ATC SCM11

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Just come across these speakers that someone mentioned are good for positioning fairly close to back walls. Does anyone have them? Are they good at playing at low-moderate volume? The amp. will probably be a Creek A50 or similar. Music is mostly, Vocals, Jazz, Classic Rock so bass is not a big requirement.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Being a sealed box design there's no doubt that positioning won't be an issue, but what I would say is, I have similar musical taste Big H and I didn't like the way the SCM40's presented that genre of music.

If you can, try and get a home demo and judge for yourself.

Mac

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
OK Thanks I did have a look on search but did not find the answer initially, have done now and seems they are not good at low volumes.

The Totems I don't know much about but seems my local dealer has them, so will try. The Rainmakers look about the right size but price is a bit steep, is that because they are USA imports?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Totem are Canadian IIRC.

I may have mentioned before :rofl: I much prefer the SCM7 and SCM10 to the SCM11, unless you need the little extra bass or possible extra dB or two output then I see no real reason to go for the 11 over the 7. :grin:

Aparently there is a new tweeter due to be released (upgrade of the Vifa D26NC-55-06) for the 'Entry Range' of the SCM7,11,19 and 40.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
HAving read some more about ATCs they are not for me, Harbeth P3ESRs sound like they could be but are far too expensive at £1,450, is there anything similar to Harbeths but around £400-£800? Epos Epic 2s sounds as though they could be OK?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Am I correct that sealed boxes are better for positioning but need more power and maybe not so good at low volumes?

Sealed boxes tend to need more 'power' as they tend to be less sensitive than the equivelent ported speaker. The bass driver(s) need to have a lower resonant frequency/higher QTS which tends to mean heavier cones and as a byproduct, lower senstivity drivers.

Most sealed speakers may lack bass at low volumes as this is down to the Fletcher Munson curves and the fact that they have a shallower bass roll off, resulting in less bass in the 70hz-120hz range but deeper bass from the equivelent sized ported cabinet and dont have a tuned port 'hump' around the tuning point.

BigH said:
HAving read some more about ATCs they are not for me, Harbeth P3ESRs sound like they could be but are far too expensive at £1,450, is there anything similar to Harbeths but around £400-£800? Epos Epic 2s sounds as though they could be OK?

Have you not heard them first then?

Other speakers that tend to work near rear walls are the Rega R1 and R3 (currently RS1 and RS3). Spendor S3/5R2 and SA1 are well worth a look as well.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
"Have you not heard them first then?"

No none of the dealers around seem to stock them. I'm seeking out speakers that maybe suitable and then try to hear them.

I thought that about RS1s they were the first speakers I demo-ed, did not like them at all, sounded veiled, the B&W CM1s were better.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
As I posted on your other speaker thread, istereos is near you and stocks them. They don't stock a lot else, but have all of the entry range.

Thanks Ben looks like they are in Frinton so hardly near me, about 50 miles away and they don't seem to be much else so not sure how I could audition them and as said don't think they will suit me.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

Could you remind us: What amp do you have?

I currently have an Arcam Alpha 3 but looking to upgrade that, going to hear the Creek A50 next. Have tried Rega Brio R, Audiolab 8200A, Arcam A19 and MF M3i.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Just come across these speakers that someone mentioned are good for positioning fairly close to back walls. Does anyone have them? Are they good at playing at low-moderate volume? The amp. will probably be a Creek A50 or similar. Music is mostly, Vocals, Jazz, Classic Rock so bass is not a big requirement.

It's the Creek Evolution 50A not 'A50'. (It helps the rest of us search for it with more success.)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
BigH said:

It's the Creek Evolution 50A not 'A50'. (It helps the rest of us search for it with more success.)

Sorry got mixed up.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Whatever you call it, it looks small and pretty and has good feedback so far.

Interesting that John Westlake has developed an FM/AM module that can be fitted inside (with connections already on the back).

Interesting too that the 50A has electronic tone controls. Good for them.

If they had got a DAC in it too I might buy one.

The 50D will have DAC, CDP, pre-amp and tuner built in, but will be about £1100 - £1200 (and no built-in power amp) and it won't be launched until at least August.

I wish they'd slap everything - from both boxes - into an 'all in one' for £1500 and give Naim a bit of competition for their Uniti offerings.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:

Interesting that John Westlake has developed an FM/AM module that can be fitted inside (with connections already on the back).

The 50D will have DAC, CDP, pre-amp and tuner built in, but will be about £1100 - £1200 (and no built-in power amp) and it won't be launched until at least August.

Yes reviews are very good. There is a plug-in DAC coming soon.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
chebby said:

Yes reviews are very good. There is a plug-in DAC coming soon.

Yes but it won't be compatible with current production Evolution 50A amps. There will be a revised 50A that will accommodate the DAC module but not yet.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
"Have you not heard them first then?"

No none of the dealers around seem to stock them. I'm seeking out speakers that maybe suitable and then try to hear them.

I thought that about RS1s they were the first speakers I demo-ed, did not like them at all, sounded veiled, the B&W CM1s were better.

I would certainly recommend you demo them if you can :)

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

Have tried Rega Brio R, Audiolab 8200A, Arcam A19 and MF M3i.

And what were your initial thoughts of these amps? and which speakers did you test them with?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

And what were your initial thoughts of these amps? and which speakers did you test them with?

Rega Brio R - seemed underpowered with the B&W CM1s, sounded harsh when vol. above 11, also with RS1s.

Audiolab 8200A seemed quite good, maybe a bit cold with some speakers like DB1s but fine with KEF LS50s.

MF, good more powerful than the Audiolab but not worth £1,000 for me, heard with LS50s.

Arcam A19 - Refined maybe too refined for me but only a short demo with CM1s.

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

Rega Brio R - seemed underpowered with the B&W CM1s, sounded harsh when vol. above 11, also with RS1s.

Audiolab 8200A seemed quite good, maybe a bit cold with some speakers like DB1s but fine with KEF LS50s.

MF, good more powerful than the Audiolab but not worth £1,000 for me, heard with LS50s.

Arcam A19 - Refined maybe too refined for me but only a short demo with CM1s.

Thanks, BigH. Try and hear Totem Rainmakers or Dreamcatchers with the Arcam A19. That should sound pretty tasty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts