• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Are Apple customers too conformist?

idc

Well-known member
Jan 2, 2008
1,039
10
19,195
A complete steal of a question from dalethorn who suggested Apple customers are conformist. I think that is very true and it is because Apple products have become legendary and so if they provide buds with their ipods, I think people assume they are the best way to hear their ipod.

I think Apple should stick to what they are good at and making portable music players, tablets and computers and leave music reproduction to others.
 

Clare Newsome

New member
Jun 4, 2007
1,657
0
0
The massive rise in headphone sales in recent years - especially in-ears specifically designed for portable use - suggest millions of Apple users soon rush to upgrade the bundled buds....
 

shafesk

New member
Sep 18, 2010
136
0
0
idc said:
A complete steal of a question from dalethorn who suggested Apple customers are conformist. I think that is very true and it is because Apple products have become legendary and so if they provide buds with their ipods, I think people assume they are the best way to hear their ipod.

I think Apple should stick to what they are good at and making portable music players, tablets and computers and leave music reproduction to others.
I don't think Apple is trying to have a stab at music reproduction by supplying earbuds with their ipods. If you are talking about the in ears they sell, that is a different story, I do remember the early in-ears Apple made. It was at a time when there were few in ears if any at all....atleast none that I remember. They did sound decent. So was the Apple hi-fi if anyone remembers.....it was the first speaker dock I would have even considered buying. Jeez, beginning to sound like an Apple fanboy here, I can assure you I am trying to be unbiased.
 

Clare Newsome

New member
Jun 4, 2007
1,657
0
0
shafesk said:
They did sound decent. So was the Apple hi-fi if anyone remembers.....it was the first speaker dock I would have even considered buying. Jeez, beginning to sound like an Apple fanboy here, I can assure you I am trying to be unbiased.
Sorry, but only the most diehard Apple fan would describe the Apple Hi-Fi speaker dock as sounding decent. That box was a total dog, far from worthy of the Apple name in design terms, or the Hi-Fi name in sonic ones...
 

Sliced Bread

Well-known member
Jul 28, 2010
337
17
18,895
"Are Apple customers too conformist?"
Wow, that's almost as brave as starting a hdmi thread ;)

But my opinion on this, is there's a mixture:

Some because they have researched it and know that Apple DO make very good products (except earphones).
Some buy ipods/iphone as a fashion accessory (a testament to Apples product design and marketing).
Some because they don't know what to buy so they go for what everyone else is using.

It's like many other aspects of life
 

Paul.

Well-known member
Nov 26, 2010
663
0
18,890
I don't think you can realistically sell an iPod without headphones.

Think of it this way, just cos all keen cyclists ditch the plastic pedals that come with their new bike (they are very personal and up to much debate, SPuDs or flats?) doesn't mean Halfords should start selling bikes to average Joes without pedals.

(For the record, Time Capsule is Apples biggest dog. There, I said it)

 

philipjohnwright

New member
Jun 26, 2009
30
0
0
Come on Clare, get off the fence and say what you really think !

Of course we're not all conformists - silly question. Baaaaaa.

Oops, just noticed the Steve Jobs photo in the avatar above.....
 

shafesk

New member
Sep 18, 2010
136
0
0
Clare Newsome said:
shafesk said:
They did sound decent. So was the Apple hi-fi if anyone remembers.....it was the first speaker dock I would have even considered buying. Jeez, beginning to sound like an Apple fanboy here, I can assure you I am trying to be unbiased.
Sorry, but only the most diehard Apple fan would describe the Apple Hi-Fi speaker dock as sounding decent. That box was a total dog, far from worthy of the Apple name in design terms, or the Hi-Fi name in sonic ones...
Well you are the expert but I couldn't find anything in the shops like that at that point....thought it sounded better than the plastic docks that came soon after.
 

shafesk

New member
Sep 18, 2010
136
0
0
philipjohnwright said:
Come on Clare, get off the fence and say what you really think !

Of course we're not all conformists - silly question. Baaaaaa.

Oops, just noticed the Steve Jobs photo in the avatar above.....
Lol....yes I'm a fan of Steve Jobs but that doesn't automatically mean I'm a fan of Apple, just like I'm a fan of Bill Gates but don't love windows....they are both very intelligent men
 

shafesk

New member
Sep 18, 2010
136
0
0
Paul Hobbs said:
I don't think you can realistically sell an iPod without headphones.

Think of it this way, just cos all keen cyclists ditch the plastic pedals that come with their new bike (they are very personal and up to much debate, SPuDs or flats?) doesn't mean Halfords should start selling bikes to average Joes without pedals.

(For the record, Time Capsule is Apples biggest dog. There, I said it)

Time Capsule is a good one...but I would have to say in terms of reliability my airport express is the worst product they've made, I'm on my 3rd one! All in the name of Airplay....sigh
 

GCE

New member
Jan 31, 2011
10
0
0
YESSSS!

But the worst is that when you buy some hifi piece now often you have to extra pay more than 50 €

for silly docks that perhaps you don't need or you 'll never use!

exemple: Pioneer mini hifi xhm10 = €120, but with dock apple = €180 .

And Microsoft was prosecuted some years long for his Media player embedded in Windows...
 

matthewpiano

Well-known member
Nov 23, 2007
300
97
18,970
I don't own a single Apple product. For music on the go I much prefer Sony's Walkman players both for their simple drag and drop approach to transferring music and also for their generally superior sound quality. For mobile phones I prefer HTC and Samsung who I feel have perhaps got more out of Android than anyone else and I actually think Android is better. I don't use Airport Express or Apple TV as my streaming is ably supported by my BT Homehub 3 and a Squeezebox Touch. I don't use Apple Mac computers because I find them more expensive than I feel necessary.

HOWEVER, Apple's success, IMO, is down to the fact that it makes products which (mostly) work very intuitively and very well and which work particularly well when used within the Apple eco system. Of course the other aspect to this is their superb marketing and design - their success in creating and developing a readily identifiable brand.

Apple customers aren't conformist, I think they generally just find the Apple brand creates straight forward and intuitive pathways to utilising technology. Very clever company and I think they deserve their success.
 

Nuwidol

New member
Feb 14, 2012
0
0
0
I don't think you ca categorise any group of buyers.

I have an iPhone & an iPod Touch in my pocket right now but I haw never even had a pair of apple buds in my ears. I use a pair of JH Audio JH13 Pro & a Pico Slim headphone amp when listening to the iPod so I don't even use te iPods internal amplifier.

Mother only time I listen to ten iPhone is when I'm watching a video.

Is that conformist?
 

nads

Well-known member
Nov 29, 2007
385
0
18,890
anyone want some apple ear things. Got 4 sets here. one set used for all or 2 hours.

Apple customers Conformist.

if you say so.

Me, no Fing way.
 

Paul.

Well-known member
Nov 26, 2010
663
0
18,890
What the hell is conformist anyway? Sounds like something a 17 year old would say whilst complaining his favourite band had 'sold out'. I'm conformist in the sence that I don't make my own electronics from raw silicon.

Nads, I have to turn down your gracious offer. I too am drowning in crappy white headphones.
 

axman

New member
Dec 31, 2007
6
0
0
What about all those Dr.Dre Beats earphones, headphones that are appearing everywhere? Apple fans who are trying to be non-conformist but end up being conformist?
 

Paul.

Well-known member
Nov 26, 2010
663
0
18,890
Why is buying Beats conformist? I see more people wearing senheisers than I do wearing Beats. Maybe Beats are the anti establishment choice?
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
Well I'm trying to get the boss to let me buy some Atomic Floyd Superdarts, because I'm afraid that no matter how good the headphones are which came with my iPhone 4S, I just don't have the right-shaped ears to keep the horrible frying-pan-sized Apple things in.
 

idc

Well-known member
Jan 2, 2008
1,039
10
19,195
Paul Hobbs said:
Why is buying Beats conformist? I see more people wearing senheisers than I do wearing Beats. Maybe Beats are the anti establishment choice?
I think it is because many Beats are bought as they are seen as fashionable. They may actually be very good sound wise, but they are not being bought for that reason.

Conform to the fashion and don't ask enough questions or do enough research to see if you really are getting the best sound quality. That is my issue.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts