AS500 clicking sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I've recently bought a Yamaha AS500 amp, and I've noticed it makes quite a distinct clicking sound a couple of seconds after the power is switched on. It only happens once after each time the power is switched on, and it doesn't seem to be causing a problem at the moment, but I'm wondering if it's something that might become an issue later. Does anyone know if this is normal, or is it some kind of fault?

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Does it make the same sound when you switch inputs, say from phono to CD? Normally when switching on power, if the input selections and speaker protection circuits are relay operated, they will click on after a couple of seconds as the cicuits are charged and components settle. This sometimes stops large thumps being heard through your speaker. If you are on standby, the inputs and circuits are in a "ready to go state", so this is why you don't hear hear the clicking. Sounds normal to me.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies.

tino - it doesn't make the same noise when I switch inputs, but if you think it sounds normal that's encouraging.

audipheonix - I looked in the manual and couldn't find any reference to this. If it's mentioned somewhere could you be a bit more specific about where I would find it?

A

Anonymous

It's perfectly normal, the explanation you were first given is the reason why... Just do a test : start your CD player, or any source, before turning the amp on. Be sure its input is on that source. When you'll press the On button on the amp, you won't hear the music UNTIL you hear the clicking sound. Yamaha with this line of separates tried to recreate the looks, build, and use of old 80's amp. And it happens that this clicking sound was caracteristic of a tube amp. Not that you will not hear similar noises from new solid state amp depending on the brand and built, but I think in this case that the Yamaha engineers made pretty damn sure you could hear it from across the room!

A

Anonymous

the clicking when you power up is perfectly normal. there should be no clicking when you change inputs.

A

Anonymous

Hey PhilBlvdElec

I tested that out and it worked as you described. Good to know it's designed behaviour and not a fault.

Thanks to everyone else who replied also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts