• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Arcam Diva A85 has no Personality, New Amp Needed!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
I was looking for a new amp when i bought my Arcam 192. Went down to sevenoaks to audition the Arcam A90, its partner amp and thought it was very nice. Then i tried the Rotel 1062 and it ust took my breath away. The clarity and precision was something i hadnt heard before and i bought it on the spot. They come up on e bay for around £350. The build is amazing.

MUSICRAFT

maxflinn:ra-1062 , with my rx6s ? hmmmmm...rubs chin ...

Hi maxflinn

One of my clients uses Silver RX6's with an RA-1062, Marantz CD17 KI MK2, VDH Integration Hybrid and generic speaker cable. He is very happy.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

kusum65:I was looking for a new amp when i bought my Arcam 192. Went down to sevenoaks to audition the Arcam A90, its partner amp and thought it was very nice. Then i tried the Rotel 1062 and it ust took my breath away. The clarity and precision was something i hadnt heard before and i bought it on the spot. They come up on e bay for around £350. The build is amazing.

Sounds promising :)

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
If you play vinyl the rotel also has a good phonostage unlike the Roksan Kandy i once owned.

plastic penguin

Apr 28, 2008
MUSICRAFT:APatel8:

They were suggested for my RS8's though?

Hi APatel8

The RA-1062 works well with the Silver RX6's too.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick

How does the RA 1520 compare?

A

Anonymous

Didn't realise the chord chameleon I listened to earlier was on of the more high-end interconnects! Brought out the detail and treble much better - just wasn't too over whelmed with the bass control. Is there anything better than this at a similar price, or less if possible :p - looking for something that produces a dymnamic

I think I've gone of the deep-end so will probably end up investing a couple of hundred extra quid in interconnects and speaker cabling if I really have to.

MUSICRAFT

APatel8:Interconnects:
Chord Crimson Plus Black Rhodium PreludeChord Cobra 3Van Den Hul's The Integration Hybrid
Speaker Cable:
Chord Carnival SilverscreenChord Odyssey 2QED Revelation Ok, so for cabling, narrowed down to the options above. Given requirements, can people help narrow down? I should be testing some chord odyssey with my current system soon. Also as I said, used the Chord Cameleon interconnect to test today and there was a big improvement - more detail and seperation at the top end, however it seemed to suffer from a bit of bass distortion (this could have been because of the speaker cabling however).

Hi APatel8

Interconnect - VDH Integration Hybrid - FWIW the Integration Hybrid has been my overall reference interconnect for ten years.

Speaker cable - generic cable - FWIW i use and mostly sell this speaker cable priced around £3/m. The next speaker cable i use/sell is at £100/m! I use this generic speaker cable with for eg. nearly 30k worth of Chord Electronics amplification, Monitor Audio Platinum 300AV speaker package etc. Ignore this speaker cable at your peril!

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT

maxflinn:APatel8:

strangely enough , im going to buy either an a32 or a85 , plus a power amp

ricks appraisal of the rotel is noted though , just in case

similar speakers so would probably match up well ...

Hi maxflinn

I would choose the RA-1062.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT

plastic penguin:MUSICRAFT:APatel8:

Hi APatel8

The RA-1062 works well with the Silver RX6's too.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick

How does the RA 1520 compare?

Hi plastic penguin

The RA-1520 is not as good as the RA-1062.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:APatel8:Interconnects:
Chord Crimson Plus Black Rhodium PreludeChord Cobra 3Van Den Hul's The Integration Hybrid
Speaker Cable:
Chord Carnival SilverscreenChord Odyssey 2QED Revelation Ok, so for cabling, narrowed down to the options above. Given requirements, can people help narrow down? I should be testing some chord odyssey with my current system soon. Also as I said, used the Chord Cameleon interconnect to test today and there was a big improvement - more detail and seperation at the top end, however it seemed to suffer from a bit of bass distortion (this could have been because of the speaker cabling however).

Hi APatel8

Interconnect - VDH Integration Hybrid - FWIW the Integration Hybrid has been my overall reference interconnect for ten years.

Speaker cable - generic cable - FWIW i use and mostly sell this speaker cable priced around £3/m. The next speaker cable i use/sell is at £100/m! I use this generic speaker cable with for eg. nearly 30k worth of Chord Electronics amplification, Monitor Audio Platinum 300AV speaker package etc. Ignore this speaker cable at your peril!

