Phono Amps

Carpinus

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
Hello! I have a Project PhonoBox MM which I’m thinking of upgrading. Does anyone know how I can audition both a Cambridge Audio Duo AND a Rega Fono MM Mk5? Am I right in thinking that Richer Sounds is the sole dealer for Cambridge Audio, and doesn’t stock Rega? Thanks.

Hello! I have a Project PhonoBox MM which I’m thinking of upgrading. Does anyone know how I can audition both a Cambridge Audio Duo AND a Rega Fono MM Mk5? Am I right in thinking that Richer Sounds is the sole dealer for Cambridge Audio, and doesn’t stock Rega? Thanks.
They certainly are the main, and possibly sole, dealer when it comes to Cambridge gear.
Can I ask why you want to upgrade, or sorts, the phono preamp you already own?
Depending on whatever you currently own a cartridge upgrade will bring more immediate improvement.

Reactions: Carpinus

Carpinus

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
I’ve got a 2017 Rega Planar Record Store Day turntable - essentially a Planar 1 and RP3 hybrid. Rega carbon cartridge I think. Sending through to a Denon DM3 system. I reckon I’ll be in the market for an amp upgrade next year, but passing the phono amp on to a friend who needs one, and using the excuse to upgrade that!

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Have you considered Graham Slee?
I've used his products before and always found they punched well above their weight.
They used to do home demos.
Worth a try?

Carpinus

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
Have you considered Graham Slee?
I've used his products before and always found they punched well above their weight.
They used to do home demos.
Worth a try?

I’ll check it out! Thanks!

Reactions: Clarkey_71

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I believe the Linn approach in Source first, so in that respect, upgrade your cartridge first.

Others may not believe that philosophy and that’s fine also. Each to their own.

DG…

Hisold

Nov 11, 2023
Visit site
if you wanna check out the Cambridge Audio Duo and Rega Fono MM Mk5, seems like Richer Sounds has Cambridge but not Rega. You might need to hit up a different spot for the Rega, maybe a specialized audio shop could help

daytona600

Thank you. To clarify, are you suggesting upgrading the cartridge instead to an Ortofon 2M Red?
( 2MR ) reduced height range for rega

Ortofon 2MR features a specially designed cartridge housing tailored for Rega turntables and tonearms matching their requirement for low-form factor cartridges. With its narrow 14mm Deep cartridge housing, it seamlessly integrates without a need for modifications or spacers under the tonearm, enabling quick and easy mounting with just two screws

VTA - WHY DOES IT MATTER?

The Vertical Tracking Angle (VTA) is the angle between the pivot-point of a cartridge's cantilever and where the diamond touches the record groove. Ortofon cartridges are constructed so that the cantilever angle corresponds to the 20º record cutting angle, when the cartridge is loaded with recommended tracking force and the cartridge base is parallel with the tonearm, which in turn is parallel to the record surface. As a result of this design, if your cartridge is ever mounted on a tonearm where it must lean even slightly backward compared to the record surface, the VTA will not be correct and you will lose important musical details.

14mm The existing 2M range is well suited to many tonearms in the modern market, and is perfectly at home on tonearms with adjustable VTA. However, there are many tonearms uch as Regas, where the VTA is not adjustable and the regular 2M cartridge height is too high. Similarly, there are instances where you may wish to modify your turntable with a thicker mat or platter upgrade and you need to compensate with reduced cartridge height.

i would go with audio technica or the goldring you suggested, I personally use the at vm540ml on my p3 and it sounds great.
I might agree.
All the cartridges suggested are various entry levels.
Unfortunately, until you go past these you don't know what you are missing.
I have always said playback of LPs cannot be justified on the cheap .
By that I mean you are never going to get the best from an LP without spending money.
I am amazed at those that have embraced the so called vinyl revival when committing so little money to actual playback.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts