Audible delay - RCA input on Yamaha AV Amp

BigFatBaldy

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
First post here, so bonjour to everyone.

I'm moving house and had had my DJ setup (Technics SL1210's) running through an old Yamaha AX1 AV Amp in the spare room, great amp - got it for £50 off ebay 8-10yrs ago.

Now I'm losing a bedroom so my decks need to go in my living room, where I have a Yamaha A3030 AV Amp running as my Hi-Fi / TV / Cinema set up. Ive just plugged my decks up, RCA lead into AUDIO1 and there is a delay.

For those who don't DJ, the problem is its impossible to mix records with this delay... because whats coming thru my headphones from the DJ mixer, is instant... while whats coming though the amp is delayed by miliseconds (if I listen to the speakers with a headphone on one ear, the vocals echo because of the milisecond delay).

I tried using the RCA AUX in on the front of the amp and its still there.

Any idea's why this is happening, and if there is something I can change somewhere to eliminate the delay?

Its definately the Amp because I plugged the same RCA lead up a little Marantz PM6003 and no problem.

The A3030 isn't in any of its fancy "Hall in Munich" settings or anything, just set to 2ch Stereo.

I'm lost!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't matter, even in basic stereo it'll still be processing the audio. See if there is a source direct mode (it may have a different name), if you can enable that you may be able to defeat the delay.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The delay is presumably caused as the receiver is taking the audio input through analogue-to-digital conversion (so that the signal is available for all that 'Small Jazz Club' nonsense and then back through digital-to-analogue before it hits the power amps and thus your speakers. This all takes time.

To shorten the signal paths as much as possible (though I'm not sure you can completely avoid the A-to-D-to-A), make sure that the receiver is set to 'Straight Decode' and 'Pure Direct', which will minimise the amount of circuitry the music is passing through.

BigFatBaldy

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
It doesn't matter, even in basic stereo it'll still be processing the audio. See if there is a source direct mode (it may have a different name), if you can enable that you may be able to defeat the delay.

Nice one matey, they've renamed it Pure Direct and there's no button on the Amp for it.

I'd looked for a "source direct" button to no avail. The bonus of Yamaha putting the manual in PDF format and saving the rainforest (the manual for the AX1 is the size of the yellow pages!!!). I just downloaded it and with the joy of the computer searched (its 170odd pages!!) for "direct" and amoungst the many mentions of the word, solved the problem.

Thanks for your help.

BigFatBaldy

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
spiny norman said:
...so that the signal is available for all that 'Small Jazz Club' nonsense...

lol, that is alot of old tosh isn't it... although I'd give "working mens club with sticky carpet in barnsley" a go if it were on there.

BigFatBaldy

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
spiny norman said:
and 'Pure Direct', which will minimise the amount of circuitry the music is passing through.

Thanks to you also my friend... I didn't spot your mention of Pure Direct when I was typing.
wink_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts