Are you happy with your system?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

Update, have a totally different system in late october,early november 2019

For pop,rock music im missing some bass i had to much off with my last speaker,a to full bodied sound, about as much as a pair of Yamaha HS7

gasolin

This i my current speakers frequency response (stereophile, red is without the covers)

317WD225fig4.jpg
csm_LYD-Series_Freefield_0001_7_3247ae43eb_fe2f835f0d.png

I would prefer something like this (a bit more bass), theres no bump around 80-200hz but it starts to fall as low as 60hz ish instead of 80hz

Bass under 40hz i don't think matters as much as how loud the bass can be played before it starts to fall.

Reactions: shadders

shadders

Hi,
My system is a Audiolab 8200AP, CA Azur 650A amplifier, and DIY transmission line speakers (Volt 8" mid-bass, and Seas metal dome tweeters).

I am very happy with the system - have been for years. Only problem i have is that the amplifier has a relay problem - the contacts seem to be high resistance and i lose volume on one channel or the other. I have to switch them rapidly to stop the problem.

Once i complete my DIY active system, then i should not have these issues. The amps i have designed myself - currently testing the amplifiers, speakers built, and PCB for the active crossover has been designed, but yet to get the PCB fabricated.

Below is one of the amps on a heatsink, with 3 spaces for the others - it is a 3-way active speaker - so the other heatsink will have two amplifiers on it.

Amplifier and Heatsink.JPG

Regards,
Shadders.

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
To answer the original question, I'm very happy with my system:

CPMkTH7.jpg

It sounds great, and is very easy to use.

Laptop (via USB) or GL75 turntable (via NAD PP1 pre) into a Cambridge CXA80, feeding custom-built speakers.

Chris

gasolin

Chris your speakers don't seen that deep, am i right?

Update i just ordered a AUDIOPHONICS TDA-S50 Amplifier TDA7498E Class D 2x 50W / 8 Ohm from audiophonic in france

The 36v power supply would increase the total price to much so i just ordered the amp for better sound and mabye tighter bass

My cdplayer isn't the most bass heavy cdpalyer but it's okay

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Yep, they're pretty shallow. Lots of internal absorption to kill off vertical standing waves and reflections through the cone, though.

I wanted something that could sit close to walls, without that affecting the sound in the same way as a traditional 6"+1" might suffer.

Chris

Reactions: gasolin

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Yep, sealed box. My room adds quite a lot of gain at low frequencies - before EQing it flat, I get this:

23gwOqJ.png

So going ported etc wasn't really necessary. Using some DSP in the laptop, I cut at 33, 40 and 70Hz to get a nice flat response, with excellent results.
The turntable goes straight to the amplifier, so ends up with a bit of extra bass.

Chris

paulbysea

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I am very content with my system and am unlikely to change anything in the short term. Of course, if I won the jackpot on the Premium Bonds I would then more than likely upgrade my Linn Naim to a higher spec Linn Naim system. Whilst I wait for ERNIE to reward my patience, I will continue to enjoy listening to music on the current system.

scene

Hi to everyone, old members and new.
It's great to have the forum back!

My answer to this question is I'm not really sure.

Current set-up is:

Rega Apollo CD player
Rega Elex-R amplifier
Choice of Spendor A1 and Dynaudio DM2/6 speakers.

I also have a Marantz MCR611.

Hi and welcome back!

Why aren't you really sure?

matthewpiano

Hi scene,

The system does so much right. With the Spendors the tonal accuracy and detail is superb, and vocals are extremely life like. The drawback is that it is hyper revealing of less than perfect recordings and it can sound slightly papery (a function of the limitations in bass response I think).
The Dyns sound warmer and less critical of recordings. The vocals are excellent but it can all sound slightly heavy handed.

I'm planning to make some changes, and add streaming and turntable sources in the near future, but I'm not yet sure what to do.

scene

Hi scene,

The system does so much right. With the Spendors the tonal accuracy and detail is superb, and vocals are extremely life like. The drawback is that it is hyper revealing of less than perfect recordings and it can sound slightly papery (a function of the limitations in bass response I think).
The Dyns sound warmer and less critical of recordings. The vocals are excellent but it can all sound slightly heavy handed.

I'm planning to make some changes, and add streaming and turntable sources in the near future, but I'm not yet sure what to do.

Yes, Spendors have always had a bit of an issue with bass, and I know the A1s are better than past models, there's still some limitations on the bass.

My faithful old Arcam 85 is paired with a pair of AE Compact 1s which I got due to size and budget constraints and they're OK - but not what I want...
- going to post separately on this, and I'm still space and a bit budget constrained *sigh*

You going to be looking at new speakers as well, B&W 606s look good, but out of my price range, as are the 607s I fear.

matthewpiano

Yes, Spendors have always had a bit of an issue with bass, and I know the A1s are better than past models, there's still some limitations on the bass.

My faithful old Arcam 85 is paired with a pair of AE Compact 1s which I got due to size and budget constraints and they're OK - but not what I want...
- going to post separately on this, and I'm still space and a bit budget constrained *sigh*

You going to be looking at new speakers as well, B&W 606s look good, but out of my price range, as are the 607s I fear.

I'm not sure at this stage. I'm interested in the Monitor Audio Silver 200s but also the Neat Iota Alpha as possibilities. Some blame may also lie with the Rega amp. It isn't the most three dimensional sounding design.

I don't blame you for keeping the A85. It's a very involving and musical design.

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep, very happy with my systems, will probably go cheaper in the future though if the sound quality is up to it.

gasolin

I have learned that good sound don't have to be expensive but you do need some optimizing, like i have an upgraded mat for my turntable om10 cartridge,record weight and a shelf, tape deck and cdplayer very simple, good interconnetcs and hifi feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2457

scene

I'm not sure at this stage. I'm interested in the Monitor Audio Silver 200s but also the Neat Iota Alpha as possibilities. Some blame may also lie with the Rega amp. It isn't the most three dimensional sounding design.

I don't blame you for keeping the A85. It's a very involving and musical design.

Yes, if I was going for floor standers I'd definitely look at the 200s or the Iota's - especially if you're looking for more bass. I've had the a85 since new, and when I first got it I had it paired with my MA Silver 8i and it was fantastic. I've still got the 8is as the heart of my AV system. If I could stretch to the silver 100s, I would...

matthewpiano

Hello idc. Great to hear you are still enjoying your system so much.

Tonight I'm enjoying mine a lot with my old Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s on. They strike a good balance, having more solidity than the Spendors but without the slightly hyped sound of the Dyns. This may inform my next move...

Reactions: idc

manicm

Wow, the forums are back. Welcome back everyone.

I purchased a Denon Heos Bar 2 years ago - the top line model, and I can't say I'm happy. Functionally it does everything well, HDMI ARC switching, hi-res compatible, easy app, but for music there's no stereo effect, just one big wall of sound.

I'm looking to replace with either a Marantz NR1200 stereo AV amp, or their new streaming PM7000N which WHF gave 5 *s. I'm compromising slightly toward convenience as I don't want multiple boxes, even though I may be tempted by one the new CA stereo amps.

Reactions: matthewpiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts