Audiolab and Country Of Origin markings ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
pauln said:
I have no doubt that the Chinese can make quality products if they want to, the important thing for me is that I want to help the economy of my own country not that of China. I will always favour products made in the UK even if it means paying a premium. It's just difficult these days to find much that is, particularly electronics.

Anyone know what audio companies still manufacture in the UK? Harbeth certainly, Rega have a factory here, Linn? Musical fidelity?

It's not that simple though. It's a matter of how much of a product is made in this country. A friend lodges near Salisbury - a fellow lodger used to work for Naim where (some?) of the PCBs were made in China but assembled into final products in Wilts. The audiolab M-DAC was designed by an Englishman who lives in the Czech Republic. Other considerations include where & how much corporation tax is paid.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FWIW, quite a lot of companies outsource board- stuffing, just as they buy in CD transports, drivers, etc., and use third-party companies for casework extrusions and the like

A

Anonymous

UPDATED INFO SINCE EARLIER POST:

I recently listed a mint condition 8000P on ebay and erroneously listed it as Made in England.

A prospective buyer came back with a reqest about the serial number, which is 240G000083, this prompted me to search for info on Audiolab manufacturing provenance, as it might translate to the serial number, and I found this thread, so I joined to add what I've learned today.

The prospect kindly supplied the following info:

[snipped]

indication of 'provenance' for the 'G' model 8000p, which can be seen at the bottom of the page at this link: http://www.watcheditem.com/iteminfo/370472359120/3/AUDIOLAB-ORIGINAL-SERVICE-MANUAL-ON-CD.html The key sentences are, "Only manuals for the later IAG-manufactured Audiolab units are available in this format. These all have the letter G in the serial number."

IAG are the Chinese company that bought Audiolab and (at least initially) were responsible for a significant drop in the quality of certain components being used. F models were definitely manufactured by Audiolab (not IAG) a I know this as I called Audiolab years ago when I bought my current E-model 8000S.

[snipped]

My ebay 8000P has the 'G' serial number and the Huntingdon stamp, whereas my 8000S bought in 2001 has MADE IN ENGLAND on the same spot.

There is no mention of Made in xxx on the 8000P or the box, or the manual, apart from the Huntigdon reference, but it is telling that my 8000S does have MADE IN ENGLAND stamped on it. So it seems that the serial number holds the clue on the units that don't have a country of manufacture stated.

One final bit of related info. I have lived in Australia for several decades until recently, and at one point imported some widgets from Korea. I was called to the Customs warehouse in Sydney and advised to source and add a tiny 'Made in Korea' sticker to every single widget before customs would let me take posession!

Apparently, imported goods MUST have the country of origin clearly marked on them, or the packaging, to be allowed in. I got my 8000S in Sydney, and I have just checked with a mate there, and he confirms his younger Audiolab has 'Huntingdon' on it, so that must be good enough for Australian customs!

I hope this info helps move the debate along or clears it up for some of you who own Audiolab kit.

SDB

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Dear egg...

I have a pair of wharfedale speakers that come from the same place, the IAG in China. When I took them out of the box for the first time there were very small paper stickers in the lowest place behind the speakers that said "Made in China". The glue on the sticker was so weak that they fell off the first or second time I tried to clean them. I thought to my self, it is obvious they dont want them there.

So, I don't think they are selling British made Amps. but still I'm not sure if the chinese amps are any less in quality than the ones made in Britain. I also have an 8000a amp from the old days and I have compared its sound with the newer chinese 8000 series. Even though the new ones don't have a phono stage and are a bit different in other areas, they sound quite the same.

Of course the 8000a is virtualy unbreakable. Time will tell if the chinese are just as tough. Maybe by now you already know.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
SDB said:
So, I don't think they are selling British made Amps. but still I'm not sure if the chinese amps are any less in quality than the ones made in Britain. I also have an 8000a amp from the old days and I have compared its sound with the newer chinese 8000 series. Even though the new ones don't have a phono stage and are a bit different in other areas, they sound quite the same.

The current 8200A is based on the 8000S, hence the differences like no phono stage or tone controls.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts