Will I benefit - Sell Sony DA5400es to buy an Arcam avr400 ? Advice please

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
As per the title really. Main priority being to stay with a one box solution and get the best 2 channel sound possible from an av amp. Obviously know all about the Arcam's gremlins but pretty sure the 400 is a big improvement reliability wise than the 600 or 500. But still not prone from faults. Love my Sony for movies - cant fault it really but its getting old and I have been threatening (to myself) to change it for years now. I can't turn up the volume on the Sony too much due to living in a terraced house and having two young boys (although I tend to play Blu Rays around -18db which is plenty loud for me). And I guess this is my biggest fear that the Arcam won't have as much grunt. Front and centre speakers are PMC GB1 & PMC DB1 Centre. Finally, would sell my amp on ebay and definitely buy the Arcam 2nd hand (which is how I bought the Sony). Your thoughts please.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
psurquhart said:
Anyone care to comment ?

keep sony iv got avr400 which did break but arcam gave me a new one.i love it but i think the sony still got some life in it yet:cheers:

Hi thanks for being the only one to reply !

Interesting that you think this.

I appreciate my Sony is still very good but surely it is no match for the Arcams 2 channel sound ? Which is one of the main reasons I was thinking of purchasing it.

Out of curiosity, what went wrong with yours ?

Was hoping that someone from What Hi Fi would give me some input ?

You guys know my amp extremely well and also have done a group test with the Arcam before (although not matched with my amp of course) - would love to know your thoughts. I am sure one of you could hopefully add to my request ?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
yes its better two channel than the sony but for how much money.my hdmi sound went and they couldnt fix it so gave me a new one.you get a 5 year guarantee with them which is great so if you do get one make shore you get the guarantee with it

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Please, please, have a nice Easter break please will someone from the What Hi Fi team have a look at this request ?

I only have one view and was hoping for your input (or anyones else) on my future mistake or good idea.

I cant find anyone local with an Arcam to demo and would feel guilty anyway as I wouldnt be buying new and therefore wasting their time.

I will then crawl back into my shell and leave you all alone.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts