AVI ADM 9RS Mini Review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

spiny norman said:
MajorFubar said:
If anything, the fierce counter-reaction towards them makes me want to hear them even more.

So perhaps those apparently attacking the brand are double agents, just there to provoke exactly the reaction you have?

(cue Twilight Zone music)

Or alternatively, perhaps I am deliberately keeping this thread at the top of the latest posts page on the promise of a pair of DM5s...

techboy

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Is this the correct order?

AVI ADM
9 old
9 new
9T old
9T new
9.1T
9RS old
9RSS
9RS new

I have 9RS old.

Currently only 9rs old and 9rs new are being sold, others are discontinued.

Right?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
techboy said:
Is this the correct order? AVI ADM 9 old 9 new 9.1 9T old 9T new 9.1T 9RS old 9RSS 9RS new I have 9RS old. Currently only 9rs old and 9rs new are being sold, others are discontinued. Right?

That's about it: this is, after all, the brand that's against all that box-swapping and continual upgrading. :rofl:

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
techboy said:
Is this the correct order? AVI ADM 9 old 9 new 9.1 9T old 9T new 9.1T 9RS old 9RSS 9RS new I have 9RS old. Currently only 9rs old and 9rs new are being sold, others are discontinued. Right?

I think its - 9, 9.1, 9.1T (the same as 9.1 but with the phase on the tweeter reversed), 9RS + 9RSS (both were offered at the same time), 9RS (new). The only current model is the 9RS.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
JMacMan said:
The thing is, just about any AVI product discussion turns very quickly from merely being about a HiFi speaker, and it's subjective or (hopefully) objective qualities, into one reflecting upon members thoughts of the AVI philosophy and marketing approach, and the experience of same.

Insults have been thrown from both sides of the fence, and many people have not only been insulted, but quite hurt by the experience.

Unfortunately, people being what they are, when you ***** a mans pride, people tend to remember and are not overly quick to forgive or forget.

Especially when one can stil read on the AVI forums, open and denigrating insult about the membership here on WHF forums.

It's a great pity that politics, if that be the right word to use, enter into just about every AVI discussion, but people are people, and feelings are feelings.

They're a great speaker undoubtedly, despite being 'legacy' in design terms themselves (much as 'they' would never admit it) with their 1950's cabinet 'technology', despite the fact that 'they' like to attack everything else with respects to separates as being 'legacy' whilst their product is supposedly state of the art, notwithstanding even other equally capable active designs.

It's a pity really, as the product should be able to stand on it's own merits, without all the rancour surrounding the company, however I doubt that there'll be much change in the future, unless both camps are prepared to lay down the sword.

Fanboys of the brand being what fanboys are, and people with wounded feelings being what they are, I don't see that happening anytime soon unfortunately.

As I say, it's a pity, as they're undoubtedly a good product, well worthy of standing on their own merits without all the unpleasant politics surrounding them.

JMac

This post nicely summed up the situation.

Until all of us grow up (that includes both AVI Disciples and AVI Haters) we will always have these pointless b&%$^fests about AVI.

Everybody is the "innocent victim" and it's all the fault of the other side... PLEASE!!!!

At this stage it doesn't even matter who started it, both sides are now equally guilty of provoking this pointless conflict.

I'm sure a lot people will disagree with me on this, but I really miss the days when WHF Mods would just lock down these threads as soon as they started up...

I wish WHF would simply ban these discussions on this forum (there is an AVI forum for discussions of how good AVI products are)... and I wish AVI would simply submit their products for review to WHF instead...

I'd much rather read a WHF review on the AVI 9RS and DM5 than another one of these pointless threads...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
techboy said:
Are the genelec's 6000p a pair or piece?

They're just under £7000 per pair including the custom Genelec stands and the Genelec microphone and software which is used for setting up the DSP functions which are built into the speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I like the tweeters that Adam uses. I've only had a very brief listen to the A8X and I liked them a lot. Unsuprisingly with a larger 8" driver they have more bass than the ADM9T's. Given the choice between the A8X and the smaller A7X with a subwoofer I'd prefer the A7X. I'd say that the ADM9T's are a better though with a bit more clarity. They're more natural and realistic sounding IMO.

The closest speaker that I've heard to the ADM9T's is probably the Quested S7R monitors. It's another favourite of mine which also comes with a matching 10" sub. The ADM's are a bit cheaper though and have proper veneers and grills which makes them the obvious choice for home use.

techboy

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
How much does a quested pair cost? How much better is it than 9T?

But considering AVIs cost 2x+ times of A5X, would you call them worth the difference?

Thank You

Aakshey

T

the record spot

Steve, wasn't there some chat around the DM5 being a kick in the teeth off the ADMs? Seems to me that's the way to go according to AVI themselves if so?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
techboy said:
How much does a quested pair cost? How much better is it than 9T?

The S7R are about £1450 per pair plus £1500 for their 10" subwoofer. I wouldn't say they're any better just very similar. It's hard to say for sure because I heard them on separate occasions but I think the S7R may have been a touch smoother in the treble where the ADM9T are a bit more detailed.

I read a review on a pro audio forum once where a guy had borrowed several of the top pro audio monitors from various brands for his home studio (including the more expensive V2108 and V3110 from Quested's range). Dispite the other options available he kept coming back to the cheaper S7R because they sound so easy and enjoyable to listen to while also having bags of detail and clarity. He also remarked that the larger V2108 and V3110 sounded very similar to each other dispite being such different designs which is something that I had noticed too.

techboy said:
But considering AVIs cost 2x+ times of A5X, would you call them worth the difference?

Yes they're absolutely worth the difference IMO. AVI offer better value for money than any other brand that I've come across (although I'm a self confessed AVI fanboi ;) ).

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
That's called marketing, Record Spot. The big A knows there's lots of competion for his new speaker, so he's trying to convince the converted that a smaller speaker with minimal features is the way to go.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Down on features is its problem. No DAC, no volume control, single input, no slave function. That makes it less attractive certainly than the Adams series, and, in fact, against many others as most offer some form of room correction - and have more than one input.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:
This post nicely summed up the situation.

Until all of us grow up (that includes both AVI Disciples and AVI Haters) we will always have these pointless b&%$^fests about AVI.

Everybody is the "innocent victim" and it's all the fault of the other side... PLEASE!!!!

At this stage it doesn't even matter who started it, both sides are now equally guilty of provoking this pointless conflict.

If you take a look from the top of this thread, that is patently not true.

Someone posts review, it is instantly and childishly jumped on.

As mentioned also in the thread, had that been a review for KEF, you would have simply had our resident dealer (who seems like a decent chap by the way- anyone who like BoC can't be bad.) on enthusing, and others complimenting them on the great choice they made and suggesting amps or CD players.

I agree that things said by certain people elsewhere,can be quite (ahem) inflammatory, but over here, it does seem that people instantly want to turn any Avi thread into a train wreck...

I'll be posting a review in the coming weeks. I am no fanboy. I simply like VFM (and no wardrobe sized second hand "bargains") and good sound quality.

If my thread gets pissed all over by the spivs I'll get angry...and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Down on features is its problem. No DAC, no volume control, single input, no slave function. That makes it less attractive certainly than the Adams series, and, in fact, against many others as most offer some form of room correction - and have more than one input.

Which is entirely true, if you are buying speakers based on feature count considerations...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:
If my thread gets pissed all over by the spivs I'll get angry...and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry :)

credible-hulk_zps4e60da56.jpg

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
For the AVIs I would, they are as much about convenience as sound, so cutting that part out puts it up against speakers that do more, and may indeed sound better.

For some reason the chief didn't seem happy when I pointed this out to him. It's a lot of money for a speaker whose main advantage is its wood veneer. Still don't understand why he's afraid to put them out for review in the mags, nor distribute them through dealers where comparisons can be made.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
@ the OP. Good review. :)

Don't be put off by all of the bile and rubbish posted in this thread. Most of the people here are quite nice chaps when they're not discussing AVI.

I found your headphone comparison very interesting. I also use earphones to help make comparisons between speakers. This is because they can be taken everywhere with me and provide a constant unchanging benchmark with which to compare speakers to.

For example I know that the Genelec 8260a speakers have better clarity than ATC SCM50A speakers even though I heard them several months apart. I can be sure of this because my Westone earphones had slightly better clarity than the ATC speakers but slightly less clarity than the Genelec speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts