Question JBL L100 Classic 75th Anniversary Powered Amp?

ja_kub_sz

May 26, 2021
Visit site
Hello,

I've preorderer the JBL L100 Classic 75th Anniversary Speakers, but am concerned about getting the most out of them considering my current integrated amplifier (Cambridge Audio Azur 851a). I'm fearful it'll be underpowered for the JBL's.

JBL released the 75th Anniversary L100 Classics in combination with their special edition integrated amplifier and streamer the SA750 (120w into 8 Ohms and 220 w into 4 Ohms).

My overall concern is I have read reviews about the JBL L100 Classics and people state that in order to reasonably drive the speakers you should have an amplifier that can put out at least 200w into 4 Ohms. I have also read reviewers who stated that inexpensive amplifiers were able to power the JBL's, but when I looked up these amplifiers they had 350w into 4 Ohms, again supporting my suspicions of the needing more then 200w into 4 Ohms for the JBL's to shine.

With JBL directly marketing there integrated amplifier that has a 220w at 4 ohms output I feel as if that 200w threshold might be on the lower end, especially with the limited edition 75th anniversary speakers having upgraded internal components, not to mention bi-directional wiring capability (which the regular JBL L100 Classics do not have).

This all leads me to think that in order to make the most out of these special speakers that I really want to enjoy I should upgrade to a more powerful powered amplifier that also favors bi-directional wiring of speakers like the Cambridge audio 851w (350w into 4 ohms).

Furthermore my current integrative amplifier (CA 851a) doesn't support balanced XLR preamp outs (just unbalanced) and swapping this out for the Cambridge Audio 851e preamp would allow me to have balanced XLR preamp outs going to the powered amps XLR connections and then running it (the CA 851w) in balanced mode with bi-directional wiring to the JBL L100 Classic's (which in my mind would be the ideal setup).

My question is should I stick with my current integrated amplifier and just see how it goes, or make the switch of both my integrated amplifier to a dedicated preamplifier with XLR balanced outputs to a new powered amp to then be able to truly appreciate these speakers, which will be the center piece of my collection?

I know it's a lot, and I do have a subwoofer but I'm not terribly concerned about it (KEF KUBE 12b) in regards to the above items of greater concern.

Again any advice, opinions, insight would be very helpful.

I also realize I could run my integrated amplifier to the new powered amplifier, but I feel unbalanced connections won't do the speakers justice. I am listening primarily to my music through my Roon to DACMagic 200 through XLR connections into my current integrated amplifier and KEF LS50 Meta's, or via my Alva TT.

Room acoustics are 15 ft by 15 ft with open double doors on one end, 11 ft ceilings and wood floors (basement below), but will be moving to a 16 ft by 21 ft room with vaulted ceiling within the next eight months, again with double doors on one end and basement below.

Try the speakers with your current amplifier first would be my advice, you may be pleasantly surprised.
also I wouldn't concern yourself with the expense of bi-wiring or the XLR connections if you don't already own the cables.

ja_kub_sz

May 26, 2021
Visit site
Try the speakers with your current amplifier first would be my advice, you may be pleasantly surprised.
also I wouldn't concern yourself with the expense of bi-wiring or the XLR connections if you don't already own the cables.

Thanks!

I am running XLR connections already, and yeah, that's the sentiment of most with bi-wiring.

I just feel like because they made the 75th edition specifically with bi-wiring I wouldn't be doing them justice any other way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts