Argon Stream 2 (Hifi Klubben)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This is really for our northern european contributers, if you can help.

The Argon Stream 2 appears to be a fantastic low cost streamer pre-amp with, ideally for me, built in Spotify Connect.

ARGSTREAM2BK_1low.jpg

Very inexpensive, about £95 + shipping, this simple looking device seems to cover most of the bases, cheap enough to be used as a dedicated Spotify Connect 'server', which is pretty much all I would want.

Use it to drive a small pair of good active speakers and a very discrete, simple setup can be had for a few hundred pounds.

Anyone with any input on this model or brand (Hifi Klubben 'house' brand....?), much appreciated.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have one pretty because of your reasons.Just perfect for spotify connect.Sounds not different if connected to a dac of your choice than any other streamer.Access to your Nas also possible and offers I-net-radio via v-tuner on top.It is limited to 44khz but plays all file types.Pre amp and Dac section for e.x. active speakers is nah but ok for price but a Node and SQBT sounds def. better imo.I think it is a nice small device with a good price.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Esra said:
I have one pretty because of your reasons.Just perfect for spotify connect.Sounds not different if connected to a dac of your choice than any other streamer.Access to your Nas also possible and offers I-net-radio via v-tuner on top.It is limited to 44khz but plays all file types.Pre amp and Dac section for e.x. active speakers is nah but ok for price but a Node and SQBT sounds def. better imo.I think it is a nice small device with a good price.

I realise that this is a budget product, but I am most interested in just how good it sounds from the analogue outs, buying an outboard dac will more than double the price and the VFM is lost.

Spotify Connect via the Stream 2 to something like a pair of HS5s for a little over £300 strikes me as something of a bargain, simple and elegant to use too. Once set up just use the Spotify app on the iPad.

How about build quality? And the Hifi Klubben group, are they good to deal with, decent service etc?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well as I said i didn´t found the analogue output up to a Bluesound node or Squeezebox touch but it is listenable of course depends on your expectations.So I guess you have to try if it meets your needs.Build quality is good,looks fine,hey it´s plastic but it does what it should do.I didn´t had any contact to hifi klubben or needed any service as all works just fine.No problems and everything selfexplaining.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Ey Esra, didn't you also have the Pioneer N-P01? How do they compare? Did you replace it with the Stream 2, or still have both?

Does the Stream 2 show album covers on the screen when playing music? I've looked for pictures in the Internet and haven't found any showing this.

Thanks as always.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes I do also use the N-P01 in an other room and some SBT.The N-P01 is more advanced,it plays high res files and can also do DSD,has Bluetooth aptx etc. if that is important for you.The analogue out is fixed,so there is no volume control,but imo. it sounds better than the argon via analogue in my systems.Via optical i couldn´t find any differences in sound.Both devices can be run in simu. mode analogue and optical at the same time which can be usefull. The Pioneer app looks nicer,the argon app is slightly faster,display on the Pioneer is a lot better and bigger.Both devices show album covers but they are small and imo not useable from distance like the SBT which tops in sound both devices via usb imo. (which would depend on dacs used)and quality of i-net radio.But it has it´s own known shortcomings with spotify and access to nas.Spotify with connect function is much more useable and both devices do 100% on this and you don´t need to run your computer if you want to access your nas.If analogue out is important for you i found the bluesound node best within "reasonable priced" devices which i would recommend if you would like to run a minisystem with active speakers for low cost.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A comprehensive post, thank you.

The Node is £399 in the uk, much more expensive than the Stream 2. If the Spdif output is good, then maybe the answer is a pair of digital active speakers connected via Toslink. Or I could use my Fiio d3 which I have kicking about somewhere.

In a Spotify only situation everthing is controlled from the Spotify app on an iThing, so really simple for everyone, interestingly the latest version of Spotify for OSX now supports Connect........*yahoo*

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Hope that helps...and I don´t think the Fiio dac sounds better or worse than the one built in the argon.I have a little inexpensive Fiio (don´t know name anymore around 25 Euros) dac too and I would say they are pretty on par via analogue out.I am also not sure if the argon is able to control the volume via optical,I didn´t try this situation.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I haven't heard it, but I have an Argon headphone amp that I bought from our local HifiKlubben, which is excellent.

The staff there are a knowlegable and friendly bunch too.

Interesting product too, I may give it a whirl myself at some point.

Negatives according to the website

No DAB/radio

Only supports Spotify (No deezer what have you)

Not the best user-interface

No multi-room

Needs network configuration

Still, pretty good value by the looks of it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It would be silly if the digital volume in Spotify is not used on the Spdif output, but sillier things have happened, I guess I will have to check that out.

I was seriously considering contacting Hifi Klubben in Denmark to see if I can get one shipped but recent changes to Spotify, particularly the dynamic range issues mentioned elsewhere have made me think again.

I had more or less decided to stick to Spotify and move to Connect until the recent changes, I am now thinking I may well wait and see what Apple come up with in their big Apple Music/iTunes refit.

*nea*

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I am listening to Spotify now, through Squeezebox. The quality is excellent... :)

If it has been reduced, I can't tell. Sounds great to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts