Are you really an audiophile? Simple test.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

amormusic said:
For me is Yanny. Clear as day. Mrs Amor hears Laurel, as does my eldest, but youngest also hears Yanny.

I recently had ears syringed (best hifi upgrade ever - highly recommend), so I figure the Mrs and eldest are hearing funny.

Read article suggesting you hear Yanny if can detect higher pitched sounds as apparently both words are present. Don’t know if that’s true. Certainly strange though. I thought it was a windup.

I too read that both words are there, apparently a LF Laurel and a HF Yanny. That might explain PP's speed observation (see post #24).

As for ear syringes. You're preaching to the converted Amor, I've had two. The first, no real effect. The second time some motorised device was used and it certainly did the trick. The ultimate upgrade, never mind changing cables!

Sliced Bread

Electro said:
For me it's Yanny on all different devices even playing with tone controls made no difference.

BUT if I jam my index fingers deep into both my ears so that I can only just hear the sound I can hear Laurel .

I deduce from this that my hearing would have to be totally shot to pieces to hear Laurel under normal circumstances. *yes3* *biggrin*

No hope for me then. I hear Laurel at all times except when I use my phone speakers.

Maybe I should start turning my system down :(

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I think it's time we had a Brexit only section and then summary expulsion from the forum for anyone who derails threads in other sections with the merest mention of it (#I'mturningintoagrumpyoldman!)

Gray

Sliced Bread said:
Electro said:
Gray said:
When the result of the EU ref was announced, l swear l heard leave.

*ROFL*

It's amazing 48% heard remain , I think they need their ears syringed. *biggrin*

And 52% heard 350 million quid.

Bosh *yahoo*

And what percentage saw the Government's leaflet? You remember the one that cost 9 million pounds. I read every word of it - could have been written by the EU themselves.

Not for a second did I believe any red bus message, don't worry about 52% being influenced by it - or being persuaded how to vote by any social media.

Sliced Bread

Diamond Joe said:
I think it's time we had a Brexit only section and then summary expulsion from the forum for anyone who derails threads in other sections with the merest mention of it (#I'mturningintoagrumpyoldman!)

Probably a good idea to be fair. I won’t comment on it any further as this forum is supposed to be fun :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Sliced Bread said:
And 52% heard 350 million quid.  

That was full recommended price. A shop in Derby then reduced the price to £125 million and the government went with that. The quoted delivery time of 2 years is still in doubt, which is normal for this shop apparently. 

Was this shop also sandwiched between a sex shop and a dirty Chinese takeaway?

Gray

Gray said:
amormusic said:
For me is Yanny. Clear as day. Mrs Amor hears Laurel, as does my eldest, but youngest also hears Yanny.

I recently had ears syringed (best hifi upgrade ever - highly recommend), so I figure the Mrs and eldest are hearing funny.

Read article suggesting you hear Yanny if can detect higher pitched sounds as apparently both words are present. Don’t know if that’s true. Certainly strange though. I thought it was a windup.

I too read that both words are there, apparently a LF Laurel and a HF Yanny. That might explain PP's speed observation (see post #24).

As for ear syringes. You're preaching to the converted Amor, I've had two. The first, no real effect. The second time some motorised device was used and it certainly did the trick. The ultimate upgrade, never mind changing cables!

...but I had to try it. Played normally, clearly Yanny. Raised the pitch, clearly Laurel - the opposite of the theory?

Maybe try it for yourself. If you hear Laurel, try lowering the pitch, see if you get Yanny. Still not sure what's going on - maybe you've never cared!

Edit: When I went back to the normal speed original, I heard the opposite to what I'd previously, consistently heard! (FFS)

If altering the pitch switches what you hear, see what happens when you try the normal speed one again. (Brain training?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts