Audiolab 8200CD DAC vs. Audiolab M-DAC

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Im curious to know which is the better DAC, and whether there are any differences between the two.

After much searching around, I have found these two models are the cheapest for a 32bit DAC.

Any other suggestions?

Furthermore, What is the difference (if any) between the USB ports for connecting to digital music source (PC presumably).

The 8200CD has the advantage of CD player fuction too. I have read somewhere that it rates highly as a CD player too, nevermind the DAC.

But how does the CD fuction compare to lets say the award winning Marantz 6004 CD player?

Why would anyone go for the M-DAC when the 8200CD has same spec, plus a quality CD player for a small amount of money difference.

I dont have the time to test both out against each other.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The 8200CD doesn't have a headphone amp as well and the M-DAC's one is really good! Since for me that's all I would be interested in anyway the M-DAC makes way more sense. IMO the only useful part of a CD player is the DAC anyway so I can't see why you would want a CD player built in to something that you can connect a computer to.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Alot of people saying that the M-dac is considerably better.
I understand it boasts an on screen display and headphone amp.
Must be fantastic.
But is it really better then the 8200CD.
Maybe its just a change in filters.

But you cant knock the fact that the CD function is excellent as a CD transport fuction too.

Hmmm! Im considering selling my 8200CD and purchasing a M-DAC.
But with so many other dacs out there nowadays.
Particularly the cheap and value for item products.

But I havent seen anything to rival the 32bit feature at this sort of price!

A

Anonymous

I have the Audiolab 8200CD player and used it with my Home Studio setup until the MDAC impressed me so much :) had to have it!

I use the MDAC as Headphone Amp and Preamp connected to my PC, Reason6 has never sounded so good. Very Happy :clap:

:dance:

A

Anonymous

I have just auditioned Rotel RA12 amp with built in DAC against the Audiolab M-Dac and the 8200CD as my system relies mainly on Sonos ZP90 and PC. The RA12 was smooth and the remote nice and a few extras as a pre / power amp. Changed to the 8200CD and it was better than the RA12 a bit more detailed and open. Moved to M-Dac with a power amp and the difference was quite clear, timing, detail bass and top end all better much better. Unfortunately for me it showed up the flaws in my speakers also !!

TRENDING THREADS