Auction site advice, please.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Blacksabbath25 said:
plastic penguin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
plastic penguin said:
How long does it take for Ebay/PayPal to cough up?
As a newbie seller, Paypal will hold onto your money for 21 days or until the purchaser leaves positive feedback.

Jeeze...

I can understand them being custonians of your money to make sure it's genuine buyer, but hold on to your money until you get feedback. What if the buyer doesn't leave feedback for a couple of months? I've taken my time leaving feedback on DVD box sets etc.

That sounds like a con to me.

I know with my business I allow up to 30-days credit with trade accounts (after references are cleared by the appropriate bodies).

Genuinely shocked by that.
i think the bay email them to say please leave feedback

In my case, when I forgot to leave feedback for nearly two months, is I get so much rubbish from them, even though I hardly buy from there (10% this weekend blah blah), I just overlooked it.

I've been to proper auction houses many times and if you win a certain item you pay for it with the Auction house commission and walk out with the item(s).

Ebay seems bonkers. I'll certainly try hifiwigwam first. At least you are aiming the product buyers who are genuinely interested in hi-fi.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
plastic penguin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
plastic penguin said:
As a newbie seller, Paypal will hold onto your money for 21 days or until the purchaser leaves positive feedback.

Jeeze...

I can understand them being custonians of your money to make sure it's genuine buyer, but hold on to your money until you get feedback. What if the buyer doesn't leave feedback for a couple of months? I've taken my time leaving feedback on DVD box sets etc.

That sounds like a con to me.

I know with my business I allow up to 30-days credit with trade accounts (after references are cleared by the appropriate bodies).

Genuinely shocked by that.
i think the bay email them to say please leave feedback

In my case, when I forgot to leave feedback for nearly two months, is I get so much rubbish from them, even though I hardly buy from there (10% this weekend blah blah), I just overlooked it.

I've been to proper auction houses many times and if you win a certain item you pay for it with the Auction house commission and walk out with the item(s).

Ebay seems bonkers. I'll certainly try hifiwigwam first. At least you are aiming the product buyers who are genuinely interested in hi-fi.
at least with hifi wigwam people On there are just Hifi people and know what you are selling . I could of sold my old Hifi gear on eBay but it's just to much hassle and time you take the fees off what you sold it for its not worth it I traded all of my Hifi gear to the shop where I got the Yamaha stuff from as the shop can give warranty but if I sold it on eBay myself I can not give any warranty and I know the shop probably got the better end of the deal but I told the chap in the shop I am walking away with what I wanted and I was happy

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
Ebay's good. I bought and sold Hifi without problems.

However, as mentioned, if you have no selling or buying history, its not a way to start selling an expensive item even though ebay (and Paypal) give buyer protection.

I would not buy the amp of you simply because you have no ebay history.

Ebay is great at determining current market values. You normally get what it is worth.

Open an account on both Paypal and ebay and start buying selling less expensive things. Its also a good source for records, cd's etc etc.

Hope you get good money for your item.
yes eBay very good for vinyl I got most of my first pressings of black sabbath albums on there

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site

However, as mentioned, if you have no selling or buying history, its not a way to start selling an expensive item even though ebay (and Paypal) give buyer protection.

Ebay is great at determining current market values. You normally get what it is worth and with it the largest audience of potential buyers in the world ... by far.

Open an account on both Paypal and ebay and start buying selling less expensive things. Its also a good source for records, cd's etc etc.

drummerman said:

Ebay is great at determining current market values. You normally get what it is worth and with it the largest audience of potential buyers in the world ... by far.

Cheers. Sure I will in the end. Although I'm not going to ask silly money, enough to cover the added charges, delivery... and to recoup some the money I paid for it.

If I had anything to sell, I would. Sadly, I've drawn a blank in that area.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I have ebay and also have brought and sold hifi with no problems but as all the wise people advise you before me that with no history and rep on ebay you may have a problem.

So the best advise i can give is either get a friend who has positive feedback sell it for you (many do this and state so in the discription)

Or buy a few cheap things to get a feed back of say 5 positive then try sell it then.

After a visit to the boozer earlier I was told to try and advertise it on our local Facebook -Items for sales pages. There's apparently around 7k people who use that facility in my locality.

So I'll advertise the CDP in several paces: Wigwam, Guntree and Facebook.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Have things changed on Wigwam? I thought that if you were a new member then you had to pay to advertise unless you had a certain number of posts? I might be getting confused with PinkFishMedia possibly.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Apologies if mentioned as I haven't read through the whole thread.

AV Forums would be a good place to start. I sold a few items on there some years back and it was a very positive experience compared to eBay. In fact I think I'm going to put a spare AVR on there.

richardw42 said:

AV Forums would be a good place to start. I sold a few items on there some years back and it was a very positive experience compared to eBay. In fact I think I'm going to put a spare AVR on there.

Looked at AVfoums but couldn't find a single CD player or a section for CDPs.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
richardw42 said:

Looked at AVfoums but couldn't find a single CD player or a section for CDPs.

They tend to be in the Home Cinema & Hi-Fi Classifieds section, sub-section Player & PVR Classified. I agree though, there aren't that many CD players on there at present, it leans more towards Blue Ray and Universal players on that forum, and mainly the more mainstream and budget equipment.

Have you tried putting an ad on The Art of Sound forum, they have some good quality kit on there for sale.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
It still amazes me that there is no trading forum on here.... I genuinely don't get why there wouldn't be one. This thread is basically routing people who are in to hifi to other forums! Makes no sense.

Ive used eBay in the past, won't do so again to sell as the charges are just too high. I'm advertising my TT and cart on Wigwam, and although plenty of people have looked, I've not had any interest that turned out to be genuine.

I'll be trying my local Facebook group also....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Sometimes it feels like you've got more chance of seeing Lord Lucan ride Shergar down the Mall....

It can be up to a month.

And if they think you're selling dodgy (i.e. stolen) stuff, even longer. You may end up having to send eBay copies of your original purchase receipts (BTDT).

After they did that to me a couple of times and sent me a bill for selling fees I told 'em to eff off, to shove their bill and I sent them a bill for the interest on my sales at credit card rate. That shut them up. But it got me banned too. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I'm testing the water by advertising the Electro on Gumtree. As I'm not a online seller, I'm cutting my teeth.... and they are sore at the mo.

I can add extra pictures but I've given a comprehensive description... or have I?

The photo where the loading tray is open looks like it's been used as an ashtray!

Any streaks or fingerprints or dust will show up more in a photo than in real life.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There's no reason why it won't sell anywhere providing you're not daft with the price, but in terms of getting potential viewers, ebay will always dwarf everywhere else. There's just simply more people looking for stuff there than anywhere else. List items as a 7-day auction with a starting price that's the least you'll accept. Don't forget to factor in the price of recorded delivery into your postage costs. Reserves put people off. Buy It Nows put people off (but only because most sellers' BIN price is usually dreamland). When the auction ends, you will get notification from PayPal when the buyer has paid you, and you will get a delivery address. Post it by recorded delivery. There are exponentially more dodgy sellers on eBay than dodgy buyers. As a legit seller, there is very little risk. Least from my experience. I've only ever been stung by dodgy sellers, never buyers. And unfortunately, dodgy sellers are capable of advertising their wares just about anywhere not just eBay.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
I'm testing the water by advertising the Electro on Gumtree. As I'm not a online seller, I'm cutting my teeth.... and they are sore at the mo.

I can add extra pictures but I've given a comprehensive description... or have I?

The photo where the loading tray is open looks like it's been used as an ashtray!

Any streaks or fingerprints or dust will show up more in a photo than in real life.

Yup, digital photography is a complete s##t.

This is the updated ad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts