ATC SIA2-150 - no balanced inputs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Read many glowing reviews on this integrated amp. It may be the upgrade I'm looking for. What a pity it does not have balanced XLR inputs to accommodate the likes of Esoteric X-05 or Ayre C5xeMP. Or does it matter?

jtein:

Read many glowing reviews on this integrated amp. It may be the upgrade I'm looking for. What a pity it does not have balanced XLR inputs to accommodate the likes of Esoteric X-05 or Ayre C5xeMP. Or does it matter?

Hi jtein

The ATC SIA2-150 MK2 does not really need XLR inputs as it is already more than good enough without them. Granted when XLR stages are implemented correctly than they can offer superior performance to SE inputs however IME the difference with the many components that i have used with XLR stages has often been subtle (unless it is for long runs of cable).

In the first instance i think you should consider the SCM40's as ATC speakers work well with Primare electronics before the SIA2-150 MK2.

Btw, in addition to the Esoteric and the Ayre players you may also want to consider the Chord Electronics QBD76 DAC and the Red Standard cd player. i believe both Chord Electronics products offer better performance than the already impressive Esoteric and Ayre players.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rick for your comments which have been duly noted and taken into consideration.

One question though: would getting the SCM40s turn out out to be a lateral move rather than an upgrade of my FB1i's?

Have a good week ahead!

jtein:

Thanks Rick for your comments which have been duly noted and taken into consideration.

Have a good week ahead!

Hi jtein

Your welcome.

Have a Happy New Year.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

You get a little bit more of what you've already got with balanced but overall its not a deal breaker I wouldn't have thought (unless you have just invested in some really expensive xlrs's that is!).

Go for the best amp for you and then worry about IC's etc later.

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Jtein

As you live in SE Asia, why not take a listen to the Usher pre/power amps.

Such performance at the price available locally should be hard to beat.

A

Anonymous

I see from your sig. that you have a Primare i30 amp. Why do you want to change this superb amp for another?

A

Anonymous

IJ:Jtein

As you live in SE Asia, why not take a listen to the Usher pre/power amps.

Such performance at the price available locally should be hard to beat.

Yea....heard they are making a name for themselves in the US. Haven't heard them though.

A

Anonymous

Oakman:I see from your sig. that you have a Primare i30 amp. Why do you want to change this superb amp for another?

No doubt it's a good and very clean sounding amp. But I'm looking for a Class A amp or a Class A/B with a strong Class A bias amp to give me the kind of sound I'm looking for. The ATC SIA2-150 is just one of a few options I'm considering - the others being Leema Tucana II, Pass Labs INT-150, Plinius 9200 or even the Boulder 865.

Or should I venture into pre/power stuff? Then I would have to spend more on i/c and power cords.

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
The Usher P1.5 power amp is 38kg of pure Class A and an audition is a must. You can consider the Usher pre amp with, it, but i needed a remote, so i chose a Parasound P3.

The combo just blew me away.

Not sure who sells Usher in Malaysia, but maybe worth a trip to X-Audio in Singapore where you can audition either of the above combo's at a price which i am sure is lower than the Primare I30

A

Anonymous

Hi Jtein

I'm interested to know what sound you are looking for over and above what you already have?

As you can see I have the i30 so thought my recent demo might help a little with your decission process.

Recently I did a lengthy demo with several speakers using the i30 which included the FB1. Athough this speaker was excellent it did not have the 'involvement' in the music I had hoped for so I asked the guy in the shop if he had any other suggestions. So he bought in the PMC OB1, although it was well over what I hoped to pay, and the difference in sound was stunning. All the instruments were clear and the balance of sound was excellent. So we sat and listened for a while playing different CDs and we were hooked. My dealer then kindly allowed me a 10 day loan over Christmas to use in my home and this just confirmed my initial impressions.

My point is that although the OB1 could always benefit from more power the overall sound was so good that I have bought them and still allowing flexability to upgrade the amp in future. So although a new better amp combination will undoubtably improve your system perhaps a listen to some other speakers might be another way of getting what you want from your system.

I am not suggesting that this is the speaker for you as you may want a different sound but if you have the opportunity to try others it may change your thoughts.

I hope this helps. Keen to hear which way you go.

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I think that's very good advice from Oakman. The PMC Fb1i is essentially a bigger GB1i, but I personally love the Monitor Audio Pl100 and no longer have a desire to try anything else (well apart from maybe the bigger Pl200 if I land the jackpot!)

A

Anonymous

Hi Oakman,

I've stated the kind of sound that I want in one of my previous threads. A more immediate, involving, "life-like" sound is definitely one of them but not at the expense of clarity, transparency, imaging, authority, crisp timing, deep and well-defined bass, pinpoint acccurate soundstage, the whole works. And I don't think my current setup can give me all that. Perhaps not even the ATC SIA2-150. I may have to venture into pre/power territory which I prefer not to because I just adore one-box amps, don't know why.

Sorry that this thread doesn't give you the whole picture of my hifi adventure. I purchased my current set-up to use as a decent starting point that I can use as a reference point for future upgrades. So I'm not only looking at upgrading the amp but the speakers and source as well.

A

Anonymous

Hi jtein again!

Understand and apprecitae what you are aiming for but that could cost you a small fortune in upgrades.

However based on my little experience, a careful speaker upgrade with your current system, may surprise you as to what you could have for not too much money!

Good luck with your quest for perfection

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts