Gyro SE Turntable / Tonearm / Cost

steffan7777

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Folks - I’m just about to order a new turntable and wondered if you could help with a few wise words please?

I'm aiming for a neutral sound with very slight warmth as compromise for easy evening listening, a crystal clear detail and a full and well defined base. My amp and speakers are ATC SIA2-150 and SCM40’s.

I thinking Gyro SE - £1,700 / RB2000 or SME M2 - £1,400 / Cadenza Blue - £1,300 (I assume this will suit and fit these arms TBC) / Rega Aria - £800.

There are so many combinations that I can’t possibly listen to them all, but I will listen to this lot before final decision;

-- Have I got the cost relationship about right between the various bits?

-- I’ve read some reasonably good reviews about these arms, but is there anything else I should try? Are these considered a sensible upgrade to the Technoarm?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Steffan

steffan7777 said:
Hi Folks - I’m just about to order a new turntable and wondered if you could help with a few wise words please?

I'm aiming for a neutral sound with very slight warmth as compromise for easy evening listening, a crystal clear detail and a full and well defined base. My amp and speakers are ATC SIA2-150 and SCM40’s.

I thinking Gyro SE - £1,700 / RB2000 or SME M2 - £1,400 / Cadenza Blue - £1,300 (I assume this will suit and fit these arms TBC) / Rega Aria - £800.

There are so many combinations that I can’t possibly listen to them all, but I will listen to this lot before final decision;

-- Have I got the cost relationship about right between the various bits?

-- I’ve read some reasonably good reviews about these arms, but is there anything else I should try? Are these considered a sensible upgrade to the Technoarm?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Steffan

Can I suggest you repost this in the Turntables sub forum? ;-)

You could save yourself a fortune on that list of yours.

steffan7777

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Al-ears, still can't repost so I hope ok to ask you here ...... what did you mean about the prices? Better deals, go second hand or similar performance from cheaper components?

thanks

steffan7777 said:
Hi Al-ears, still can't repost so I hope ok to ask you here ...... what did you mean about the prices? Better deals, go second hand or similar performance from cheaper components?

thanks

No problem. Thought you might get more responses if posted in the correct section of this forum.

That's a lot of money you are paying out on unknowns. You could do better but first we need to establish a few must haves. Are you sure you want to start with the Gyrodec SE? You have a good starting block there if so.

If so please factor in costs of an acrylic cover to keep dust out.

The SE comes as standard with an arm mount that will take the old column-type tonearm, fitting something like an SME is going to cost more for a new arm-plate.

Are you likely to stick with moving magnet type cartridges? If so no point in paying for a MM/MC phono preamp.

Why the cartridge you have chosen?

Apologies for all the questions but it's very relevant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts