AVI ADM 9.1

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:

We're all on the same side, aren't we? What I'd like to know is: what is the relationship between Ashley and drummerman? They must know each other pretty well - well enough to envite a forum member for a personal demo. If so, then, from what I've read, drummerman is helping to promote that product.

Sorry, but the whole thing sounds a bit fishy. Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick?!

... with this ... and I try to be as polite as possible even though you dont deserve it mate ...

You, if you really wanted, would surely be invited too for a dem. If you read the start of this tiresome thread which I now wished I have'nt started you may see that I too have certain reservations about the 9's. Nothing's perfect. Then again, why should'nt I say good things repeatedly if I believe in something my friend. AVI is not the only product I think is good. So, in your opinion I promote the companies product. So be it.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I have already posted my feeling towards AVI's marketing tactic elsewhere on the forum. I thought Musical Fidelity were the king of "outrageous statement" (remember when A.M siad "if you amp has power rating of under 200 watts, they shouldn't be class as a proper HiFi products"!) well until I read about AVI's MAC/ipod are the High-end source! I couldn't even laugh at that one!

John Duncan

drummerman:plastic penguin:

We're all on the same side, aren't we? What I'd like to know is: what is the relationship between Ashley and drummerman? They must know each other pretty well - well enough to envite a forum member for a personal demo. If so, then, from what I've read, drummerman is helping to promote that product.

Sorry, but the whole thing sounds a bit fishy. Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick?!

... with this ... and I try to be as polite as possible even though you dont deserve it mate ...

You, if you really wanted, would surely be invited too for a dem. If you read the start of this tiresome thread which I now wished I have'nt started you may see that I too have certain reservations about the 9's. Nothing's perfect. Then again, why should'nt I say good things repeatedly if I believe in something my friend. AVI is not the only product I think is good. So, in your opinion I promote the companies product. So be it.

I did warn 'im........

For what it's worth, I don;t think anybody (else) is questioning your integrity, DM.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ashley James:

I have to admit we are very wary indeed of giving ADM9.1s to What Hi Fi
for review yet. They did review the ADM9s and gave them five stars, but
missed the point completely by not using them with an Apple Computer as
we'd suggested and Simon appeared to agree to. You don't need a hi fi
system at all and a CD player simply doesn't have the functionality of
Apple's superior interface not to mention all the other benefits;
Internet radio stations, downloadable TV programs, Movies, your photos,
24 bit reference recordings, the list is almost endless and increases
daily!
This is a product of the future and its benefits need to be completely
understood and explained so people understand and for a review to be
useful.
There seems to be a deliberate separation of computers and hi fi in
magazines which is the complete opposite of what's happening in
people's homes. The vast majority of our customers are getting rid of
extremely expensive systems to buy ADM9.1s, and still reporting an
improvement too!
We experience all sorts of resistance from Dealers who don't want more
for less! Also many customers prefer not to visit traditional hi fi
dealers now. As one distinguished Anaesthetist wrote "thank you for
recommending dealer X, but I don't want attitude, I have more than
enough to contend with at home!"
Drummerman accepted an invitation to our factory that is open to
everyone with a serious interest (including WHF who really need to) for
lunch and to listen. People come from all over the world to see us and
I'm demonstrating almost every day. Almost every one becomes a sale,
but believe it or not 90% of sales are made without hearing them and
all are delighted!
Computer magazines outsell Hi Fi mags by a huge margin and with TV,
Computers and hi fi merging very quickly and this factor needs to be
better represented.
Ashley

Happy to come up, Ashley - just never been asked before now. Please email me at the usual address and we'll sort it out.

And as someone who spent eight years working on computer magazines, I think I might understand the concept of convergence.
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Surely you know the nursery rhyme:

Doctor Foster went to Gloucester
In a shower of rain,
He stepped in a puddle,
Right up to his middle,
And never went there again.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:
I have already posted my feeling towards AVI's marketing tactic elsewhere on the forum. I thought Musical Fidelity were the king of "outrageous statement" (remember when A.M siad "if you amp has power rating of under 200 watts, they shouldn't be class as a proper HiFi products"!) well until I read about AVI's MAC/ipod are the High-end source! I couldn't even laugh at that one!

While I am not so sure about iPod, a Mac to a decent DAC(I assume the one in the ADM9s is decent), will be every bit as high a source as an overpriced, (and thoroughly outdated) CD transport.

A

Anonymous

Claire I will do that, I've invited your people before but it's not happened for years.

For the record, Drummerman is an extremely nice and kindly bloke as was the friend he was with.

I'd point out to people who seem to enjoy "having a go on these Forums" that you can't see the person you're talking to, so it's wrong to assume he's hostile. It's more than likely that he or she are decent honest and good. Most are, therefore give them the benefit of the doubt, and if you disagree, do so graciously. That way discussions move forward and everyone learns far more from them.

It seems to me that the Brits behave appallingly on Forums and as a result the American ones achieve far more as well as having a more pleasant atmosphere.

I can't believe the amount of rubbish we've had to put up with since ADM9.1s appeared and most of it could have been avoided by asking me for clarification as do up to 100 daily!

Part of all this is the clash between engineering companies like us who are able to relate what we hear to what we measure and who use people in broadcast, record and movie production to evaluate what we do and those believe in magic cables and tapping their feet to the music etc despite at least a million tons of evidence to show it's all boloney!

Ash

A

Anonymous

Im opting for the 9.1s for my study (where my computer is situated and I spend a lot of time). Where do I order?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ashley James:but missed the point completely by not using them with an Apple Computer as we'd suggested
Ashley James:There seems to be a deliberate separation of computers and hi fi in magazines which is the complete opposite of what's happening in people's homes.
Isn't this a bit of a contradiction? I think you'll probably find the vast majority of people's homes have a CD player of sorts as well as a PC, but very few have an Apple Computer. Why does it have to be an Apple Computer? Surely a PC input into a DAC playing the same type of file is going to give you exactly the same sound...

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

In a shower of rain,
He stepped in a puddle,
Right up to his middle,

Happens all the time in Gloucester, apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_floods#Gloucestershire

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ashley James:give them the benefit of the doubt, and if you disagree, do so graciously. That way discussions move forward and everyone learns far more from them.

Ashley James:ÿ

Part of all this is the clash between engineering companies like us who are able to relate what we hear to what we measure and who use people in broadcast, record and movie production to evaluate what we do and those believe in magic cables and tapping their feet to the music etc despite at least a million tons of evidence to show it's all boloney!Ash

Practice what you preach, Mr J - that's hardly gracious disagreement!ÿ

Anyhow, I look forward to the factory visit - and returning with a pair of 9.1s!ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:drummerman:plastic penguin:

I did warn 'im........ For what it's worth, I don;t think anybody (else) is questioning your integrity, DM.

No worries and thanks

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
Ashley James:give them the benefit of the doubt, and if you disagree, do so graciously. That way discussions move forward and everyone learns far more from them.

Part of all this is the clash between engineering companies like us who are able to relate what we hear to what we measure and who use people in broadcast, record and movie production to evaluate what we do and those believe in magic cables and tapping their feet to the music etc despite at least a million tons of evidence to show it's all boloney!Ash

It is from me! Claire and no offence was intended and don't forget what I've been on the receiving end of!

Ash

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Alan Sircom:Clare Newsome:

In a shower of rain,
He stepped in a puddle,
Right up to his middle,

I'm interested to know what your reference system is Mr Sircom. No doubt it's got some quite Choice components?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Anyhow, I look forward to the factory visit - and returned with a pair of 9.1s!ÿ

Yeah, but some would say it is evidence based ;)

Now, about our banter a couple of pages ag:

im geting pretty sick of doing this, but strongly believe in it when necassary, and here it is necassary.

on reflection, i think you're rght in your last reply, and i apologise. i obviously got out the wrong side of bed. again.

Andrew - i havent re-red that other thread again, but i think somewhere we were at cross purposes, and on some points we simply disagree. I'm not sure you did actually missunderstand me in quite the way i had in mind earlier, either. However, if i can clarify any of my views on that one, id be glad to do so.

if, however, you "aint bovvered", thats fine by me. itll spare me the effort lol!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:Alan Sircom:Clare Newsome:

In a shower of rain,
He stepped in a puddle,
Right up to his middle,

I'm interested to know what your reference system is Mr Sircom. No doubt it's got some quite Choice components?

The one and only? If so, respect without sarcasm. But I'm still trying to figure out if I have to align the screw heads south, west, north or east?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Alan Sircom:Clare Newsome:

In a shower of rain,
He stepped in a puddle,
Right up to his middle,

ALAN SIRCOM...holy cow, I have 2 of my favourate reviewers in the forum
emotion-2.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
al7478:

Now, about our banter a couple of pages ag:

im geting pretty sick of doing this, but strongly believe in it when necassary, and here it is necassary.

on reflection, i think you're rght in your last reply, and i apologise. i obviously got out the wrong side of bed. again.

No worries. Lord knows I do it enough myself
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

professorhat:Ashley James:but missed the point completely by not using them with an Apple Computer as we'd suggested
Ashley James:There seems to be a deliberate separation of computers and hi fi in magazines which is the complete opposite of what's happening in people's homes.
Isn't this a bit of a contradiction? I think you'll probably find the vast majority of people's homes have a CD player of sorts as well as a PC, but very few have an Apple Computer. Why does it have to be an Apple Computer? Surely a PC input into a DAC playing the same type of file is going to give you exactly the same sound...

And this is the point I was trying to make, and I direct this to you, Ashley - a Mac is, since their adoption of Intel, to all intents and purposes a PC in a pretty box, with a different (neither better nor worse) operating system - the components inside are in most cases the same or, in the case of the sound card on my iMac, inferior (and not upgradeable). Indeed - paradoxically - if you want to rip the ultimate quality lossless files from your CD you need to be using accuraterip, which is not available for Mac.......

I think that some of the statements you have used on both the website and here in relation to their products are at best hyperbole and at worst simply wrong, and do you and your product a disservice, and it's this that I take issue with, since in spite of this I do think the ADM9 is a slice of genius (though not one I could buy, it's too big).

TRENDING THREADS