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

Interconnect is way out of my budget.. max I really want to spend is £80 at the moment. Will take the speaker cable advice into account though :)

A

Anonymous

It sounds like your system doesn't have the bass control with the Chameleon simply revealing this. That's why I suggested the cheaper Crimson Plus as it'll probably reveal the bass more pleasingly, ie less.

plastic penguin

Apr 28, 2008
igglebert:It sounds like your system doesn't have the bass control with the Chameleon simply revealing this. That's why I suggested the cheaper Crimson Plus as it'll probably reveal the bass more pleasingly, ie less.

I can personally recommend the the Merlin Chopin. Works a treat with budget Arcams and has the transparency to bring the languid Arcs alive.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:It sounds like your system doesn't have the bass control with the Chameleon simply revealing this. That's why I suggested the cheaper Crimson Plus as it'll probably reveal the bass more pleasingly, ie less.

Hmm at a 1/3 of the price, I'd be concerned that it would overall lack - guess it's worth a punt though!

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

I can personally recommend the the Merlin Chopin. Works a treat with budget Arcams and has the transparency to bring the languid Arcs alive.

Arcam is going up for sale soon :) - going to try and get a Rotel RA 1062.

A

Anonymous

I understand your view here but with these things it's about getting the overall presentation right. The Crimson was great and I understand that the plus is a decent step up. It might just do the trick. There's loads out there to try so see if your dealer will lend a few to experiment with. My mate and I found that our next preferred cable over the CSP is the Nordost Baldur but it's not cheap. I think he actually preferred a QED Qunex 2 over the CSP.

A

Anonymous

Alright guys,

Just thought I'd update this thread. Have managed to get a Chord Chameleon Silver Plus interconnect for £42 and have just got a Rotel RA-1062 amp for £270 to replace the Arcam and the shoddy interconnect I had (Silver High Breed Synergy 2 in fact). Hopefully it makes a difference to the sound.

Will eventually be replacing the speaker cable with Chord Odyssey 2 I think, but I think the amp/interconnect had to be changed first.

Thanks for the advice as always.

A

Anonymous

I did not like the Silver Anniversary, I bought it due to rave reviews.

I found thats the cable was too weak in the bass department, high frequencies emphasised too much for my liking.

Believe me the upgrade to the Chord Odyssey 2 will be a new lease of life for your system, all areas of music are more refined and seperated.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
APatel8:

tell you when I've got the kit :D

Well?

Rick, could you recommend another IC for use with an RA-1062/RS6 combo with similar properties to the VDH Integration Hybrid, but a little less expensive? I currently run Squeezebox 3 > Beresford Caiman > Chord Crimson > RA-1062 > 4mm Vandamme copper shotgun > RS6 & the sound can occasionally be a little harsh with old rock tracks.

A

Anonymous

I'm completely amazed. The Rotel RA-1062 sounds absolutely perfect! It's exactly what I wanted. The sound is more 'in your face' and the music has come to LIFE finally. At even very low volume the sound is brilliant, where as on the Arcam I had to keep pushing it higher to get some oomph. Very happy, and have ended up paying £50 less for this.

Also replaced the interconnect as I said earlier in the thread, now using chord chameleon silver plus.

I think I will also replaced my QED Silver Anniversary with Chord Odyssey 2 shortly!

MUSICRAFT

APatel8:
I'm completely amazed. The Rotel RA-1062 sounds absolutely perfect! It's exactly what I wanted. The sound is more 'in your face' and the music has come to LIFE finally. At even very low volume the sound is brilliant, where as on the Arcam I had to keep pushing it higher to get some oomph. Very happy, and have ended up paying £50 less for this.

Also replaced the interconnect as I said earlier in the thread, now using chord chameleon silver plus.

I think I will also replaced my QED Silver Anniversary with Chord Odyssey 2 shortly!

Hi APatel8

I am pleased to read that you are also happy with the the RA-1062. The A85 is ok however there is a rightness about the RA-1062 which imo the A85 just does not have. Hence why in the 92 demos i did of the A85 versus the RA-1062, 90 of my clients chose the RA-1062 regardless of associated components used and in the process saved themselves some money.

The RA-1062's balance is very well judged without tipping over the edge and becoming bright.

Btw, i will again suggest you consider using generic speaker cable as this will do the trick nicely with your RA-1062 and RS8 speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS