ATC or PMC (bookshelf) speakers - budget up to £1,600 - canvasing for opinions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
What happened to giving the original post some serious advice instead of having a debate of which speaker is better than the other:

well, that is kinda what the op seems to be after. however, my opinion of what he should really do, is forget his current direction and go demo some active speakers. if looks aren't too important, then studio actives can deliver amazing, hi-end sound, for relatively little money.

A

Anonymous

Save yourself £1100 bu buying a S/H pair of Acoustic Energy AE1 Classics off ebay. They have front firing bass ports so ideal for shelves, mine are on quarter inch plate glass secured with blu tac and sound just fine. Nice soundstage as well. My Bruv has ATC's, ugly beggars but bass to kill, built like a brick s***house and apparently their after sales service is second to none. He blew a drive unit a couple of years back and got a new one FOC (they are not cheap either, magnets are enormous, so don't stick em near the telly or the cutlery drawer)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Should I like ATC SCM11s (on Partington stands) with a Primare i30 amp, Rega P3-24, Rega Apollo, DacMagic (balanced XLR connected) with lossless CD rips from an iMac?

It's just that's the only way I have ever heard them (for about 8 hours every month or so over a couple of years) and I still don't really like them.

I have mentioned this before and been told it's my ears or some defiency in the equipment (can't do anything about the equipment, it's not mine) but never the speakers.

i believe at least some of that is aimed in my direction, so, as i have said before, after reading your description of the sound some of it chimed with what i thought when i had a dacmagic in my system. unlike you though, i've also heard them with other kit and so am in a position to offer an opinion of what the cause may be. put atc on the end of an arcam cd37 and moon i3rs amp, for example, and you get a sound like some of the more inoffensive spendors - about as far as you can get from your description of your friends system, lovely and organic with acoustic music but lacking attack and grunt for rock.

so i think i was justified in offering the opinion i did, based on hearing them sound like completely different speakers depending on partnering kit.

[/quote]

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
SonofSun said:
Just to add to the ATC vs PMC debate. I've owned the SCM19's but had to sell them as I just couldn't live with them, they were just too bright on a lot of recordings. They were bought to replace my PMC GB1i's, yes...I fell for all the hype. What I realised in the end was how much I like the GB1i's.

This probably doesn't help, but just thought I'd dip my oar in.

Thanks for speaking up SonofSun. It's nice to have the point you're trying to make proven every now and again. And yes, your post is of help to the OP.

A

Anonymous

I second the suggestion for active speakers. The AVI ADM9Ts are exceptionally good.

A

Anonymous

I think it's safe now! Well aside from the debated speakers, I actually think you might enjoy the RX6 with Marantz combo. Whilst you must at least consider some Dynaudio, they really do gel well. Of course if you fancy a wait then the EB2 would be a good bet.

:rockout:

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
W O W, I go away for the day and look what mayhem ensues!!!!!

Thanks for all your views, advice and….. errrr, entertainment.

Contrary git that I am at times, I decided to up my budget and go with a pair of Usher Be-718. What initially swung the game in their direction was a review article I read on http://www.6moons.com/

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/usher2/tinydancer.html

This combined with an effusive dealer’s recommendation (who is very familiar with Marantz electronics and the Pearls duo) convinced me. The allure of Beryllium dome tweeters and a lush finish for an extra £300 on the PMC TB2i’s price point was simply irresistible. Aesthetically they are the kind of speaker that would be easy to consign to a bedroom with a small set-up, once serious floorstanders are procured.

I did audition a host of bookshelfers in the £500 to £1300 bracket, including the PMC DB1s and PMC TB2is, but the ATC SCM dealers were too much of a hike to demo. The PMC TB2is came out top of the ones I demoed, with an enhanced soundscape compared to the DB1s.

1. The merits of progressively more expensive speaker cable.

2. The effectiveness of power conditioning equipment.

This proved to be an enlightening and fascinating exercise, eliciting two conclusions along the lines of anyone who claims:

a) You do not achieve sonic performance gains from investing in more expensive speaker cable.

b) Power conditioning equipment does not enhance and optimise the sound of music.

Either needs to get their ears cleaned out or could, arguably, be diagnosed as being clinically insane; after launching this salvo I will now swiftly run for cover to higher ground…

Cheers,
SonicD

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
MattSPL said:
Congratulations :) The Ushers look great.

Interested to hear what mains conditioning products you heard.

Cheers
Matt

IsoTek Sigmas and Synchro Power Cord, which I demoed with the Marantz Pearl SACD player and Amp combo (which I know well as I own them) and ART Deco 15 (standard) speakers, with music I know extremely well. The components were plugged in as follows:

a) To a conventional extension socket, using standard kettle leads.

b) To the Sigmas with a superior IsoTek mains cable (can't remember which one).

c) To the Sigmas and Synchro Power Cord.

The progressive improvements to the soundstage, depth of bass and timbre of the vocals were impressive.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Question: ATC or PMC?

60 posts of arguing later....

Answer: Usher!

You gotta love this hobby. :rofl:

Enjoy your new purchase. :dance:

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Sonic Dreamer said:
MattSPL said:
Congratulations :) The Ushers look great.

Interested to hear what mains conditioning products you heard.

Cheers
Matt

IsoTek Sigmas and Synchro Power Cord, which I demoed with the Marantz Pearl SACD player and Amp combo (which I know well as I own them) and ART Deco 15 (standard) speakers, with music I know extremely well. The components were plugged in as follows:

a) To a conventional extension socket, using standard kettle leads.

b) To the Sigmas with a superior IsoTek mains cable (can't remember which one).

c) To the Sigmas and Synchro Power Cord.

The progressive improvements to the soundstage, depth of bass and timbre of the vocals were impressive.

Sounds like a good demo :)

I'm a believer in mains products myself and have had very positive results with various cables/products. I haven't tried IsoTek yet though.

Cheers
Matt

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Question: ATC or PMC? 60 posts of arguing later.... Answer: Usher! You gotta love this hobby. :rofl: Enjoy your new purchase. :dance:

:grin:
The funny thing is, I never said the PMC's were better - just that they were livelier at lower volumes :doh:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
CnoEvil said:
Question: ATC or PMC? 60 posts of arguing later.... Answer: Usher! You gotta love this hobby. :rofl: Enjoy your new purchase. :dance:

:grin: The funny thing is, I never said the PMC's were better - just that they were livelier at lower volumes :doh:

Not having a go in any way....just a little quiet amusement. :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:

Hi CnE

It wasn't dead certain as to what speakers the OP would end up with :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

This is true.....and I bet you didn't forsee that outcome. :O :)

A

Anonymous

Hobby......HOBBY HORSE MORE LIKE .... :bounce: Good entertainment ;)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
CnoEvil said:

Hi CnE

It wasn't dead certain as to what speakers the OP would end up with :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

This is true.....and I bet you didn't forsee that outcome. :O :)

I suspect it was a bit like flogging a dead horse. Honest. ;)

Enjoy the new speakers :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts