Arcam CD192 with NAD 355 amp or Roksan Kandy k2 amp

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It'd be handy to know what music you generally listen to as well?

IMO the Arcam CD192 will do very well with both amps but it does depend on your speakers as well.

Both amps are fair powerhouses and have a good synergy with decent Arcam CDP's.

The K2 will be a little leaner in the bass dept compared to the NAD but the Arcam will fit in well with both as it's bass is articulate and agile.

T

the record spot

I reckon if you look at a £900 player as is the 192, you need to be looking at a higher quality amp than is the NAD at that level. It's probably deserving of a higher quality source. Maybe see if you can put it alongside one of the M-series NAD amps, or the C375 (or earlier C372). Good though a £400 amp is, the player demands better IMO.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:I reckon if you look at a £900 player as is the 192, you need to be looking at a higher quality amp than is the NAD at that level. It's probably deserving of a higher quality source. Maybe see if you can put it alongside one of the M-series NAD amps, or the C375 (or earlier C372). Good though a £400 amp is, the player demands better IMO.

Not necessarly true RS

Have you heard the NAD C355BEE with more expensive CDP's? In saying that; have you heard the K2 against the NAD and again the K2 with expensive CDP's?

The NAD does compete well withy electronics close to £1k and slightly above.

I didnt think it would but it did when I heard it against the likes of the K2 and Yamaha AS2000. It even did very well against the likes of the Cyrus 6XP and the Primare gear as well (but I must admit the Primare sound isnt for me full stop)

T

the record spot

My 217 works well with the 752s, sounds excellent in fact. The 217 was a budget amp in its day and the 752s were £500. The speakers work better with the 717.

Likewise, for the CDP - there's more of everything. I'm not knocking the 355, but there's limits to how many things it can be compared favourably to and likewise how many things it will work well with.

While it may sound "good", that's not to say that it will outpace the K2, a 375, an Exposure 3010, something from the lower end of the Pathos range, Eastern Electric's Minimax and so on and so forth.

Like I said, my Sansui 217 sounds good and can punch above its weight, but it matters not my not having heard it - by the time you've compared one amp, or source, or speakers against any other number of bits of equipment, any opinion or review is almost irrelevant against what your own ears tell you.

Yes it can compare well, but - and it might be that you need to have a significant outlay to improve on it - that doesn't mean "outperforms". It just means that £250 from Richer Sounds gets you good performance, terrific VFM and not necessarily an amp that betters one at £1k.

All really depends on what the prospective buyer wants, but I'd be comparing it for price alone - £750 saving for 80% of the performance opens the door to a NAD power amp or bridged option which would be a worthwhile consideration as well.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Temasek:Arcam CD192 with NAD 355 amp or Roksan Kandy k2 amp?

NAD 355 vs Kandy K2?

This is like Professor Stephen Hawking (with a flat battery) Vs Iron Mike Tyson (In his prime).

NAD's are great for the price, but come on. I have owned NAD's ,340/350/370 and they don't come close to the Kandy K2.

Not even close!

A

Anonymous

I have to admit, if you like what it does, the K2 is a superb amp. I heard it matched with the top-end limited edition Marantz KI SACD (OK, £2.5k of CDP) and the Spendor A6s. The result was very good. It's not as forward sounding as the earlier Kandy amp and is capable of a very transparent soundstage. It's not a bass machine but what it delivers it does so with good timing and balance. I was almost expecting to hear something like my old Rotel RA03 but it was much, much clearer!

d_a_n1979:the record spot:I reckon if you look at a £900 player as is the 192, you need to be looking at a higher quality amp than is the NAD at that level. It's probably deserving of a higher quality source. Maybe see if you can put it alongside one of the M-series NAD amps, or the C375 (or earlier C372). Good though a £400 amp is, the player demands better IMO. Not necessarly true RS Have you heard the NAD C355BEE with more expensive CDP's? In saying that; have you heard the K2 against the NAD and again the K2 with expensive CDP's? The NAD does compete well withy electronics close to £1k and slightly above. I didnt think it would but it did when I heard it against the likes of the K2 and Yamaha AS2000. It even did very well against the likes of the Cyrus 6XP and the Primare gear as well (but I must admit the Primare sound isnt for me full stop)

emotion-16.gif

A

Anonymous

The arcam 192 is a great cd player, but can be partnered with some expensive amps. Out of the 2, would go for the kandy, but as you proberly will not find a home demo of the arcam, it may be hit and miss just buying the amp.

Saying that though, it should sound very good indeed, as both are high level kit.

microbiologycory said:
Anyone know how the Creek Evo 2 stands with these? Im pairing this with MA BX6 and its very detailed and clean but a little lean in upper mids. Thx.

Excellent amp. I had the Evo2 on home dem with my MA RS6s. Fantasic match. The Creek doesn't have the bass depth of the Nad (not many amps do TBH), but IMO offers greater insight and bass definition. Evo2 is one of my fav sub-£1000 integrated amps.

SteveR750

SonofSun said:
Temasek:Arcam CD192 with NAD 355 amp or Roksan Kandy k2 amp?

NAD 355 vs Kandy K2?

This is like Professor Stephen Hawking (with a flat battery) Vs Iron Mike Tyson (In his prime).

NAD's are great for the price, but come on. I have owned NAD's ,340/350/370 and they don't come close to the Kandy K2.

Not even close!

+1 I've owned both (C352), and the K2 is in another league. NAD's are great at the price, but it's just a good budget amp. It's a ponderous beast compared to the Roksan.

Don't mistake clarity for leanness...

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a NAD C355 and Cyrus 8.
The NAD is one of the best amps at its price for soundstage, to deliver the transparency and depth of classical orchestral music. It doent make the music into a detailed, bright and pop music sound.
There are layers of instruments.
It would be a good idea to replace the pre-amp jumpers to a decent pair for greater soundstage.

It is not the best however, and I suspect the NAD C375BEE is a class above.
A good review on teh stereophile website. Their revews are much much better then the garbage on 'what hifi'. Audiophile reviews, but sadly not enough affordable equipment.

I dit try out Roksan Kandy K2 amp with the audiolab. I cant remember much about it, although it sounded musically alive in comparison to audiolab 8200a.
I cant remember any classical music testing on it. Thats the real test, all other music is simplier to satisfy.

I suppose you need to demo more, and i have found that changing the pre-amp jumpers and hifi interconnects provides much improvement in sound.
Spend time running through rigorouss tests, isolating equipment and trying out new permuatations.

Ask dealers advicve, and state what sort of music you listen to, its very important to the amp that will suit you. Regards.

TRENDING THREADS