attenuated interconnects

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Have been looking at he attenuated interconnects on Russ Andrews, am i right in thinking they will give me better sound at lower volume levels.

and has anyone had any experience or these i am considering purchasing the timbre interconnect.

thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

If you believe, they will.

If that sounds harsh, I'm sorry, but I've just looked at the RA site and see they offer a Cable Burn-in service and a DCT service. Words fail me.

idc

I had attenuated interconnects from RA and used them between an Arcam CD62 and Rega Mira. They do give a better sound at lower volumes in that you have a better range of volume that you can use. Very low volume sounds lifeless and you need to up the volume until life is breathed into the music. With the attenuated cables I found that that point of life arriving, happened lower down the volume scale than before. But don't expect to hear a huge difference and to be able to use the whole range of your volume control. Also, don't expect the sound to improve (unless your previous interconnects were basic starter ones, in which case the RA ones use the excellent Kimber cable), the effect is purely on the range of volume that is useable.

The way to try is set the volume to the point that music sounds good, play a track, then swap to attenuated and play the same track without touching the volume control. It should sound louder.

A

Anonymous

nemof:
Have been looking at he attenuated interconnects on Russ Andrews, am i right in thinking they will give me better sound at lower volume levels.

and has anyone had any experience or these i am considering purchasing the timbre interconnect.

thanks in advance

They reduce the gain and that's all they do. Some use them to correct poor channel matching on the control at low volumes.

A

Anonymous

idc:

The way to try is set the volume to the point that music sounds good, play a track, then swap to attenuated and play the same track without touching the volume control. It should sound louder.

Or quieter even.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

hi matengawhat

Put golden jacks into ebay search couldnt find any thing could you elaberate

Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
give them a go for £25 quid a lot cheaper than replacing your cdp - main reason i use them is that the amp especially with the remote was just impossible to use was either quiet or too loud - this gives me a lot more turn of the dial - also allows the amp to do more work which i personally think sounds better

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:have a look at the golden jacks on ebay - keep you're current interconnects - same effect and can recommend them - makes my remote usable at last

I use these because my ancient Audiolab isnt happy to receive high voltage inputs. The volume pot was unusable and sounded harsh. A set of AppleJacks (or whatever they are called) cleaned it up totally. I can now use all of my knob (fnar) and the harshness was somewhat reduced.

A

Anonymous

ScrumpyJacks is the correct name.......
emotion-5.gif

I have a set and actually removed them when I got my Cyrus as I preferred the sound without, though they do state there is no colour etc. I found it lacking a wee bit with.

A

Anonymous

In effect, would these do the same thing as turning the source volume down in iTunes through a computer connected to a DacMagic and turning the volume up on the amp to compensate?

idc

The levels of attenuation available from Russ Andrews is 4 (ranging from -11 to -22dbs) for the £97 inline attenuators and 5 for cables starting at £79. The Rothwells attenuate by -10db, (which is less than any of the RA products which start at -11db) and cost £40 and the Golden Jacks by -10 and -14db, for £24 plus post.

It seems to me that savings are to be had if you are looking for less attenuation, but the higher you go the more you have to pay. Now I know I wonder if -10dbs would have been enough and any more is not going to make a huge difference. (I think my cables were either -14 or -18dbs)

A

Anonymous

does anybody know the formular to work out how many db needed. there is a basic chart on the ra site but only covers some amp and cd levels.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Well. They're here. (Lightning delivery, very impressed!)

Listening to Martin Grech's 'Open Heart Zoo' as I have been for the last couple of days.

I have to say I think 10 db attenuation is plenty for me. I can use a hell of a lot more range on the volume now, and using the remote isn't a question of pinpoint timing and stabbing the button for a nano-second to get the levels I want. A bonus in itself.

With regards the sound, I think it sounds a lot less 'spikey' than before. I feel like it's a smoother listen without robbing the detail and pace from the music. In fact, I can hear things which were barely audible in the mix before, with greater clarity.

Placebo effect? I don't think so. I wouldn't have minded paying the £40 just for an easier time with my remote, so the sound is an added bonus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts