Arcam power amp advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gryffe

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, here are amp connections and speaker connections. I am not sure I know where the terminal links are, I may have lost them. So if they are crucial to testing out the speakers with the M3Si I guess that could scupper things?

If you have no terminal links for the speakers, do your banana plug terminals allow one to slot into the back of the other? If so, do that with the amp end ones (making sure you DO NOT mix positive and negative - this would be very bad!) - connect other ends to both speaker terminals.

If not, you should be able to source some from MA or eBay, or possibly a hifi shop.

EDIT: How about these?

gryffe

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid you've lost me with the terminals allowing one slotting into the back of another.
If I can find the terminal links how do they solve anything? How would this solve the riddle of having 8 runs of cable and 4 speaker outputs? Sorry I've no idea what these terminal links do

If the speaker cables end in banana plugs (google for images), some allow one to plug into the back of another - if so, let us know. If not, use half the speaker cabling that you have, four out from amp and two into each speaker.

You seem to be saying that the four terminals on the back of each speaker don't have anything connecting them (jumper bars) - if they do then this is all you need do, but if not you'll need something to connect top and bottom terminals, making sure you keep +ve connected to +ve etc. The leads I show an eBay link for would do this job for you.

(Either that or you could have the plugs at the amp end removed and re-made with both cables connecting to a single banana plug, but that seems like a lot of work.)

Post some pictures if still unsure.

gryffe

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for replies. Are terminal leads the same as jumper bars? If so I'm still not clear what they do.

If I cant find the terminal leads/jumper bars, and therefore I can only use four runs of speaker cables from the amp, which would mean two runs of cable to each speaker, which two terminals out of the four on the back of each speaker would I use? eg top 2 or bottom 2, or doesnt it matter?

Sorry to be so thick, and thanks for help

It probably doesn't matter, though some might suggest it's worth a quick back-to-back to see if you hear a difference. Whichever one you choose, the leads on eBay have a flat spade at one end and a banana at the other. The flat spade will screw in under the speaker terminal that you are using and the other end goes into the unused speaker terminal, making sure it's the same side (it's important to make sure the ones on one side are +ve and on the other side -ve - that's how they've been on every speaker I've ever had, including present air which are also by MA). Repeat with the other side and you should be able to have a listen and see what you think.

EDIT: One of the pictures on the ebay ad shows banana plugs at both ends - that won't help you - but the others show spade at one end and banana at the other - which will. If you go down that route it'll be worth making sure.

Reactions: Al ears

gryffe

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I have found terminal leads, so sounds like I can attempt to just power the speakers from the M3Si only, missing out the P35.

So I know this is baby steps, but just to make sure I dont blow the speakers, or the M3Si can somebody confirm these steps are ok.

1) Connect terminal leads (jumpers?) to each speaker.

2)Only use 4 runs of speaker - 2 to each speaker.

3)Connect 1 length of speaker cable to "plus" output terminal on the RHS of M3Si and then connect to "plus" terminal on RHS speaker The 2nd length of cable to the "negative" output terminal on the RHS of M3Si, and then connect to "negative" terminal on RHS speaker. These are both for the HF terminals. Then do the same with LHS of amp and LHS speakers with the 3rd and 4th lengths of cable, these are both for the LF terminals

I am assuming the terminal leads (jumpers?) are brought into play to compensate for the fact that the LF terminals in RHS speaker are not being used, and the HF terminals are not being used in LHS speaker?

Again, sorry for being so thick, but I am just so used to always running speaker cables from 2 amps.

Last edited:

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
And does the back of your speakers look like this?
1589484685146.png
Assuming these are your speakers.
Yes 1) Connect the metal terminal jumpers - you should have two per speaker, each one connects the HF & LF - that's HF+ to LF+ and HF- to LF- (or red to red, and black to black)

Last edited:

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is what it looks like
On your amp.
The Left Red/+ Speaker Output terminal connects to the Red/+ terminal on your left speaker (does not matter whether you use the HF or LF terminal as they are connected together, but I would use the same to be consistent ie use the HF for all, or LF for all connections).
The Left Black/- Speaker Output terminal connects to the Black/- terminal on your left speaker.
Just repeat for the right hand speaker.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Well that is an absolute bummer. I have just opened the bag and there are only 3 metal terminal jumpers. I'm destined not to achieve this lol
The metal jumpers are simply connecting the terminals, many people use speaker cable as that is meant to sound better. Have you some spare speaker cable you could use, or any single piece of copper wire?

gryffe

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Dont have any spare speaker cable, but I have plenty of old analogue interconnects (eg amp to cd player) that I no longer use. Would copper wire from them do the trick and replace the missing metal jumper?

gryffe

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I know you will have been waiting with baited breath for the outcome. And I'm sure some may be seriously dismayed, but hey ho.

I bought the Arcam SA30 integrated amp and it arrived yesterday, and I am seriously happy with it. The detail is astonishing, crystal clear, and has that warmth that I love about Arcam.

I've been listening to lots of different stuff, but playing Underworld's King Of Snake was just breathtaking. For those that don't know it, it's basically a rip off of the Giorgio Morodor/Donna Summers song I Feel Love. The synths and pounding beats are a joy to hear, and the SA30 and the P35 power amp carry it off with ease.

Wilco's A Ghost is Born has me detecting sounds I wasn't aware were even on the recording.

I know it's a divisive subject, but I'm even hoping the performance might actually increase after some burn in time. Haven't tried the Arcam SA30 on it's own as just an integrated amp without the P35, but to be honest I don't really see how it can be better than what I'm hearing now, but no doubt curiosity will get the better of me one day.

Chuffed to bits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts