400$ amp vs 700$ amp debate, worth it? (Marantz vs Cambridge Audio)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

If you're enjoying the Cambridge with the Qs, then I'd forget worrying about how the Denon would have sounded.

The Denons are excellent value and offer a lot of the qualities of Marantz (their sister company) but with additional clarity, but they aren't necessarily going to be 'better' than what you've bought. I once had a Cambridge Audio 740A (really a predecessor of the CXA60) and it was one of the more satisfying amplifiers I've owned.

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Before purchasing the CXA61 I was really worried about the lack of tone controls. Many people here suggested that if it is a good recording I'm listening to, I wouldn't need any tone controls. They were right.
After a few months with the CXA61 (and the real run-in period) I have got used to the lack of tone controls. I don't think I need them. However, if I had the option, I would totally add TC. All in all, I don't think it's much of a deal now. Most records sound really good, but I do have an lp I really wish were better recorded! but somehow I love listening to it just as it is. It sounds garage-ish and that is part of the fun.
As a musician myself, I find it nice to find out that a few albums I really like, sound worse than the tracks I record for my own musical project! Ha!
Listening to albums now is like a discovery adventure, being able to tell how well recorded an album is is a joy! or how poorly recorded it was!
Next step is to improve my speakers, but meanwhile I'm loving every second of my setup.

Reactions: gasolin

TRENDING THREADS