Audion Return Channel

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Any advice would be helpful.

I currently have a Pioneer LX55 Amp and both my amp and TV support ARC. I currently have everything connected by Hdmi direct to my amp - Blu-ray, Sky HD, Apple TV etc with one hdmi cable from the TV back to the amp for video. However, if I connected everything to the TV Hdmi's instaed would there be any noticable difference to the sound returned by ARC given the sound would be fed back to the amp through the TV by Hdmi cable.

The only reason I'm asking is the amp always reverts to TV/Sat input when you switch it on which is a bit fustrating. By connecting the above I hope the TV will switch between it various inputs as and when in use and I'd simply leave the amp on TV/Sat.

Not a major problem but I'd like to know before unplugging everything.

Cheers
Simon

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Depending on your TV, but most TVs will only pass back stereo sound to the AV receiver through the ARC functionality. Some will pass back DD 5.1 apparently - however, you'd still definitely want your Blu-ray player connected direct to the AV receiver to allow HD audio (DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD) as this definitely won't be passed back.

My understanding is that ARC was designed to allow you to playback audio from your TV's inbuilt tuner to your AV receiver without a separate cable. It wasn't really designed to allow you to turn your TV into an "audio hub" I'm afraid.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If pushing an extra button on your AMP remote is too cumbersome, can I recommend you buy a Harmony remote.

You can programme these to set all of your equipment to the correct working state depending on activity.

Lots of users on here have them, me included.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
Depending on your TV, but most TVs will only pass back stereo sound to the AV receiver through the ARC functionality. Some will pass back DD 5.1 apparently - however, you'd still definitely want your Blu-ray player connected direct to the AV receiver to allow HD audio (DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD) as this definitely won't be passed back.

I din't know that, professorhat! Thanks for the information! This is one of a modern TV's features the existence of which I've always wondered about, all to save one extra optical or stereo phono L/R cable? Plus, I remember being told by a dealer who actually installs equipment in peoples' houses, that the ARC doesn't always work, in fact it often doesn't work, and that they frequently have to use an ordinary optical cable from the TV to the receiver as well as the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. Just like for a non-ARC capable TV!

professorhat said:
My understanding is that ARC was designed to allow you to playback audio from your TV's inbuilt tuner to your AV receiver without a separate cable. It wasn't really designed to allow you to turn your TV into an "audio hub" I'm afraid.

Yes, that would follow. I myself don't mind using lots of cables, so ARC would not be an attractive feature for me. Thanks professorhat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts