Have I made mistake with Arcam 10 + 10p!!! Is it amps or speakers......can anyone save me and give me music to my ears please?!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Be aware though, these options are not the nice girl next door with whom you are going to spend the rest of your life, this is the girl at the bar with the short skirt and a little too much makeup who is ready to show you how to really rock and roll.

I'd say that the latter is most definitely what you want for the former. :grin:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
davedotco said:
Be aware though, these options are not the nice girl next door with whom you are going to spend the rest of your life, this is the girl at the bar with the short skirt and a little too much makeup who is ready to show you how to really rock and roll.

I'd say that the latter is most definitely what you want for the former. :grin:

Having spent much of my life in and around the music business I've always been into 'rock chicks', so much so that I have married 2 of them, though sadly not at the same time....

T

the record spot

davedotco said:
Do not rely on others to choose a system for you.

So we've gone from the above to recommending some JBL's. Aherm... :poke:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
davedotco said:

Advice that was preceded by the sentence,

"If you really find that difficult for one reason or another and feel you have to rely on the recommendations of others, here are a couple of off the wall suggestions."

I thought that was clear enough, if you are going to go on the recommendation of others (for whatever reason) it is worth looking at a wide range of options.

The JBLs are a fun option, if you want to play rock music in a decent size room with a degree of punch and presence and some bass weight (which, from his original post it appears that the OP does) then they are a viable option. They do not fit in with the usual recommendations on this forum which is why I made them.

A

Anonymous

davedotco said:
the record spot said:
davedotco said:

"If you really find that difficult for one reason or another and feel you have to rely on the recommendations of others, here are a couple of off the wall suggestions."

I thought that was clear enough, if you are going to go on the recommendation of others (for whatever reason) it is worth looking at a wide range of options.

The JBLs are a fun option, if you want to play rock music in a decent size room with a degree of punch and presence and some bass weight (which, from his original post it appears that the OP does) then they are a viable option. They do not fit in with the usual recommendations on this forum which is why I made them.

He's got you there :grin:

T

the record spot

andybeau said:

Not really Andy, I can read as well as anyone, it just seems that in four pages we get an about-face when I'd have thought that was off-message...amazing how easy it is to end up falling into that old trap of recommending something after all eh? :type: :)

T

the record spot

davedotco said:

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer. I'd have thought, if we're going down that route, scouting round foer a pair of Cerwin Vega would've been a worthwhile option. But if one wants scale, presence and dynamics not to mention a warranty, Q Acoustics 2050i would be a good fit too.

It really depends on what kind of sound the guy likes no? And as he's not really said that beyond he's trying out the Tannoys and some B&W 603S2s.

T

the record spot

davedotco said:
Quite right.

What someone in the OP's position really needs is practical hands on experience, doing your research on line is just another way of getting someone else to chose your system for you.

So the options are:-

1) Trudge round a bunch of dealers most of whom will sell similar product, demo across all of them and be none the wiser becuase it's all mediocre

2) Do one's homework beforehand, understand what they want, select from a good shortlist either by review or on the back of having done said homework and then go seek, quite possibly without the need of a dealer.

I'm rather surprised by some of this advice; having bought a bunch of stuff in recent years, I've found the dealer in most cases not to be the first point of contact, with the exception of the Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh who are sadly no longer a presence on the high street (but still going online) and in some cases, the weak link.

Why spend time traipsing round a bunch of unknown quantities when you can easily draft a shortlist up? Online sources give you user reviews, hifi journalists' reviews, tech specs off the manufacturers' websites. Of the products in my signature line below, I only heard the Tannoys up front, the rest I'd worked out for myself. This isn't difficult, so let's not call it something it's not.

Your advice around the Arcams was suspect too IMO. Plenty of folk rate them, the 10's 100wpc means it'll drive most speakers comfortably, the power amp can either be sold on or retained. You make it sound like they're rubbish but you sold them alongside what, Naim gear? Come on...be objective if nothing else.

And is there any chance you can drop the the namedropping of the "I've spent 20 years in the music business" schtick as if it's some kind of badge of authenticity? You'll get a lot more mileage out of your experience if you do.

The guys I know in the music business are as qualified as you, do it for a living and have worked for the biggest names in music - Barry Diament at Atlantic in its' heyday, Joe Gastwirt, Steve Hoffman and their ilk. They've got the pedigree but they don't flash the business card in your face when they're at it. They don't need to.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
andybeau said:

Not really Andy, I can read as well as anyone, it just seems that in four pages we get an about-face when I'd have thought that was off-message...amazing how easy it is to end up falling into that old trap of recommending something after all eh? :type: :)

Agree and he also kept recommending selling and starting again at the beginning tut tut

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

I know which I'd go for.......but I've got a very dodgy back! :shifty:

Is that from moving around that bl**dy amplifier of yours or from doing something rather more interesting?

It was carrying it up 2 flights of stairs to the bedroom every weekend that did for me.
evil.png

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
davedotco said:
Quite right.

What someone in the OP's position really needs is practical hands on experience, doing your research on line is just another way of getting someone else to chose your system for you.

So the options are:-

1) Trudge round a bunch of dealers most of whom will sell similar product, demo across all of them and be none the wiser becuase it's all mediocre

2) Do one's homework beforehand, understand what they want, select from a good shortlist either by review or on the back of having done said homework and then go seek, quite possibly without the need of a dealer.

I'm rather surprised by some of this advice; having bought a bunch of stuff in recent years, I've found the dealer in most cases not to be the first point of contact, with the exception of the Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh who are sadly no longer a presence on the high street (but still going online) and in some cases, the weak link.

Why spend time traipsing round a bunch of unknown quantities when you can easily draft a shortlist up? Online sources give you user reviews, hifi journalists' reviews, tech specs off the manufacturers' websites. Of the products in my signature line below, I only heard the Tannoys up front, the rest I'd worked out for myself. This isn't difficult, so let's not call it something it's not.

Your advice around the Arcams was suspect too IMO. Plenty of folk rate them, the 10's 100wpc means it'll drive most speakers comfortably, the power amp can either be sold on or retained. You make it sound like they're rubbish but you sold them alongside what, Naim gear? Come on...be objective if nothing else.

And is there any chance you can drop the the namedropping of the "I've spent 20 years in the music business" schtick as if it's some kind of badge of authenticity? You'll get a lot more mileage out of your experience if you do.

The guys I know in the music business are as qualified as you, do it for a living and have worked for the biggest names in music - Barry Diament at Atlantic in its' heyday, Joe Gastwirt, Steve Hoffman and their ilk. They've got the pedigree but they don't flash the business card in your face when they're at it. They don't need to.

Look, I really don't mind you disagreeing with me, it's quite entertaining really, but at least when you do disagree please make sure it is something that I actually said rather than what you wished I had said.

I never said that Arcam amps were suspect, in fact I said they were rather good but of a type, a type that I would class as rather relaxed sounding and not the best choice for someone looking to reproduce rock music with a little bit of punch and presence. The Castle speakers are, in very general terms, in a similar category, the result is the kind of sound described by the OP.

Adding a pair of Studio 580s to the integrated amp would give a very different sound, one that might be to the taste of the OP or then again maybe not. It would though be a very different option and one that you might not want to live with forever as I tried to make clear in my own way. It also has the benefit of being a relatively simple fix that is not too expensive if the power amp and speakers can be sold for a reasonable price.

As for drafting up a short list, I am somewhat at a loss to see how that can be done if you are generally unfamiliar with the equipment available, once again you are relying on the taste of others, and for me at least, this is not a reliable way to chose a system.

T

the record spot

Hi Dave, yes, I know what you said. There was no wishing on my part, consistency aside. We just have different approaches to the same end goal, so let's not call it something its not. I think the Arcam amps will do fine with the right speakers, but in your salesman's experience, which I think you mentioned was Naim as well as Arcam, so two brands, our OP should sell the lot. Okay...

As to the rest, how difficult is it to call up Google with an enquiring mind before you part with your cash, or are JBL and the other one all you need? Just sayin'...

69biscuit

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
:) Lol, if only she lived next door and I was single! those days are gone!!

As much as love listening to Axel and Slash, my absolute favoured is Phonics (with track ten, first album being my all time favourite track ever! Straits being a close second.), I'm 36 so the DnB is old school and at best very occasional , but still required along with the rumble that's necessary.

I'm a fussy ****** with all things in my life, but not with the assessment of my current system, it definitely needs vast improvement. I'm seeking quality infinite sound, which once I find i'm sure I'll cherish for years to come.

Looking forward to next weekend and hoping that musice to my ears will be fulfilled.

69biscuit

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Tried Tannoy's and going to try some Bowers next weekend, not the 603's though as they're no longer made, that was sort of my point...I would like too but can't as would have to buy second hand, hence wanting feedback.

Research online definitely helps but actually listening to the poduct can't be beaten, that;s been a painful and quick lesson. typing this on gooseberry and starting to lose the will to live, don't ever get one! Like Panasonic are the TV equiv!!!

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I have had an Arcam 10/9p combo for a year or so now and I am not surprised with the op's initial comments. I mostly listen to Jazz and electronicathese days and they are great for the former and fine for the latter. But the rare times I listen to rock or indie I find the presentation pretty flat. I do think some Acoustic Energy speakers would help, but only a bit. I had a set of the original neo floorstanders previously and they were a bit more lively than my quads but were not in the same league overall. But perhaps some AE's higher up their range would be better?

Overall though I suspect op will end up changing his amps...I will watch thread with interest.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
From my experience with a mate's alpha 10 integrated and my own Alpha 9, I think the choice of speaker is very important. Despite a reputation for being laid back, my experience with these amps is that they had brilliant bass (tight and detailed) and plenty of punch. Sorry, I know nothing of the Castles you have, although the dealer tried to sell me a Castle standmount when I auditioned my Alpha 9 and I wasn't impressed with the pairing.

69biscuit

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Well....sorry it's been so long, life has been more than little hectic!

Had the CM8's and Rel T5 sub on loan and the improvement was dramatic the say the least. without the sub there was a crisp quality sound with good midrange, however still lacked bass, however, turn the Rel sub on and that saw to he low end. I rate the B&W's a lot, very nice speakers. would like to har the CM9's and was next on my list to try, however things changed a little....got carried away on ebay and ended up with a asolutely mint pair of Monitor Audio RS6's. Paid £300 for these with boxes and all original extras and i'm very impressed indeed, they definitely suit he amps.

The RS6's don't have the quality mid range of the B&W's but not bad in that area, they do hve the bass was looking for though. the guy bought them from though has just upgraded to RX8's ad have to say they are even more impressive with the depth of sound...so may keep that thought for the future...

I can't say enough about Soundcraft in Ashford, Sam was as nice as could be and very ethusiastic about music and stereo equipment and never any pressure to purchase, also left sub and speakers with me for two weeks. I have of course ordered the Rel sub from him and will continue to use them.

Thanks to all that posted responses to this plea for urgent help, much appreciated and all considered and taken in.

69biscuit

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I Most certainly dd, there can't be that many people wrong about these, it had to be other components! it's still not perfect with all genre's but much much closer, I am now enjoying listening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts