Are 5 yr warranties really worth it and are cheap on-line shops reliable? Pioneer PDP428XD.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've decided to go for the Pioneer PDP428XD but the best price by far is from one of the cheap internet-only sites but I don't know how reliable they'd be and whether its worth paying the extra for the 5 year warranty.

I've haven't really hear much about these on-line stores but I'm concerned about the care taken in transit as I've heard plasmas need to be kept upright at all times. Do these cheap internet sites use cheap delivery services who don't care? Has anybody had any experiences, good or bad?

Also, are the 5 year warranties worth it? Its one thing to be damaged in transit but are they likely to have problems that are covered by warranty (my knowledge of plasma is limited to its benefits!).

Finally, I have not been able to price match the 428 at John Lewis as they only stock the 4280 model. The choice I have is £1,700 for the 428 with a 5 year warranty from CheapElectrics, or £1,100 for the 4280 from Dixons with a 1 year warranty.......Is the better set with a longer warranty really worth an extra £600? (I have saved up £2000 for the screen plus SKY HD so cash I save is a bonus, not essential).

Really appreciate your advice on this as I'm anxious to get viewing, but scared of making a choice I'll regret.

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The vast majority will be fine, though of course there are no guarantees. If they're giving you a 5 year warranty too, they're unlikely to use a courier who might damage it in transit. If you mention who you're thinking of, someone may have experience with them to put your mind at ease.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]The vast majority will be fine, though of course there are no guarantees. If they're giving you a 5 year warranty too, they're unlikely to use a courier who might damage it in transit. If you mention who you're thinking of, someone may have experience with them to put your mind at ease.[/quote]

Thanks - the best price I can find is by CheapElectrics.co.uk but Digitech and Pixmania also offer good prices. Dixons do the best price for the 4280.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I've used Pixmania before - saw some comments from others that their delivery could take a while, but for me they were fine. Haven't used the other two I'm afraid, though Dixons have always been fine when I've used them as well.

A

Anonymous

Might be worth seeking out your local independent pioneer dealer and haggling a little with them. Most independents will come some way to meeting the internet sites, but you have to remember that they have to make a profit, so you need to offer them a fair price. Perhaps if you arrange the sky installation through them, or buy additional equipment such as interconnects they might be willing to go down a bit further on price or throw in a warranty or installation. Worth a go.

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]The vast majority will be fine, though of course there are no guarantees. If they're giving you a 5 year warranty too, they're unlikely to use a courier who might damage it in transit. If you mention who you're thinking of, someone may have experience with them to put your mind at ease.[/quote]

I bought my Plasma through a well known computer company that I spend £20k+ with each year at work. They used DHL to deliver my plasma, and it still turned up with cracks across the screen! If you every see how parcels are dealt with some courier companies, you would be amazed that anything arrives in one piece! I actually believe that some smaller couriers are better as they can not afford to brake things and risk losing custom.

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Should have pointed out...

it was dealt with by the company I bought it off, a replacement was sent out to me which was in one piece, and DHL were £600 worse off!

A

Anonymous

I agree with Rigadig, most independents will haggle on price, so goin with with a full list of all you want, that way they have some room to jiggle their prices to get a bottomline ,who cares if some bits cost more if the overall package is agood deal.
Yes5 year warrenties are good but not to the value of £600.00

On line retailers are fine but some times the returns procedures can be a bit difficult and you will probably have to pay to get it back to them.

So id stay local if you can get a good deal but it may not be the last penn you save.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="southdownswolf"]They used DHL to deliver my plasma, and it still turned up with cracks across the screen![/quote]

Yup, that's unlucky. My point was though, the supplier is unlikely to use 3rd rate couriers as, if something does break, it's more hassle for them. That doesn't mean of course that a decent courier isn't going to break the device - accidents happen. As you've pointed out though, it's not really in their interests to do so, hence why the majority of deliveries go okay.

I take your point on the small courier companies though. Same can be said for small independent dealers as well generally, as the other posters have pointed out!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I managed to pick up the 4280 for £1100 frm John Lewis (southampton) with 5 yr free warranty. They price matched against Empire Direct (1199+30 delivery) plus 10% off cos it didn't have a box.
It's your call, but I'd rather be deailing with JL than Dixons. At least I can go down the shop and start shouting if I don't get satisfaction......and I understand JL are very good customer service wise anyway.....saving my throat.
The TV arrives tomorrow. Yipppee! (I'm a little excited)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts