I would say is more down to a copying/pasting issue. It's the only time I've ever done that.

A

Anonymous

For some time I have been considering buying the ADM9.1 speakers, primarily because they happen to be the integrated system I am looking for. I therefore very much appreciate hearing your user review of this system.

BTW I was actually looking for this type of system before I came across the ADMs.

I wonder how many people, like me, are drawn towards this product because of its integrated approach and not necessarily because they are in search of the ultimate upgrade in sound?

Frustratingly, this product is difficult to audition, however I am happy with the sound of my current system, but not the clutter, therefore if the ADMs sound better then this would just be a bonus.

If anyone can point me in the direction of similar systems (at this price point) I would appreciate the info, I am also tempted by JBL's offering but would find it difficult to replace my chromed Aura amp and CD player for these rather industrial looking JBLs.

Escapism

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Hi Bialykot, Welcome to WHFSV! I've steered a little clear of the ADM discussions for quite a while, as I wanted to get a good insight into other people's impressions. I was tempted to have a listen to a pair (on the assumption that I could probably afford them if I chopped in my Naims/MAs), but probably couldn't go as far as the sub as well. The thing that worries me is the bottom end - I have heard Ash comment that if it's too rolled off "to use the EQ in iTunes to add a bit around 60Hz", which won't really work for vinyl! Have you found the bottom end as rolled off as some have said?

Bialykot may have a differing opinion than mine, but IMHO they go just as low as any other stand mount I've heard using the same size drivers. However, they don't boom at all which some speakers can do, so this sometimes gives an impression that they are rolled off.

I will say though, that some music with lots of low bass lines holding up the music simply will not be audible on the 9.1's (such as Peace Orchestra, Thievery Corporation, Hybrid etc) and this is really where you need the/a sub. This would be the same for any other speaker of the same dimension I would have thought.

If you listen to lots of bass heavy music, definitely search for a well matched sub if you want to consider speakers this size.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts