Are Apple customers too conformist?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sliced Bread

idc said:
I think it is because many Beats are bought as they are seen as fashionable. They may actually be very good sound wise, but they are not being bought for that reason
And that is the key. It's the motive of the individual.

I feel sorry for the people who buy something as it's a good choice (iphone with beats headphones), but are stereotyped as being a confirmist :doh:

Paul.

I nearly didn't demo the Bose OE2i because of preconceptions. Ended up buying them, love em to bits and I still can't believe something sounding that good and soo comfortable can fit in a pocket.

As much as I like to play devils advocate, I would struggle to buy Beats even if they sounded amazing (they didn't when I demoed them) as they look ridiculous. I would hate to discount a product though based on the beliefs of others. (and by beliefs I don't mean the opinions of the experienced, I mean chants of Hipster')

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
idc said:
Paul Hobbs said:
Why is buying Beats conformist? I see more people wearing senheisers than I do wearing Beats. Maybe Beats are the anti establishment choice?

I think it is because many Beats are bought as they are seen as fashionable. They may actually be very good sound wise, but they are not being bought for that reason.

Conform to the fashion and don't ask enough questions or do enough research to see if you really are getting the best sound quality. That is my issue.

Why should that bother you in the slightest, unless those people folow you around yelling about how great their stuff is?

But I'm glad we didn't forget about Dre.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Alec said:
idc said:
Paul Hobbs said:
Why is buying Beats conformist? I see more people wearing senheisers than I do wearing Beats. Maybe Beats are the anti establishment choice?

I think it is because many Beats are bought as they are seen as fashionable. They may actually be very good sound wise, but they are not being bought for that reason.

Conform to the fashion and don't ask enough questions or do enough research to see if you really are getting the best sound quality. That is my issue.

Why should that bother you in the slightest, unless those people folow you around yelling about how great their stuff is?

I must admit I'm put off buying Beats even if they were the best for the price because they are fashion accessories and scream chav. Not to mention that I hate with a passion the music they represent, rap with a silent "c". I suppose that makes me a reverse snob or something though :p

Saying that, I do like the "shape" of the headphones. Those and the Fanny Wangs... Why can't Sennheiser or AKG or Beyer etc make some good looking headphones?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
Alec said:
idc said:
Paul Hobbs said:

I must admit I'm put off buying Beats even if they were the best for the price because they are fashion accessories and scream chav. Not to mention that I hate with a passion the music they represent, rap with a silent "c". I suppose that makes me a reverse snob or something though :p

Saying that, I do like the "shape" of the headphones. Those and the Fanny Wangs... Why can't Sennheiser or AKG or Beyer etc make some good looking headphones?

Oh indeed, There's a DAC that looks like it's been all graffi'd up fo' da kidz. It'll never be in any system of mine, regardless of how it sounds.

idc

Paul Hobbs said:
I nearly didn't demo the Bose OE2i because of preconceptions. Ended up buying them, love em to bits and I still can't believe something sounding that good and soo comfortable can fit in a pocket.

I dislike the downer many audiophiles have about Bose. Head-fi, which has a majority of US members can be quite vociferous about Bose. There is an example of conformism where audiphiles ignore Bose as they supposedly don't sound as good as they claim and their price would suggest.

idc said:
Paul Hobbs said:

I dislike the downer many audiophiles have about Bose. Head-fi, which has a majority of US members can be quite vociferous about Bose. There is an example of conformism where audiphiles ignore Bose as they supposedly don't sound as good as they claim and their price would suggest.

I agree. I haven't been a fan of their home cinema systems, but their headphones & computer speakers are brilliant.

A

Anonymous

I personally didn't own even the most basic iPod until 2 years ago, when I got one as a prize for winning at tenpin bowling at a works do.

I now own 2 iPhones (1 for wife), my son has an iPod touch (great for cheap gaming & face timing his mates), we have 2 iPads (one for work that I use for presentations etc.) and the new apple TV.

Why, not because I'm conforming, but they are just so easy to use.

P.s. not even my son has stuck with the original earphones BTW.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts