Are new speakers today that much better than the best used speakers??

Jai

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I recently changed my amp to a NAD c370.

120w into 8 ohms.

I have mission 760i's which are good, but not great, and clearly not a match for the NAD.

Due to the room, I must stay with bookshelf speakers, not stand or floor, but there is no limit to the size (within reason).

Also, they must sit quite close (1 to 5cm) to a solid wall.

Q. What is the best NEW mid-price speakers you would recommend?

The BX2's are 'picky to match',

Zensor 3's have a rear port,

the 121's are a maybe,

B&W 685's are a stretch on price so are they justified at double the price of these others?.

Q. What are the best used speakers to consider??

Q. Are the best new speakers of this size and price really better than the best from a few years ago??

Thanks.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

This is difficult to answer as what is the best to one person may not be the best to another. It is all very subjective. However, I now own the oldest speakers I have owned (they are from mid 70s) and I am happier with my system than I have ever been. I have just ordered a new amp so no doubt things will be taken to another level. I certainly wouldn't rule out old speakers and quite often you can get them chep enough that if you find you don't like them you can just sell them on!!

James

iJoe

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
B&W 685's are a stretch on price so are they justified at double the price of these others?

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/b-w-685speakers-ex-display-model/clearance_speakers?pp=96

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
Hi

This is difficult to answer as what is the best to one person may not be the best to another. It is all very subjective. However, I now own the oldest speakers I have owned (they are from mid 70s) and I am happier with my system than I have ever been. I have just ordered a new amp so no doubt things will be taken to another level. I certainly wouldn't rule out old speakers and quite often you can get them chep enough that if you find you don't like them you can just sell them on!!

James

Goodmans Magnum K2, now there is a blast from my hifi past.

Purchased them in 1972/3 and stayed with me for at least a couple of years. They improved a lot when I at first tilted them up at the front and then again when I had them fully off the floor; in effect 'stand-mounting' what were considered floor-standers. Enjoy.

T

the record spot

New: Tannoy DC4 or DC6. Used, Mission 751. If you prefer a slightly smoother sound with a smart looking contemporary finish, then the Pioneer S71-B standmount is a worthy choice too.

Forget my Tannoy suggestion, they need room to sound their best and I missed that on your listing you need them close to a wall.

Jai said:
I recently changed my amp to a NAD c370.

120w into 8 ohms.

I have mission 760i's which are good, but not great, and clearly not a match for the NAD.

Due to the room, I must stay with bookshelf speakers, not stand or floor, but there is no limit to the size (within reason).

Also, they must sit quite close (1 to 5cm) to a solid wall.

Q. What is the best NEW mid-price speakers you would recommend?

The BX2's are 'picky to match',

Zensor 3's have a rear port,

the 121's are a maybe,

B&W 685's are a stretch on price so are they justified at double the price of these others?.

Q. What are the best used speakers to consider??

Q. Are the best new speakers of this size and price really better than the best from a few years ago??

Thanks.

Modern speakers are different, but not necessarily better.

Modern speakers: Neat Iotas, Q Acoustics... depends on your budget.

S/hand: MS Pearls, B&W 601s or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried mine on the floor but they now sit on home made stands and sound better for it. I have a few modifications planned for these speakers so as far as I am concerned they are deffinate keepers.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
My personal opinion is that the lower priced speakers of today have benefited from better manufacturing, more consistent build and materials that used to be considered exotic and reserved for expensive speakers. So, buying new yields benefits. However, quality speakers from the past should not be dismissed out of hand because you might have to spend much much more to get a similar sound. My only caution is that spare parts will be an issue and you might not know if they have been used with care or spent their years turned up to 11!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
All the revolutionary ideas in speaker design happened decades ago. Therefore brand new speakers are only marginal better than old speakers, possibly not better at all. Like I would argue that monitor audio silver series hit its peak with the RS6 which is now two generations old.

For your particular situation I'd recommend some ATC scm 11s. Because they are a sealed box design they will perform well snug to the wall as you plan to do. Most speakers will definitely perform sub-par that close to the wall.

utomo

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, in audio world, speaker are the less developed parts.

I don't know why so little improvements in speakers, compared to 30-40 years ago.

I hope there is big research in speaker to make it much better and also much more efficient.

Now the speaker efficiency is very low.

There is huge opportunity to improve speaker.

Cmiiw

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
speaker technology hasnt really changed much over the last decade or so, new driver materials have been researched such as kevlar, different types of lightweight metals and plastics and even wood pulp, but they are just variation on a theme, i am using a pait of 17 year acoustic energy AE109, I have tried various newer models but always go back to the AE's, there is something about their sound that works for me, one thing is for sure, their cabinets are far more solid than anthing sub £1000 floorstander wise, perhaps that is their secret, they are not perfect of course and can sound bloomy and heavy in the wrong location, the cones are just treated paper I believe, maybe thats still a good option after all the different materials tried,

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Just been thinking about my first pair of 'real' hifi speakers in the 80's,, they where sony APM22 ES , 'accurate pistonic motion' was the blurb, they had flat square aluminium honeycomb structured drivers for bass and treble, they had plenty of bass slam and exellent detailed treble, 'almost like electrostatic' , according a hifi choice blindfold review,and gave them a resounding 'best buy' , the panel was shocked when they speakers reavealed where £200 sony models, wonder why this technology never caught on,

cj_random

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Disclaimer: not my videos, I just found them. ;)

Well I just listened to both on my pc through the free headphones I got on a Monarch flight to Tenerife back in 1987 and the JBL speakers sound significantly better than the BMW's.

T

the record spot

To the OP, Audio Emotion in Fife have a pair of Mission 752s in their used stock section. £295. I used to have a pair and they were stunningly good speakers. Some argue better than the 753. This is the original model and not the Freedom version and knowing AE they'll be in Abe condition. I know where my money would be going. Rosewood finish so you might have to compromise if you went for them but for the price they're still an "up there" design.

rainsoothe

I don't know how they work with NAD amps, but, when i was looking for a new system, i found that XTZ is a brand of huge value. Sweedish i belive. If you don't have a dealer stocking them where you live, you can order from their website, u can trial at your home for 2 or 3 weeks (i forgot exactly how long) and if you don't like them, you can send them back for a full refund. You only have to pay for transportation - but nothing beats hi-fi home trials, and XTZ are worth WAY above what you pay for. Also, they have room tuning (twakable treble and bass). Seriously, don't be fooled by their price, they are really really good.

XTZ 93.23 should be like around 420$ a pair (listed price is 210$ for 1 unit). If you want the more expensive sibling, it's the XTZ 99.26MK II, which is also really good.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@electro, cj and spiny

Thats cool. Me and my friend, who is also an audiophile, we preffered the CM1's by a mile. That much strong presence like in the JBL midrange tires me quickly and I can't play my music loud for longer sessions. The B&W signature laidback sound (FR dip at 2kHz), although colored and not ruller flat, it suits me much better.

It shows you how subjective preferences get and generalizing old vs new is not so simple and straightforward.

TRENDING THREADS