Arcaydis Audio

blugrass

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Arcaydis have been taken over and relaunched the EB1 and EB2 speakers after the previous owner got into trouble fulfilling orders. As a goodwill gesture are Arcaydis willing to fulfil the orders Richard Allen was paid for but didn't deliver? Even if there is some nominal charge? That would be great news!

What do the What Hifi team think? You've given these products 5* reviews without reservation even after all the complaints started. We customers have long memories :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Why would they?

The company is completely new with no financial connection to the old owner.

They only got permission to use the designs from the old owner and consulted him on some technical points. He is not part of the new enterprise.

Anyway this isn't news.

There was a big thread weeks ago.

chebby said:
Why would they?

The company is completely new with no financial connection to the old owner.

They only got permission to use the designs from the old owner and consulted him on some technical points. He is not part of the new enterprise.

Anyway this isn't news.

There was a big thread weeks ago.

I wonder how many other new posters are going to start yet another thread on this subject. WHF were wrong to get rid of the forum search function I feel.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
blugrass said:
What do the What Hifi team think? You've given these products 5* reviews without reservation even after all the complaints started. We customers have long memories

In the 5 years and 8 months that has elapsed since your one and only other post, what's changed is that the 'What HiFi team' as you call them do not post replies to any thread. So if you want an answer from them you'd be better off emailing them directly. But when the company folded, What HiFi made it very clear in the [updated] review that the speakers were no longer available. What did you want, a personal email?

blugrass said:
Arcaydis have been taken over and relaunched the EB1 and EB2 speakers after the previous owner got into trouble fulfilling orders. As a goodwill gesture are Arcaydis willing to fulfil the orders Richard Allen was paid for but didn't deliver? Even if there is some nominal charge? That would be great news!

What do the What Hifi team think? You've given these products 5* reviews without reservation even after all the complaints started. We customers have long memories :)

Long memories maybe but you don't seem to comprehend how the five star rating works. They rate a product that is sent for evaluation. Availability doesn't enter into it.

The product was rated as five stars correctly. Whether you could actually purchase a pair changes nothing.

rszemeti

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
So, an update from us here at Arcaydis, we always knew this would be a huge hill to climb, but we will climb it, one step at a time.

As someone noted above "Why would they?" ... legally, you are right, but as others have noted, people have long memories and we want to "do the right thing". Now as a start-up, we cannot simply give away all our stock, that would be financial suicide, and the gateway to another disasater, but we did plan to address this problem and have made some provision. I can feel my accountant preparing one of his "oh good grief" looks already ...

Here is what we have decided to do:

Firstly: anyone who paid a 10% deposit to Mr Allen, and did not receive speakers, we will honour those deposits in full if they wish to go ahead and order. Sadly, we cannot offer refunds of those deposits.

Secondly: the big problem is we do not have an accurate list of who is owed a set of speakers, we simply do not know the full extent of the problem ... we believe Mr Allen cleared up some of the outstanding, maybe others he did not. We've located one guy in Eastern Europe, however we expect there are others. We are asking that anyone with an outstanding claim email us at enquiries@arcaydis.com and we will assemble a list and verify your details. When we know the size of the problem, then we can work out what we can do to address it. Obviously it has to be something that is viable for us, and we do not have a bottomless pit of money to do this, but we will try and "do the right thing". This is not an open ended process, we are leaving the list open until the 30th of April 2017, at which point we will contact people with a proposal, the exact nature of which will based on available funds to clear this up and the number of outstanding items.

We hope people will think that is a fair proposal, and for the avoidance of doubt, we do stress this is a gesture of goodwill and we cannot accept legal responsibility for the steaming mess left behind by the previous encumbent.

Our core principle is simple, we stock what we sell and we sell what we stock. No deposits, no pre-payments, no "pay now and I'll start to make them" ... we have stock available, it can go out same day. If it is not in stock, you can't order it. Simple.

Any questions, just email us or call the number on the site, always happy to talk.

lastly, if anyone has a link to the "big thread from a few weeks ago" send me a link please, I can't find it! They REALLY DO need a search function!

rszemeti said:
So, an update from us here at Arcaydis, we always knew this would be a huge hill to climb, but we will climb it, one step at a time.

As someone noted above "Why would they?" ... legally, you are right, but as others have noted, people have long memories and we want to "do the right thing". Now as a start-up, we cannot simply give away all our stock, that would be financial suicide, and the gateway to another disasater, but we did plan to address this problem and have made some provision. I can feel my accountant preparing one of his "oh good grief" looks already ...

Here is what we have decided to do:

Firstly: anyone who paid a 10% deposit to Mr Allen, and did not receive speakers, we will honour those deposits in full if they wish to go ahead and order. Sadly, we cannot offer refunds of those deposits.

Secondly: the big problem is we do not have an accurate list of who is owed a set of speakers, we simply do not know the full extent of the problem ... we believe Mr Allen cleared up some of the outstanding, maybe others he did not. We've located one guy in Eastern Europe, however we expect there are others. We are asking that anyone with an outstanding claim email us at enquiries@arcaydis.com and we will assemble a list and verify your details. When we know the size of the problem, then we can work out what we can do to address it. Obviously it has to be something that is viable for us, and we do not have a bottomless pit of money to do this, but we will try and "do the right thing". This is not an open ended process, we are leaving the list open until the 30th of April 2017, at which point we will contact people with a proposal, the exact nature of which will based on available funds to clear this up and the number of outstanding items.

We hope people will think that is a fair proposal, and for the avoidance of doubt, we do stress this is a gesture of goodwill and we cannot accept legal responsibility for the steaming mess left behind by the previous encumbent.

Our core principle is simple, we stock what we sell and we sell what we stock. No deposits, no pre-payments, no "pay now and I'll start to make them" ... we have stock available, it can go out same day. If it is not in stock, you can't order it. Simple.

Any questions, just email us or call the number on the site, always happy to talk.

lastly, if anyone has a link to the "big thread from a few weeks ago" send me a link please, I can't find it! They REALLY DO need a search function!

Can I just say, as someone who did receive his EB2 speakers, that this is a brave and bold move on your part. Very considerate in my opinion. I hope it improves your turnover immensely.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
rszemeti said:

I hope people will not twist it into being an 'admission' of blame or responsibility for a situation you did nothing to create. It's a very generous thing you are doing nonetheless. (Although I do sympathise with your accountant!)

Wasn't there some other legendary brand/model you could have ressurrected with no 'baggage' left behind it? (Or at least forgotten baggage.)

As an unrelated thing, are you using Timberworx in Sheffield? Do they (or Spendor of course) have any stake other than as a supplier?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
avole said:
drummerman said:
On the other hand I can't see how a small firm making conventional speakers can survive these days.

Hope I'm wrong!
Do you mean wifi or bluetooth enabled ? If so I agree. 

Do you know what, I didn't even bother to look at their Web site.

Apologies to Arcaydis and I take my previous comment back.

rszemeti

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
So, there possibly there were other brands we could have resurrected, however, most other brands died for being outdated or poor performance, Arcaydis was somewhat unique in having excellent products, but a poor management.

Timberworx? Yes, they do make our cabs, and no, we are the sole owners, neither Spendor nor anyone else has a stake.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
rszemeti said:
So, there possibly there were other brands we could have resurrected, however, most other brands died for being outdated or poor performance, Arcaydis was somewhat unique in having excellent products, but a poor management.

Timberworx? Yes, they do make our cabs, and no, we are the sole owners, neither Spendor nor anyone else has a stake.

Thanks.

rszemeti said:

But Timberworx is owned by Spendor, yes? The Timberworx website says:-

In July 2014, Timberworx was incorporated into Spendor Audio Systems Ltd, itself a high quality loudspeaker manufacturer, designing and manufacturing all it's loudspeakers and drive units in it's UK factory in Hailsham, Sussex. To continue it's drive to ensure the design and manufacturing skills stay in the UK, Spendor acquired Timberworx to form part of the strong UK manufacturing base for it's products.

You are saying that Spendor don't have a stake in your company?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
rszemeti said:

In July 2014, Timberworx was incorporated into Spendor Audio Systems Ltd, itself a high quality loudspeaker manufacturer, designing and manufacturing all it's loudspeakers and drive units in it's UK factory in Hailsham, Sussex. To continue it's drive to ensure the design and manufacturing skills stay in the UK, Spendor acquired Timberworx to form part of the strong UK manufacturing base for it's products.

They are a supplier as they are (or were) to AVI, Rega and Spendor too (back when they were a division of REL).

I only asked about a possible 'deeper' relationship because the new Arcaydis and Timberworx are both Sheffield based companies.

chebby said:
nopiano said:
rszemeti said:

They are a supplier as they are (or were) to AVI, Rega and Spendor too (back when they were a division of REL).

I only asked about a possible 'deeper' relationship because the new Arcaydis and Timberworx are both Sheffield based companies.
Hi chebby, yes I understood your question completely. I thought the reply suggested something else, which I was trying to clarify. That's all. :)

rszemeti

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
As I said, we are the sole owners, neither Spendor nor anyone else has a stake.

Timberworx are merely a supplier, we pay them money, they make things, thats all. I have to say they make VERY nice things, and commercial confidentiality prevents me from saying what else we saw being made there, but, a lot of very high end cabinets come out of that factory for all sorts of people. Their veneer work is stunning.

Yes, we are now based in Sheffiled, if you want to pop down, do drop us an email, or call in at Audio Images in Sheffield, who have the EB1 and EB2 available for demo.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Will you be able to offer repairs and driver replacements for me and people like me going forwards? Nothing wrong with mine at the moment, but I have often wondered what I would do if my little boy decide to stick his fingers through one... Apart from taking away all of his toys for a year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts