Arcam AVR400 Owners please

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Anyone got one ? Was hoping for some feedback.

I have a Sony da5400es av amp - brilliant in blu ray mode, slightly lacking in 2 channel.

Want one box, so no room for a 2 channel music amp and appreciate the Arcam is roughly as good as it gets.

Cant afford a 600 and the 500 is a mess.

Despite the marketing guy at Arcam telling us all otherwise (appreciated his responce though) - I have read widely that the 400 lacks some oomph (including the What Hi Fi review).

My Sony definitely does not lack oomph. Would it be a sideways step ?

The price is dropping but it's still flippin expensive.

Thoughts appreciated.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is almost impossible to answer, and will depend on who you ask......I haven't heard the AVR400, but I had an AVR350, which probably isn't a mile away. For my taste, I preferred it to anything around its price at the time, and would still rather have it for 2 channel than anything less than an AVR500/600.

At less money, there is the AVR360, but I haven't heard that either......the only sure way is to give it a listen, but I suspect if 2 channel is very important, it may be the way to go.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it's too subjective to call.

Cno

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Arcam will undoubtedly be more musical than the Sony, if you moved up again to an ex demo AVR500 or 600 then that gap widens considerably!

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Musically my AVR500 is very very good, if you can find an ex demo one or a s/h model that's had its firmware updated (which you could do yourself if necessary) then go for it

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
KeithT said:
Musically my AVR500 is very very good, if you can find an ex demo one or a s/h model that's had its firmware updated (which you could do yourself if necessary) then go for it

Thanks for replying KeithT.

I would love to just go for it on the 500 front but the reliability issues scare me to bits. With the latest firmwares are they really that reliable still ? Knowing my luck I would just end up with a duffer. Is yours truely working 100% ?

I have followed ALL the 500 threads - including your comments and I am still not convinced. I am not sure their are any ex-demo ones left out there anymore ? Peter Tyson were about the last ones I saw and they still had issues from owners.

I still really want an Arcam av amp though but do not have really deep pockets to stretch to the 600.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't appear to have any of the fan issues that some of the models from a year or so ago had, that appears to have been eradicated. It still has the odd glitch turninhg it on, but that doesn't affect its operating sound and Arcam have been helpful, both online and in a long phone call.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I would be very wary of buying a 500. As you have probably read I gave up with mine after the second one started playing up.

From what I have read the 400 is more reliable and sounds good. No as good as the 500 or 600. There are a few ex dem 600's out there at the moment but again they have had their issues which seem to be fixed with the 3D Hdmi board upgrade but that's £500.

I do know that Cno has been trouble free with his 600 though.

Have a look over on the Avforums ARCAM AVR 400 thread.

This is just my opinion based on owning 2 ARCAM AVR 500's and feed back from other owners that I know.

There are other makes that sound as good.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ric71 said:
I do know that Cno has been trouble free with his 600 though.

Ric, my amp is trouble free now (touch wood), but did have to go back for an upgrade to the power supply, as it would turn itself off, and then on again.

A

Anonymous

Hi, sorry but I do not recomend ARCAM product. I have issues with arcam support for more than half year. avr600 unit broke down now for fifth time but there is no efficient support. Two times it fails completely and there were several issues with no playing of specific area... This product is worst I ever had and thus disappointing. I would not recommend it to friends, absolutely not. I am selling it. I do really hope and wish you find better choice (OPPO...) which will work better. Thanks, Tom

A

Anonymous

Hi, my case is not allone... My frend Peter from Slovenia has same issues reported recently. Obviously Arcam has serious issues with quality and support now... RGDS, T

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts