Broken Cambridge Audio

newaudio

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
hi all,

My name is Eamonn and i am writing from Ireland about faulty Cambridge Audio equipment.... AGAIN!

Myself and my Dad both bought 3 and a half years ago in Richer Sounds Belfast. Dad got the (CA=Cambridge Audio) CA640a, CA 640, Azur Connections and Monitor Audio RS8s, I bought the CA740a, CA740c, CA640t, CA540p all CA connections and again a set of Monitor Audio RS8s.

1 year into my purchase the CD player failed to pick up the disc and at had to be returned for repair... which was upgraded to full replacment. OK I thought... these things happen. Player replaced...eventually! Move on.

So 4 weeks ago Dads Amp went on the blink with a local repair shop looking at it to discover the transformer was blown. Now Dad is in his late 60s and not that deaf yet so as to be driving the amp to the point of busting! The chap who looked in at it mentioned the points and fuses etc were in excellant condition (not blackened) and was surprised that a major component... said transformer was blown!

He contacted Richer Sounds Belfast and was quoted 200 sterling for replacment of the transformer BUT they suggested contacting Cambridge Audio directly and ask if a goodwill gesture would be forthcoming... especially after being loyal customers and sticking exclusively to Cambridge units. So 4 weeks and 5 emails later between myself and Ed Selley nobody wants to help. Mr Selley keeps refering me back to Richer Sounds.... Richer Sounds refer me back to Cambridge Audio!

Maybe I am being niave... does a major component such as a transformer have more than 3 and a half years of light use in them? Should a company such as Cambridge Audio give a goodwill geasture who along with Richer Sounds are supposed to have EXCELLENT customer care and service?

Ed Selley gave no help and did not accept any responsibility for the fact that AGAIN another major fault has occurred with the product that he is representing as point of customer care.

In conclusion.... I nor any of my family will ever buy Cambrigde Audio again.

The customer services at Richer Sounds are deplorable with repeated phone calls ignored and even trying to get the shop to ANSWER the phone is a task in its self.

With Cambridge Audio, there was nothing wrong with the cash we handed over on the day we bought, I expected a little come back for the faulty defective goods we were sold, a life of 3 and a half years in my opinion is just not enough!

Everybody who is going to purchase.... do your research! Dont be left after 3 years with just a black broken box!

Regards all,

Eamonn

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I do see your point. You're right to expect the life-expectancy of a piece of HiFi to be longer than three and a half years before a major component blows. But I fear that your only hope is to plea directly with Cambridge Audio and hope that they're feeling philanthropic enough to help you in the interest of good customer service, because I suspect three and a half years is too long to rely on the Sale of Goods Act to help your cause.

Speaking of that repair-bill though, £200 is a bit strong to replace a transformer imo...if you get nowhere with Cambridge Audio, try a few repairers and get that price down a bit. Transformers are not very expensive parts and replacing one is not a hugely labour-intensive task either. Half an hour at most.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
OK your contract is with the retailer not manufacturer, so Richer Sounds are the one to deal with, however after 1 year it is up to you prove that the item is faulty, not always easy. In UK you have upto 6 years I believe to claim. To be hoest after 3.5 years I think you maybe wasting your time and I would think about changing brands, Ive had my Arcam amp. for over 18 years without a problem, same with Marantz cd player although the tray maybe need some attention soon.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
This reply probably isn't much help as such but on reading this I felt I had to chip in :)

Transformers rarely fail (make that very very very rarely) and those that do usually have good reason due to overheating caused by failed components within the amplifier.

Alarm bells ring at the description of the fault as told to you... "fuses and points were in excellent condition and not blackened". If (if !!! and its a big if) the transformer is faulty then it will either have failed "open circuit" due to a failed inbuilt thermal fuse (which assumes it has one, and if so then they are not replaceable) or else shorted turns which would zap the external fuses (and which is almost unheard of anyway). I wouldn't like to guess what was meant by "points". The condition of fuses can not be determined conclusively by visual inspection alone. Many can have the wire "part company" with the fuse end caps. The fuse appears 100% perfect in that case. If the transformers faulty an engineer would just say the transformers failed open circuit.

If the amp is anything other than 100% dead (and dead also means no internal hum however faint) then its something other than the tranny. And if it is 100% dead... I'd still want to be sure :)

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Although it doesn't help you at this point in time, if you shop at Richer Sounds it's a good idea to buy their extended warranties on purchase. They cost only 10% of the price, last 5 years, and you get your money back if you don't claim during the 5 years. Although others might feel it shouldn't be so, alot of modern technology, of all brands, just isn't reliable. Over recent years I have had a marantz cd player replaced and a samsung tv part exchanged using the richer sounds 5 year warranty system. In terms of Cambridge, a few years back I had a cambridge tuner conk out after 4 years, and more recently a cambridge amplifier was faulty from new, and I exchanged it for a marantz amplifier straight away. I think Richer Sounds are rather keen to sell their "own brand" cambridge gear, and I currently have a policy of being resistant to this. That being said, I like buying things at Richer Sounds because of the warranties and, in my experience, very helpful staff.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Eamonn,

I was obviously sorry to read of the problems you and your father have been having with your Cambridge Audio amplifier and offer my apologies.

I've spoken to my Belfast branch team regarding this and unfortunately can find no record of you speaking with them directly or of a £200 cost being quoted for the parts that are required here, although I am aware of some correspondence between your sponsored repair agent and the Belfast team via email. From this I understand that we've previously offered to supply the part to them for the cost of £50 and that their total repair charge, including labour, is 160 euro.

Due to the age of the product, purchased over four years ago in 2008, we would need to inspect the unit initially before agreeing any repair costs or goodwill gestures, therefore if arrangements can be made to do this as soon as possible we'll hopefully be able to resolve this to your satisfaction. If you could please e-mail your contact details including phone number to my personal address which is john.p.clayton@richersounds.com

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

wayne boyd

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm new here and sorry for any spelling mistakes.

I have come across the cambridge amps many times with transformer failures. I have worked in electronics for 21 years and have to say mended a few of these.

The problem is the pre-amp and main power amp windings are in the same package of the transformer and the preamp rails operate a relay for the main power-amp windings causing a surge and the insulation in the windings to fail.

To fix this i have removed the transformer and fitted 1 small transformer 17-0-17 centre tap. 2nd transformer for the power amp 21 to 29v ac centre tap, i have also used the fuse bank and relay for the standbye circuite as oringinaly it was and have photos and video to show how easy these are to fix.

Just make sure you can fit the transformers, main power-amp aleast 2.5amps to 5amps centre tap, pre transformer approx 1amp centre tap and doesnt need to be that big, i did try using 1 transformer for bolth but found there was a slight hum in the pre stage and by seperating the transformers for indervidual jobs there is no hum or any distortion.

wayne boyd said:
I'm new here and sorry for any spelling mistakes.

I have come across the cambridge amps many times with transformer failures. I have worked in electronics for 21 years and have to say mended a few of these.

The problem is the pre-amp and main power amp windings are in the same package of the transformer and the preamp rails operate a relay for the main power-amp windings causing a surge and the insulation in the windings to fail.

To fix this i have removed the transformer and fitted 1 small transformer 17-0-17 centre tap. 2nd transformer for the power amp 21 to 29v ac centre tap, i have also used the fuse bank and relay for the standbye circuite as oringinaly it was and have photos and video to show how easy these are to fix.

Just make sure you can fit the transformers, main power-amp aleast 2.5amps to 5amps centre tap, pre transformer approx 1amp centre tap and doesnt need to be that big, i did try using 1 transformer for bolth but found there was a slight hum in the pre stage and by seperating the transformers for indervidual jobs there is no hum or any distortion.

He's probably got a new one by now, this thread is three years old!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts