ATC SCM11

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Has anyone tried a Rega Elex r with ATC SCM11s, curved version?

I'm currently using a Roksan Kandy K2 BT which is perfectly fine with them from a sound quality and power point of view, in fact it's very very good. However the Kandy is acting up, a humming transformer and it trips the house circuit breaker sometimes when switching on. This is my second Kandy so I've become slightly disappointed with their realiability.

I know on paper at least the Elex r isn't powerful enough for the SCM11s. In my previous set up I paired a Rega Brio r with Kef LS50s. Again, on paper this combo should not have worked but it did, I found it very enjoyable overall. Adding the Roksan to the LS50s did improve the performance of the LS50s alot but I could happily have stayed with the Brio r.

This is my reasoning for considering the Elex r with the SCM11s. I know Rega gear is also prone to humming but my Brio r had no hum at all, even with ear pressed to the amp. I very much enjoyed the Brio r/ Rega "sound" too.

I don't listen at very loud volumes generally but would like the amp to be capable of playing loud (approx 80 to90db for me) sometimes. Main criteria is good control, clear detail and solid bass performance at moderate listening levels. I can't demo easily so just wondering if there would even be any point trying if the Elex r is too under powered for the SCM11s.

Thanks.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Hi all,

Has anyone tried a Rega Elex r with ATC SCM11s, curved version?

I'm currently using a Roksan Kandy K2 BT which is perfectly fine with them from a sound quality and power point of view, in fact it's very very good. However the Kandy is acting up, a humming transformer and it trips the house circuit breaker sometimes when switching on. This is my second Kandy so I've become slightly disappointed with their realiability.?

I know on paper at least the Elex r isn't powerful enough for the SCM11s. In my previous set up I paired a Rega Brio r with Kef LS50s. Again, on paper this combo should not have worked but it did, I found it very enjoyable overall. Adding the Roksan to the LS50s did improve the performance of the LS50s alot but I could happily have stayed with the Brio r.

This is my reasoning for considering the Elex r with the SCM11s. I know Rega gear is also prone to humming but my Brio r had no hum at all, even with ear pressed to the amp. I very much enjoyed the Brio r/ Rega "sound" too.

I don't listen at very loud volumes generally but would like the amp to be capable of playing loud (approx 80 to90db for me) sometimes. Main criteria is good control, clear detail and solid bass performance at moderate listening levels. I can't demo easily so just wondering if there would even be any point trying if the Elex r is too under powered for the SCM11s. ?

Thanks.

Atc need watts to drive them but dont suck as much current as youd expect

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts