So Arcam no longer manufacture in the UK either now ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Because "Some of our stuff is made in Britain and some in China" doesn't quite look right maybe?
They can direct it at certain product lines, it doesn't have to be a blanket statement for all of their products. They seem to have already segregated it into high end and low end already. High end built in England, cheap mass market r stuff built in China.

chebby said:
But yes, if a company decides to outsource manufacture to China then they should proclaim that as proudly as any other major development in their business on their 'About' page or company history/info pages.
But your working on the assumption that people already think its made in the UK when its probably visa versa.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
why does it matter where things are made anyway?

if a chinese hi-fi company moved their production to the uk, creating lots of uk jobs and inwards investment, would that be seen as a disgrace in any way to any one? globalisation works 2 ways, lots of foreign companies create jobs in the uk.

also, maybe arcam can achieve higher profit margins and have a sustainable business model for the long term by outsourcing? so they can pay more tax, which good for everyone of us.

the comments made here strike to close to protectionism, which is stupid, and a very very dangerous mindset for a nation to go down.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Although there are a few numpties who don't care where their new equipment is manufactured, there is a large proportion which do, surely it would be a good idea to broadcast the fact since it is one advantage over your competitors...

er no, perhaps you should actually read the posts. You said how do people know how the costs compare, I answered you question by saying I do because I work in the industry, that's it capiche

There's only one person who looks like a numpty and and it's the guy who ranted on about something he was totally wrong about.

But I better watch what I'm saying, you seem to be Tony Soprano. Or maybe Fat Tony from the Simpsons?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
basshead said:

if a chinese hi-fi company moved their production to the uk, creating lots of uk jobs and inwards investment, would that be seen as a disgrace in any way to any one? globalisation works 2 ways, lots of foreign companies create jobs in the uk.

also, maybe arcam can achieve higher profit margins and have a sustainable business model for the long term by outsourcing? so they can pay more tax, which good for everyone of us.

the comments made here strike to close to protectionism, which is stupid, and a very very dangerous mindset for a nation to go down.

+1

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
eggontoast said:
Although there are a few numpties who don't care where their new equipment is manufactured, there is a large proportion which do, surely it would be a good idea to broadcast the fact since it is one advantage over your competitors...

er no, perhaps you should actually read the posts. You said how do people know how the costs compare, I answered you question by saying I do because I work in the industry, that's it capiche

There's only one person who looks like a numpty and and it's the guy who ranted on about something he was totally wrong about.

But I better watch what I'm saying, you seem to be Tony Soprano. Or maybe Fat Tony from the Simpsons?
Not sure your post makes sense, can you cut a legible post together.....I know turn those kiddies cartoons off, might help you concentrate.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Not sure your post makes sense, can you cut a legible post together.....I know turn those kiddies cartoons off, might help you concentrate.[/quote]

You're just making a fool of yourself now. Carry on...

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
If making a big deal about a missing quote tag makes you happy, feel free to carry on.

Andrew: Missed that post. Sorry about that, feel free to delete.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
basshead said:
I guess most people feel because as a consumer buying local made produce is supporting the economy more than if a company just bases its headquarters here and manufactures abroad. For an hypothetical example, if I was purchasing a new amplifier I would feel better about buying an Arcam amp over an Audiolab one, especially if they were the same quality, same price which they roughly are. Knowing where it was made at the point of sale may even sway my purchasing decision.

basshead said:
if a Chinese hi-fi company moved their production to the uk, creating lots of uk jobs and inwards investment, would that be seen as a disgrace in any way to any one? globalisation works 2 ways, lots of foreign companies create jobs in the uk.
That is very true but, you don't see too many Chinese companies setting up in the UK to produce. It's not a level playing field either, as a manufacturer trying to import into China you are hit with massive import duties why, because they want you to move your manufacturing over there, they don't want to import goods. That hamstrings overseas companies.

basshead said:
Again very true, paying more tax into the UK economy is great if you have a fully employed work force else its neither here nor there. Manufacturing output in the UK is currently in the decline, GDP is stagnant, the country can't just rely on financial services to generate GDP surely there has to be a balance.

basshead said:
Not really, there's nothing wrong with having pride in some long established UK brands. If they have a viable business model and are able to manufacture in both the UK and overseas like Arcam I think that's great.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi.

I'm sure eggontoast will agree with me when I say this as he says he works in this industry.

As with others, this is a consumer based industry. You, the customer ultimately decide what price you are willing to pay. You demand highest quality specs at the lowest possible price. This leaves us with a dilemma as manufacturers. Increase the retail price to stay in the UK and suffer British on-costs or reduce the base costs and source bits elsewhere.

Make your minds up guys. You want lowest prices with highest SQ?, then don't moan about where it's made. Origin issues besides.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Again very true, paying more tax into the UK economy is great if you have a fully employed work force else its neither here nor there. Manufacturing output in the UK is currently in the decline, GDP is stagnant, the country can't just rely on financial services to generate GDP surely there has to be a balance.

Manufacturing is not in decline as a proportion of GDP - there is a decline in manfucaturing employment but that is not the same thing. There may be a decline month to month but taking a twenty year view or even longer output is up. Retail sales are just as important as financial services to the economy - there is balance.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
You said how do people know how the costs compare, I answered you question by saying I do because I work in the industry, that's it capiche

In which case could you please clarify your trade status in your signature, as required by House Rule 10:

'Manufacturers, retailers, service providers and their staff are required to identify themselves as such in their signature.'

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
As with others, this is a consumer based industry. You, the customer ultimately decide what price you are willing to pay. You demand highest quality specs at the lowest possible price. This leaves us with a dilemma as manufacturers. Increase the retail price to stay in the UK and suffer British on-costs or reduce the base costs and source bits elsewhere.

Make your minds up guys. You want lowest prices with highest SQ?, then don't moan about where it's made. Origin issues besides.

Some of the producs mentioned in this thread are not mass market goods, they are perceived luxury items costing many hundreds if not thouands of pounds. If we were talking about "lower end" all-in-one or AV systems worth a couple of hundred quid then OK, I would agree with you. It's not just about sound / £. When paying premium prices you are buying not just a box of electronics made at the lowest possible cost, but buying into the ethos of the brand and a whole set of intangibles .. ... performance, sound quality, convenience, lifestyle, image, aesthetics, and where it is made. So what I ("the consumer") get annoyed about is when a manufacturer trades on those intangibles like "Britishness" to hike up the price, then goes and makes and makes the stuff in China. I understand the reasons why they do this, but it's not something I like so much. All credit to those companies like Arcam that make their stuff in the UK, or have a product mix of home built and outsourced items ... at least they try.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
eggontoast said:
You said how do people know how the costs compare, I answered you question by saying I do because I work in the industry, that's it capiche

In which case could you please clarify your trade status in your signature, as required by House Rule 10:

'Manufacturers, retailers, service providers and their staff are required to identify themselves as such in their signature.'
I don't work in the manufacture of the HI-Fi industry I'm not a trader or retailer or service provider so it bears no relation to your rules.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Andrew Everard said:
eggontoast said:

I don't work in the manufacture of the HI-Fi industry I'm not a trader or retailer or service provider so it bears no relation to your rules.

So what is your job? I'm confused as to which of your statements is true.

You seem to have been trying to deflect from your OP, which it transpires was nonsense. What was your source? Or was this total invention?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
So what is your job? I'm confused as to which of your statements is true.
It's a similar industry.

BenLaw said:
You seem to have been trying to deflect from your OP, which it transpires was nonsense. What was your source? Or was this total invention?
Not trying to deflect, I posted a little way back that the information appears to be duff which was unfortunate for me as I look like a tool but, lesson learnt, verify info more thoroughly before posting. At least anyone reading this thread will now know for sure where Arcam manufacture, so not all bad.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Not trying to deflect, I posted a little way back that the information appears to be duff which was unfortunate for me as I look like a tool but, lesson learnt, verify info more thoroughly before posting. At least anyone reading this thread will now know for sure where Arcam manufacture, so not all bad.

I'm still puzzled as to why it matters from a hi-fi perspective, there's clearly no quality issues with foreign made products, so, socio-economic impacts aside, what difference does it make?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts