Arcam Diva A85 has no Personality, New Amp Needed!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

What about the Rega Brio or Mira? Both seem a bit underrated, but both are good with detail, soundstage and aren't harsh. Their bass is drier than NAD, but they score well otherwise. Heard one driving a pair if Dynaudio Countours the other day, and it was impressive.

T

the record spot

god knows why NAD would be the only choice. Try the Audiolab 8000S & bi-amp later when funds allow with the 8000P power amp, failing that, if pushed for budget, try the Harman Kardon HK980 amp. Punchy little performer by all accounts and plenty under the lid at 80wpc.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:god knows why NAD would be the only choice.And He hath spoken
emotion-1.gif
Actually I don't think PP meant it like that, more that he hadn't heard many NADs. Audiolab is another good pick.

the record spot:god knows why NAD would be the only choice. Try the Audiolab 8000S & bi-amp later when funds allow with the 8000P power amp, failing that, if pushed for budget, try the Harman Kardon HK980 amp. Punchy little performer by all accounts and plenty under the lid at 80wpc.

As I said, RS, that was the only one that springs to mind. I haven't heard the Audiolabs since mid-90s, and others that would fit the bill, like Roksan Kandy MKIII, Exposure 2010 etc etc... are way beyond the OPs budget.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:god knows why NAD would be the only choice. Try the Audiolab 8000S & bi-amp later when funds allow with the 8000P power amp, failing that, if pushed for budget, try the Harman Kardon HK980 amp. Punchy little performer by all accounts and plenty under the lid at 80wpc.

Hi,

Got a few watches on eBay from the Audiolab mate. Will give it a try definitely. Is it suited to the type of music I use, and more importantly, would it be improvement on the Arcam? Again, not expecting miracles with the budget!

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh:
What about the Rega Brio or Mira? Both seem a bit underrated, but both are good with detail, soundstage and aren't harsh. Their bass is drier than NAD, but they score well otherwise. Heard one driving a pair if Dynaudio Countours the other day, and it was impressive.

I'll have a look into them - haven't heard of them before.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The NAD C352 or C355BEE integrated amps would be a sideways step in regards to 'upgrading' but they'll give you a more beefier soundf when it comes to your tastes in music and speakers.

As I said in my other post as well; changing your speaker cable to the likes of the Chord Odyssey 2 or the QED Revelation as well as a change of interconnect to the Black Rhodium Prelude or the Chord Cobra 3 will make a world of difference!

The QED Silver Anniversary is good cabloe but it's good, entry level speaker cable whereas your system requires better. Plus the above cables are copper whereas the QED Silver Anniversary is silver; hence its brightness!

A

Anonymous

In terms of power, the Audiolab 800s is 60 watts per channel as opposed to 85 per channel with the Arcam I currently have - how significant is this? I know I need an amp with a bit of welly to drive the RS8's...

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:The NAD C352 or C355BEE integrated amps would be a sideways step in regards to 'upgrading' but they'll give you a more beefier soundf when it comes to your tastes in music and speakers.As I said in my other post as well; changing your speaker cable to the likes of the Chord Odyssey 2 or the QED Revelation as well as a change of interconnect to the Black Rhodium Prelude or the Chord Cobra 3 will make a world of difference!The QED Silver Anniversary is good cabloe but it's good, entry level speaker cable whereas your system requires better. Plus the above cables are copper whereas the QED Silver Anniversary is silver; hence its brightness!

Hi, I have ordered some Chord Odyssey 2 so will be testing that out!

APatel8:

Hi,

Got a few watches on eBay from the Audiolab mate. Will give it a try definitely. Is it suited to the type of music I use, and more importantly, would it be improvement on the Arcam? Again, not expecting miracles with the budget!

I would say unlikely. It may, however, be slightly better with the style of music you like. From what I can remember (or the feeling I was left with is that sounded too clinical). If that's the case, it probably won't be a good match, synergy-wise, with your RS8s. A far better match would be either the Kandy MKIII (£350 approx) or the Kandy LIII (£400-£450). The LIII matched well with my RS6s, and with 120 watts of power will control those huge RS8 better too.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:APatel8:plastic penguin:

APatel8:The first thing I'm going to do is replace the amp. So any further suggestions on this will help.

The only one that springs to mind that'll suit your speakers is Nad. There are a couple of 352s on fleebay. It won't be better than the A85 but maybe better suited to the music you like.

Hi mate,

Thanks. I realise the amp I currently have is very good for the price I got it at, but something that will suit my music tastes better will automatically be better. Are there any Nad models that you recommend, or should I just look at integrated ones? Ta

The only one is the 352. Not heard any others apart from ones used in a showrooms. Haven't taken any notice, but maybe someone like d_a_n 1979, Maxflinn, Matthewpiano can the fill the breach.

i think its a bit early in my hifi career to be giving advice pp
emotion-5.gif

however , i would have thought the nad c355bee at 80 watts and only £249.99 at richer sounds may be worth a punt ?? highly rated , good synergy with MA , plenty of bass by all accounts but better seperation than the c326bee , which i liked , but found a little overpowering personally ..

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:APatel8:

Hi,

I would say unlikely. It may, however, be slightly better with the style of music you like. From what I can remember (or the feeling I was left with is that sounded too clinical). If that's the case, it probably won't be a good match, synergy-wise, with your RS8s. A far better match would be either the Kandy MKIII (£350 approx) or the Kandy LIII (£400-£450). The LIII matched well with my RS6s, and with 120 watts of power will control those huge RS8 better too.

I could stretch to £350 probably. Will look at the Kandy MKIII. I remember searching for Rokson amps last year, and they were pretty hard to come by!

maxflinn:plastic penguin:APatel8:plastic penguin:

APatel8:The first thing I'm going to do is replace the amp. So any further suggestions on this will help.

The only one that springs to mind that'll suit your speakers is Nad. There are a couple of 352s on fleebay. It won't be better than the A85 but maybe better suited to the music you like.

Hi mate,

Thanks. I realise the amp I currently have is very good for the price I got it at, but something that will suit my music tastes better will automatically be better. Are there any Nad models that you recommend, or should I just look at integrated ones? Ta

The only one is the 352. Not heard any others apart from ones used in a showrooms. Haven't taken any notice, but maybe someone like d_a_n 1979, Maxflinn, Matthewpiano can the fill the breach.

i think its a bit early in my hifi career to be giving advice pp
emotion-5.gif

however , i would have thought the nad c355bee at 80 watts and only £249.99 at richer sounds may be worth a punt ?? highly rated , good synergy with MA , plenty of bass by all accounts but better seperation than the c326bee , which i liked , but found a little overpowering personally ..

Wrong! you've done it...
emotion-5.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
APatel8:plastic penguin:APatel8:

Hi,

I could stretch to £350 probably. Will look at the Kandy MKIII. I remember searching for Rokson amps last year, and they were pretty hard to come by!

Believe me; the NAD C355BEE would be hell of a better amp for your speakers and music tastes than the Audiolabs or Roksan Kandy LIII amps!

The RS8's need not just power but oomph behind them as well. The Audiolabs are good as is the Roksan but the NAD sound and power delivery is spot on for your requirements
emotion-1.gif

d_a_n1979:APatel8:plastic penguin:APatel8:

Hi,

Believe me; the NAD C355BEE would be hell of a better amp for your speakers and music tastes than the Audiolabs or Roksan Kandy LIII amps! The RS8's need not just power but oomph behind them as well. The Audiolabs are good as is the Roksan but the NAD sound and power delivery is spot on for your requirements
emotion-1.gif

I was referring to the Audiolab.

A quick question: given the comments by the OP, wouldn't a faster, leaner sounding amp be more appropriate with hip-hop etc? Maybe something like a Cyrus?

T

the record spot

Oooh, NAD fanboys are in town again!

Audiolab 8000S at 60w driving the tweeter and the 100w 8000P handling the bottom end? Not enough? Please...

The good thing for the OP is the budget is fine - even the new Cambridge Audio 650A is worth a look. Great reviews, good power, can add a power amp later on (as all of the aforementioned amps do including the Roksan). That's what will really make the speakers sing, more power, good current delivery, and plenty of it.

And of course, if you change your mind, the AU-717 will blow all of the above out the window...!

the record spot:Oooh, NAD fanboys are in town again! Audiolab 8000S at 60w driving the tweeter and the 100w 8000P handling the bottom end? Not enough? Please... The good thing for the OP is the budget is fine - even the new Cambridge Audio 650A is worth a look. Great reviews, good power, can add a power amp later on (as all of the aforementioned amps do including the Roksan). That's what will really make the speakers sing, more power, good current delivery, and plenty of it. And of course, if you change your mind, the AU-717 will blow all of the above out the window...!

Budget Cambridge amps with MAs? No no.

T

the record spot

Who's to say? Seriously. Until you've partnered it all up with the source and then ran it in, such absolutist style comments are worth nothing. No disrespect, but it's the whole "oh you can't partner this with that" rationale that gets hifi a bad name. It's rubbish. All you need is the third element in the chain to counteract whatever the other two have as the main characteristic. Easy.

Yes, it really is that simple. I had exactly the same issue with the CDP and speakers below. Now, you wouldn't realise there was a lack of bass in the system. Same applies across the board.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
RS... You are a prat... Sorry but stop calling the NAD fans.... Its a bit like you harping on about Sansui or HK gear all the time! Boring aint it!

For the OP's taste in music and speakers (and having owned the same gear before) the NAD amps would do a much better job than the Audiolabs!

I didnt say ANYWHERE that the Audiolabs arent up to running the speakers; its just that they DO NOT have the same synergy as NAD and Arcam do with M/A speakers!

the record spot:Who's to say? Seriously. Until you've partnered it all up with the source and then ran it in, such absolutist style comments are worth nothing. No disrespect, but it's the whole "oh you can't partner this with that" rationale that gets hifi a bad name. It's rubbish. All you need is the third element in the chain to counteract whatever the other two have as the main characteristic. Easy. Yes, it really is that simple. I had exactly the same issue with the CDP and speakers below. Now, you wouldn't realise there was a lack of bass in the system. Same applies across the board.

I've never said you can't partner one product with another, just to maximise the OPs chances of getting it right first off. he has limited funds, and given a friend has a budget Cambridge, I can say with confidence there are better amps out there, in terms of synergy, with MAs.

T

the record spot

d_a_n1979:RS... You are a prat... Sorry but stop calling the NAD fans.... Its a bit like you harping on about Sansui or HK gear all the time! Boring aint it!

For the OP's taste in music and speakers (and having owned the same gear before) the NAD amps would do a much better job than the Audiolabs!

I didnt say ANYWHERE that the Audiolabs arent up to running the speakers; its just that they DO NOT have the same synergy as NAD and Arcam do with M/A speakers!

That'd be in your opinion somewhere along the right? Yep? As far as you're concerned. What works for one doesn't work for others. And while I might recommend the products I do, it's usually to offer a counterbalance to the NAD fanboys and their ilk. Work it out mate, if all everyone recommends all of the time is the popular mass market stuff, then it's restricting choice and limiting possibilities. Sorry you can't handle that reality, but that's the way it is. When was the last time you heard NVA amps being recommended on here? And how often? Count 'em on the fingers of one hand.

You think I'm a prat? I'll wear that as a badge.

A

Anonymous

1979, as you know I'm a big NAD fan but, seeing the OPs taste I think, along with PP and RS (guessing from your recommendations, RS) something faster and leaner might be better. NAD isn't the answer to everything, you know.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin:

I've never said you can't partner one product with another, just to maximise the OPs chances of getting it right first off. he has limited funds, and given a friend has a budget Cambridge, I can say with confidence there are better amps out there, in terms of synergy, with MAs.

Apologies if my earlier post came across as temperamental; not my intention, but I do feel strongly about breaking down conventions and perceived rules with this hobby.

I'm delighted people enjoy it as a hobby, not that that counts for much.

The 650A has enjoyed some superb reviews, not least as one of the Systems of the Year in Hi Fi+. You can add a power amp to it and suddenly it's not exactly a poor amp. It never was and it's really only in the UK that Cambridge have this "budget" brand rep.

Again, my point is that the synergy thing only comes in when the source is included also. If that counteracts the character of the other amp and speakers, then it's job done if the OP likes it. If not, it's move on and try something else.

Personally, I'd recommend the HK990 CDP when funds allow, terrific disc-spinner, pretty warm and good bassy sound. Shares much of the technology of the CA 840C's build too, balanced XLR inputs, etc.

Plus, it'll cheese our Dan off again.

(
emotion-5.gif
)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
RS I'm stamping the badge out for you as we speak...
emotion-5.gif
emotion-4.gif

Apologies... Been one of them days...

I do agree that an agile amp would be good but I really dont think the likes of a Cyrus 8vs2 (within the OPs budget) would drive the RS8s to their fullest

A

Anonymous

the record spot: if all everyone recommends all of the time is the popular mass market stuff, then it's restricting choice and limiting possibilities. Sorry you can't handle that reality, but that's the way it is. When was the last time you heard NVA amps being recommended on here? And how often? Count 'em on the fingers of one hand.

I've several NVA amps ;-)

But I'm not the type to really recommend stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts