Advice on what Arcam Alpha Products to buy off Ebay

kidAlondon

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I miss the days of my Arcam Alpha Amp and CD Player (this is 15 years ago now) with proper hifi coming through my speakers. (MP3 or Music streamed via Spotify just doesn't cut it) I really regret selling both items now despite them being over 20 years old.

I've not got much money to spend at the moment so this is what I'm thinking:

A: Spend about £100 - £150 on a Arcam Alpha amp and CD player off ebay and hook up a brand new pair of speakers to them. I could for instance get their 6 Amplifer for £49 and the 8 CD player for £39. Is it worth me looking for other models or will the sound on these systems still be as great as they were?

or

B: I buy an all in one system like the Denon D-M39DAB along with a decent pair of speakers.

Thoughts please

kidAlondon said:
I miss the days of my Arcam Alpha Amp and CD Player (this is 15 years ago now) with proper hifi coming through my speakers. (MP3 or Music streamed via Spotify just doesn't cut it) I really regret selling both items now despite them being over 20 years old.

I've not got much money to spend at the moment so this is what I'm thinking:

A: Spend about £100 - £150 on a Arcam Alpha amp and CD player off ebay and hook up a brand new pair of speakers to them. I could for instance get their 6 Amplifer for £49 and the 8 CD player for £39. Is it worth me looking for other models or will the sound on these systems still be as great as they were?

or

B: I buy an all in one system like the Denon D-M39DAB along with a decent pair of speakers.

Thoughts please

Welcome to the forum...

I wouldn't. I love Arcam but looking to buy 25 year old products is a no no for two major reasons: First the age, and products, especially CDPs wear out. And second, you don't know how they've been looked after. In your position, I'd save the pennies and look at a Arcam Solo: Has all the sonic virtues of the Alpha range but better. They sound a little cleaner and crisper and because they are more recent reliability shouldn't be so much of an issue.

Clickety.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts