ATC SCM 11 with Roksan Caspian M2 Amp ?

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm currently eyeing up some ATC SCM 11's as a speaker upgrade.

Apparently they are a bit difficult to drive and favour high power amps, will the 85w of my Roksan Caspian M2's be enough ? I think the recommended minimum for the ATC is 65w. What should I listen out for if the amp is struggling ?

Thanks

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hawkwind16 said:
I'm currently eyeing up some ATC SCM 11's as a speaker upgrade.

Apparently they are a bit difficult to drive and favour high power amps, will the 85w of my Roksan Caspian M2's be enough ? I think the recommended minimum for the ATC is 65w. What should I listen out for if the amp is struggling ?

Thanks

Distortion

As Andrew says...

Unless you’ve a very large room and like very loud music you should be fine. You doubtless know that the volume control is rarely a good guide to how close your amp is to running out of puff. But it’s a decent amp and ATCs are a kind load, albeit a bit less sensitive that typical.

What you may fine, ironically, is that you choose to listen a bit louder because they are so ‘clean’ sounding.

At a dealer you could try your amp. If buying used, its a bit of a punt!

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
As Andrew says...

Unless you’ve a very large room and like very loud music you should be fine. You doubtless know that the volume control is rarely a good guide to how close your amp is to running out of puff. But it’s a decent amp and ATCs are a kind load, albeit a bit less sensitive that typical.

What you may fine, ironically, is that you choose to listen a bit louder because they are so ‘clean’ sounding.

At a dealer you could try your amp. If buying used, its a bit of a punt!

Thanks - struggling to find a local dealer to demo the ATC !

Hi Hawkwind16

As nopiano has said keep the volume in check and it should be fine.

Fwiw, over the last eleven years every now and again we use a NAD C325BEE 50w/ch @ £270 with SCM11 MK1 and SCM11 MK2 passive monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm sure they are excellent but there are a number of cracking speakers out there, and one better suited to lower wattage amps.

As the others have said clipping is hi-fi's biggest nemesis, but the Caspian should have ample power for low to medium levels.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hawkwind16 said:
What speakers would you recommend instead ?

Even from my severely limited exposure to different set ups. I have realised that a single universal speaker doesn't exist. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. It is just about getting what suits your taste... So what is yours :)

Hawkwind16 said:
Just looked in the ATC manual on their website, and they recommend starting with the speakers 2 metres in from the rear wall ! They must live in big houses.
Bear in mind that guidance is for the entire entry series. Mine are almost four times the cabinet volume, and therefore with rather more bass extension, and I can assure you they don’t need to be that far into the room. (Our room is about 6.5 metres long, plus a bay window, and about 3.5 metres wide. I sit a bit more than halfway down the room, listening lengthways) It’s good guidance if you’re starting from a blank canvas, perhaps. And you’re dealing with sealed boxes, not reflex designs, so the bass rolls off smoothly with no fake humps.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Hawkwind16 said:
Just looked in the ATC manual on their website, and they recommend starting with the speakers 2 metres in from the rear wall ! They must live in big houses.

I would start with them placed close to the front wall but away from the side walls.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hawkwind16 said:

That has the luxury to have speakers 2 m away from the back wall.

I've never had any issues with ATC 30 cm away and 1m away from side wall.

I think you'll find that the smaller ATC speakers are less prone to boundary limitations as you'll think
They are a sealed design.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
As they are sealed cabinets they should be tolerant in most rooms. Think it'll be as much about how the amp controls the speaker rather than room size.

I've heard difference in presentation using different amps with same speakers.

One example would be the difference between Hegel and Cyrus signature power amps(how much was room and how much was amp is anyone's guess)
I've also heard through naim which was ok at best.

The only amp I'd avoid that I've heard power ATC was sugen
Just not enough krag to get to decent volume and when the bass gets heavy it's game over.

Nice amp like your tucana will be very good also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts