Auction site advice, please.

Mrs. P has been banging on about getting shot of the Electro, as it's sitting there (boxed up) collecting cobwebs.

There's one big snag: I've never sold anything on the 'bay' before. I've contacted their 'Community' yesterday asking basic questions but yet to get a reply.

1) Is it best to use the 'Buy It Now/best offers' or use the bidding option with a fixed 'reserve'?

2) What's the point of PayPal? I know it's there for protection, but surely you wait for the funds to clear in your bank before despatching. Or is that totally wrong?

3) Do you have set up your bank account details or can Ebay just use the details from when I purchased the odd item?

Hoping you knowledgable people can give some useful pointers. For a novice like me it seems like a minefield. As I'm going to be quieter over the next couple of days I really want to get things rolling and sell it to someone who will appreciate a CDP.

Cheers, PP.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Mrs. P has been banging on about getting shot of the Electro, as it's sitting there (boxed up) collecting cobwebs.

There's one big snag: I've never sold anything on the 'bay' before. I've contacted their 'Community' yesterday asking basic questions but yet to get a reply.

1) Is it best to use the 'Buy It Now/best offers' or use the bidding option with a fixed 'reserve'?

2) What's the point of PayPal? I know it's there for protection, but surely you wait for the funds to clear in your bank before despatching. Or is that totally wrong?

3) Do you have set up your bank account details or can Ebay just use the details from when I purchased the odd item?

Hoping you knowledgable people can give some useful pointers. For a novice like me it seems like a minefield. As I'm going to be quieter over the next couple of days I really want to get things rolling and sell it to someone who will appreciate a CDP.

Cheers, PP.

Just Google "Ebay scammers" - that will probably put you off! I've been stung a couple of times.

PayPal is fine and very convenient.

You might be better off using HiFiWigWam.

Hi Pp i've sold a few items on eBay,speakers,bluray player,turntable,phono stage PayPal is basically like a bank account between eBay and your own personal bank account and once set up is secure and easy enough to use.once you've had a few successful transactions as a seller.(firsy few take 3-5 working days if I remember correctly)...the funds are delivered straight into your PayPal account and easily transferable into your bank account.when selling something like your bel canto you'd be better setting a reserve price.bin items normally take longer to sell and the extra price eBay put on it is a bit harsh imo.It is actually a bit exciting watching the bids go in and the amount of views your item recieves.And don't be disheartened if it's still sitting at not much money on the final day....prices tend to move more in the final couple of hours as people don't want to commit themselves incase they see something else better.bty eBay take 10% +fees and PayPal also take a small %age of the takings less postage.also do your homework for the postage costs I don't know how many times I've been stung and ended up paying towards it from my own pocket....on that note also sometimes you could offer free postage and add the price of it to your reserve price this can look more attractive to buyers and you don't lose out in the end.hope I've shed a little light for you.happy selling.oh and I always use PayPal for the security side of things and wouldn't trust someone to post to me after I'd just sent a few hundred quid into their bank account with no comeback if I never received the item.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've never sold on eBay either ... if I did I would probably do a "collection only" although this might limit the appeal of your item. AV Forums/Gumtree produced some limited success for me; I did manage to sell an older amplifier and CD player at good prices, but other items went without any response. I have also used dealer part exchange - normally trade-in values are quite low, but in my case I managed to trade speakers and a network player for what pretty much what I paid for them used.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Never had a bad transaction ever (as seller or buyer) including selling a few quite expensive items ...

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=chebby&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&keyword=300546829258

Filter out people you don't want bidding (overseas, neg feedback etc.) make sure you are set up with Paypal and clearly make sure you will only accept paypal.

If people start sending messages that they want to meet you in a deserted car park with a tesco carrier full of cash, from their mate's transit van, then block them. They want to mug you. Money orders are a no-no. block anyone who offers it. Block anyone who demands you stop the auction early and sell it to them for a vastly inflated figure. They have something going on that you want no part of no matter how tempting it seems superficially.

Be completely honest about condition etc. Post great photos and they'll go for your stuff rather than someone else's. Make sure you provide remote control, box, instructions and manufacturer's original packing etc.

Set a sensible reserve.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Here are my recommendations...

Keep your selling and buying within the uk for a start until you understand the bay probably there is an option for this in the settings to sell within the uk only .

Your covered by pay pal if anything happens to you if your buying or selling and you have to pay the bay fees + PayPal fees if your selling

make sure that you pack what ever your selling nicely as the customer will give you bad feedback if not packed right and if your posting out an expensive items get it recorded delivery signed for that way you know it got there safely so there no comeback on you

take some good pictures of your items this helps and explain what your selling any marks or anything broken on the item

for your first time selling I would do buy it now or make an offer within the asking price

do not put your mobile or home number at the bottom of your listing let the bay send you an email to say that the person wants to ask a question also you will get people asking if you will end the auction early if they do say sorry I am keeping the auction going unless they are giving you nearly what you want you get some cheeky people on there .

The bay is safe as long as you are safe

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I think two important points about Paypal (that I don't think have been mentioned yet) is that:

1. It provides an independant into the financial transaction who protects both buyer and seller - remember they are just as likely to be worried about you as you are of them.

2. It allows people to buy on credit cards which provides them with another level of protection, but probably more significantly opens the market up to those who don't have the cash there and then.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
thewinelake. said:
Be aware that PayPal protection is lost if the buyer collects in person.

If he's collecting in person you shouldn't need to use PayPal.

Indeed, you beat me to it. If selling to someone who wishes to collect in person, INSIST on cash payment only, strictly no Paypal. It is not unheard of for someone to pay via Paypal, collect in person, and then claim non-delivery to try and obtain a full refund from Paypal. Ebay tend to side with the buyer rather than the seller in these cases.

Don't forget going via Ebay/Paypal will cost you 13% of whatever the final selling figure is in fees. Over the years I've sold loads of hifi related stuff on Ebay without issue, but I'd still try and sell it on the forums first. A quality piece of kit like yours will generate a lot of interest I would imagine.

chebby said:
Never had a bad transaction ever (as seller or buyer) including selling a few quite expensive items ...

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=chebby&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&keyword=300546829258

Filter out people you don't want bidding (overseas, neg feedback etc.) make sure you are set up with Paypal and clearly make sure you will only accept paypal.

If people start sending messages that they want to meet you in a deserted car park with a tesco carrier full of cash, from their mate's transit van, then block them. They want to mug you. Money orders are a no-no. block anyone who offers it. Block anyone who demands you stop the auction early and sell it to them for a vastly inflated figure. They have something going on that you want no part of no matter how tempting it seems superficially.

Be completely honest about condition etc. Post great photos and they'll go for your stuff rather than someone else's. Make sure you provide remote control, box, instructions and manufacturer's original packing etc.

Set a sensible reserve.

Cheers Chebby and the others. Yeah, I will explore other options (hi-fiwigwam etc etc) but regardless good photos are a must, I agree.

I have 100% feedback from stuff I've purchased over the years.

record_spot

Make sure you use a good courier, and if the final selling price of the goods is over the amount covered by the default insurance the courier provides (usually £50), then pay the difference and get comprehensive insurance. If the goods get bounced and damaged on the way, then you're liable. It's your job to make sure the buyer gets the goods in good condition. I always insist on insurance to cover the value of the goods being sent, plus the P&P value. Then you don't lose out if the things goes bounce and bang on the way! I haven't paid over £20 to post anything and it's usually about £15.

Setting a reserve price adds an additional fee I think, so check what it is. Then you can maybe just set the opening bid price at, or near, the reserve you had in mind.

And yes, great pictures are a must. Align them correctly, show the packaging if you have it, you get 12 photos free, so make the most of them, and make sure you have some with the item switched on and working. People like to see what they're buying and that it works.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Normally people who sell there own high end gear look after there stuff and normally keep boxes , manuals and anything else it also shows that it's been looked after very nicely ..... Sorry of topic plastic penguin my Yamaha is amazing mate I just got the matching cdplayer to go with the amp but both are seriously good bits of kit and well worth the money I've had loads of amps in my time and nothing comes close to the sound the Yamaha kicks out I would seriously get a demo on the Yamaha S2100 mate I am sure you would love it

D

Deleted member 160668

I've sold quite a few things on eBay, including some decent audio kit. My tips as follows (apologies if duplicated, I skimmed the thread).

1) Put a detailed 'premium' description, point out how amazing what your selling is, it's fantastic condition etc, awards won and so on. A premium description will Instill trust and helps to ensure a premium price. Make sure to also point out any flaws so no comeback on you.

2) Packaging - package it to death, bubblewrap, double box etc. As a buyer I want my item to arrive in perfect condition, so when selling I go to town on what I post so it should be bombproof for any exuberant couriers showing less than love to the item.

Make sure clearly state no posting outside uk. Amazing how many people still ask!

add blurb at the end that non-payers will be reported to eBay and that your happy to answer any questions.

Hope that helps.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you describe any defects & add loads of high res pictures showing exactly what you’re selling and its condition.

List everything that's included, remotes, power cables, original packaging, instruction manuals etc.

As a newbie seller, Paypal will hold onto your money for 21 days or until the purchaser leaves positive feedback.

Paypal & eBay fees will cost you 13.5%.

Remember that eBay & Paypal take 13.5% of your postal charge too, so adjust it accordingly.

Use a good, reputable courier and be sure they will cover electrical items as some won't.

Make sure you package your item really well and insure it. If it gets damaged in any way you will get it back. It doesn't matter if you stipulate no returns or shipping is at buyers risk etc. it means nothing. eBay’s buyer protection will 99% of the time side with the buyer, as a seller you have very little protection. The buyer virtually always gets their money back & you a broken item and the fee for shipping it back.

Add a tamper proof sticker on the case somewhere to prevent someone robbing parts and returning it to you as not working.

Don't bother with auctions, you know what the item is worth so list it on a 'Buy It Now' and open it up to sensible offers. If you’re selling expensive, obscure Hi-Fi items you prospective pool of purchasers is extremely small, so list as buy it now and leave it on there for a month.

If you list as collection only you will get a lot less than the item is worth.

Never accept Paypal with collections, only cash or a bank transfer.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
eBay owns PayPal.
So it's not really independent.
And both eBay AND PayPal take a chunk out of your sales.
Beware overseas buyers who will expect you to send stuff to Singapore before they pay you. Some joker tried, repeat TRIED that with me once.
And the eBay feedback thing is heavily biased in favour of buyers. Buyers can give you a bad review, which is almost impossible to refute. And you can't leave negative feedback for buyers who try to rip you off.
Finally, eBay and PayPal like to hang onto your money for quite a while if you're a new seller and/ or you've sold a high value item (like a decent bit of stereo kit).
Use the classifieds on avsforummnot or the like.

Blacksabbath25 said:
plastic penguin said:
How long does it take for Ebay/PayPal to cough up?
As a newbie seller, Paypal will hold onto your money for 21 days or until the purchaser leaves positive feedback.

Jeeze...

I can understand them being custonians of your money to make sure it's genuine buyer, but hold on to your money until you get feedback. What if the buyer doesn't leave feedback for a couple of months? I've taken my time leaving feedback on DVD box sets etc.

That sounds like a con to me.

I know with my business I allow up to 30-days credit with trade accounts (after references are cleared by the appropriate bodies).

Genuinely shocked by that.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
plastic penguin said:
How long does it take for Ebay/PayPal to cough up?

Jeeze...

I can understand them being custonians of your money to make sure it's genuine buyer, but hold on to your money until you get feedback. What if the buyer doesn't leave feedback for a couple of months? I've taken my time leaving feedback on DVD box sets etc.

That sounds like a con to me.

I know with my business I allow up to 30-days credit with trade accounts (after references are cleared by the appropriate bodies).

Genuinely shocked by that.
i think the bay email them to say please leave feedback

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts