AVI ADM 9RS Mini Review

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I can't believe I'm seeing more of this bull***t on the forum. Another thread that has turned to mush.

Quite

The thing is, just about any AVI product discussion turns very quickly from merely being about a HiFi speaker, and it's subjective or (hopefully) objective qualities, into one reflecting upon members thoughts of the AVI philosophy and marketing approach, and the experience of same.

Insults have been thrown from both sides of the fence, and many people have not only been insulted, but quite hurt by the experience.

Unfortunately, people being what they are, when you ***** a mans pride, people tend to remember and are not overly quick to forgive or forget.

Especially when one can stil read on the AVI forums, open and denigrating insult about the membership here on WHF forums.

It's a great pity that politics, if that be the right word to use, enter into just about every AVI discussion, but people are people, and feelings are feelings.

They're a great speaker undoubtedly, despite being 'legacy' in design terms themselves (much as 'they' would never admit it) with their 1950's cabinet 'technology', despite the fact that 'they' like to attack everything else with respects to separates as being 'legacy' whilst their product is supposedly state of the art, notwithstanding even other equally capable active designs.

It's a pity really, as the product should be able to stand on it's own merits, without all the rancour surrounding the company, however I doubt that there'll be much change in the future, unless both camps are prepared to lay down the sword.

Fanboys of the brand being what fanboys are, and people with wounded feelings being what they are, I don't see that happening anytime soon unfortunately.

As I say, it's a pity, as they're undoubtedly a good product, well worthy of standing on their own merits without all the unpleasant politics surrounding them.

JMac

T

the record spot

They reap what they sow JM. The supposed cure for upgradeitis is the other one. Oh and let's not forget how last year Class D amps were rubbish and you needed at least 100 watts a side and this year they're the mutts gonads and 50 watts is class leading. Aye, whatever...

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
JMacMan said:
Especially when one can stil read on the AVI forums, open and denigrating insult about the membership here on WHF forums.

I think you'll find most of the insults occur in the Off-topic section of that site, which is invisible to the casual viewer, and only open to those of us who are signed up and approved members.

It's all to do with letting people be as defamatory as they like without any comeback, apparently, but it's good to know a company with nothing to hide feels the need to have both a hidden section of its website forums (which it never had when it was misleading readers pretending to be a completely independent forum) and a closed, approval-only, Facebook group.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
a closed, approval-only, Facebook group.

The Facebook group wasn't started by Avi, it was started and is run by a Norwegian chap who was tired of discussing Avi kit on forums only to have to filter out pages and pages of guff. Can't think why.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
They reap what they sow JM. The supposed cure for upgradeitis is the other one. Oh and let's not forget how last year Class D amps were rubbish and you needed at least 100 watts a side and this year they're the mutts gonads and 50 watts is class leading. Aye, whatever...

From personal experience and observation, I would have to sadly agree.

It's a pity, as they're undoubtedly a good speaker - but then so are many others, and the politics of the company as you so aptly point out, is off putting to many, no doubt.

JMac

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I'd rather be a 'sad @rsed cretin' than a daily mail reader though, tbf.
Is that what they said? Bet they're the same ones who complain if anyone criticises AVI - how hypocritical can you get!

Get rid of the lot of them if you ask me. I mean, it's not as though the speakers can be that great, given Mr A is afraid to have them reviewed.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Steve, there seems to be some dipute about whether the chap wrote the review or not. If he did, and not at the instigation of you know who, then fair enough. If he didn't, then it's plagiarism.

Apart from that, these excessively subjective reviews don't prove much - arbitrary scales, hiperbole, you know. Give me Stereophile (which I'm subscribing to now) any day. Shame Ashley doesn't send his stuff to magazines like that. They seem pretty impartial, which I suppose they must since everything gets measured.

They also don't slag off other manufacturers or other forums.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd also like to see a review complete with measurements in Stereophile magazine too.

AVI forum politics aside, as far as the OP's review goes I'd be surprised if it was a setup. There are a lot of very happy AVI owners who've wrote reviews and voluntarily copy and pasted them to a few different forums (myself included).

techboy

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have explained the reason above.

[EDITED BY MODS - please do not attack other members]. HINT: Most speaker setups sub 2000 pounds dont have the resolution and sound quality of HD 650 headphones, whether you like it or not. I am not saying none have, but most don't. Few perhaps do. AVI is one of them. And hence it is a very valid comparison. I also compared headphones to my Aktimates and the headphones blew away those speakers! Got it?

Thank You

Aakshey

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
char_lotte said:
Stay tuned next week folks....I'll be posting my review of apples and oranges. Ridiculous.

Then we'll know it's a put-up job if you say you don't need to mess around with legacy oranges when an apple is all you need, and will taste 10,000 times better than any fruit promoted by idiotic citrusphiles. And anyway Mart says oranges are designed wrong (he was a rocket scientist, you know) and only have half the juice they claim to deliver.

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I should really stay away, was really hoping to learn more about objectivity and double blind testing.

Alas , no science just flowery audiophool nonsense.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
techboy said:
How much do the genelec's cost?

They're £6000 three way pro audio monitors.

techboy said:
Is 9T the first AVI?

The ADM9T were not the first version but there have been several quite major changes made to both the drivers and crossover since the ADM9T. People who have heard the ADM9T and the newest ADM9RS say that there is quite a big improvement with the new versions (I await fr0g's comparison with bated breath).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one fed up to the back teeth of seeing every thread about AVI products on here turn into a fight?

If I had the money, then AVIs (and any other DAC-equipped actives) would be on my shortlist to audition, because the simplicity of plugging a digital source into a set of speakers and that being more or less 'it' really attracts me. But I have to say, based on what ALWAYS happens on this forum, here would be just about the last place I'd bother writing any review. Everyone who does so gets accused of being a spammer or one of Ashley's payrolled minions.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Am I the only one fed up to the back teeth of seeing every thread about AVI products on here turn into a fight?

If I had the money, then AVIs (and any other DAC-equipped actives) would be on my shortlist to audition, because the simplicity of plugging a digital source into a set of speakers and that being more or less 'it' really attracts me. But I have to say, based on what ALWAYS happens on this forum, here would be just about the last place I'd bother writing any review. Everyone who does so gets accused of being a spammer or one of Ashley's payrolled minions.

No you're not, and quite. Unfortunately, some mods just can't help themselves, nor certain posters. Regretably, however, there are a few folk who seem suspect.

Me? Big fat hypocrite, as I like to sling mud at whoever I think deserves it at the time.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Everyone who does so gets accused of being a spammer or one of Ashley's payrolled minions.

Well, the brand has got

historybook.gif

in this respect, after all.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
As Alec says, there have been a few obvious 'suspicious' posts in the past. But Christ, it kicks off every time the brand turns up in a thread. Boring. If anything, the fierce counter-reaction towards them makes me want to hear them even more.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
If anything, the fierce counter-reaction towards them makes me want to hear them even more.

So perhaps those apparently attacking the brand are double agents, just there to provoke exactly the reaction you have?

(cue Twilight Zone music)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts