Arcam Alpha 10 i ntegrated amp with DAVE

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have recently bought the above as it was at a price I couldnt turn down.

I have no need for the DAVE unit as it's being used as a stereo amp and wont ever be used as a 5.1 amp.

Now; should I remove the DAVE module and sell it on OR should I keep it intact in case I decide to sell at a later date?

For those in the know; please could you enlighten me on how to remove the DAVE module or should it be done by a professional?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:I have recently bought the above as it was at a price I couldnt turn down.

I have no need for the DAVE unit as it's being used as a stereo amp and wont ever be used as a 5.1 amp.

Now; should I remove the DAVE module and sell it on OR should I keep it intact in case I decide to sell at a later date?

For those in the know; please could you enlighten me on how to remove the DAVE module or should it be done by a professional?

Thanks

There are some products that 'add ons' do not increase in value.... we see it all the time with phono stages. When buying secondhand the amp with a phono will go for the same price as the amp without... But there are some add-ons where, no matter how small, do increase the value of an item. I believe that this amp, with this module, is worth more.

Arcam offer the D.A.V.E. as an upgrade, it is telling though, that if you wanted it, it HAD to go back to Arcam. Minor upgrades (i.e. phono stages) can be carried out by Arcam dealers. So obviously Arcam felt that the installation of a D.A.V.E. module was significantly complex that they decided it could only be carried out by their own engineers. I would advice that you contact the Arcam team (01223 203200 - option 2... I am in no way employed, nor deal Arcam equipment)... often times people will assume that to employ the manufacturers service team is too expensive and is not an option that is considered, however I have found Arcam to be competitive or, even, down right cheaper than independent repairers.

My opinion is that you should leave it in situ... you never know you circumstances may change. Also, if it does not, the D.A.V.E. module will not detract from the price. The removal of the D.A.V.E. is risky and significantly difficult enough that it should be carried out by a professional so that will cost... finally if you do remove the unit you then face the problem of selling it secondhand to another Alpha 10 user who will not know its provenence and will face similar problems getting it back in to a unit.

A better and easier idea might be to buy an Alpha 10 without a DAVE module and sell yours.....

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Sorry Dan, don't mean to divert your thread off course, but your sig lists 2 CDPs. Which is the 'best' and why?

No worries Chris

Currently, and as a surprise to me, the 7SE is winning hands down!!!

It's smooth, articulate, extremely detailed and the bass is superb and that's with the RS6's not even run in yet!

The CD72T is a good player but it's not as detailed as the 7SE and the bass is a bit hollow at times but it hasnt been used in over a year so maybe it's still 'cold'.

A

Anonymous

Hi, sorry for taking this thread off in another direction....

A question for d_a_n1979:

I understand from your threads that you have upgraded from an alpha 9/9p to an alpha 10?

As an alpha 9 integrated owner thinking about that upgrade route i was wondering what your opinions are on the difference?

Would it be better going for a 9p or 10 int?

Is the 10 int better than bi-amped 9/9p?

Thanks!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The only view I have of the Alpha 10 being better is it's more powerful.

The overall soundstage between the Alpha 9 and 10 is very close.

IMO it would be better to upgrade the Alpha 9 integrated with the 9P or a 10P if you can find one.

A

Anonymous

Appreciate the advice!

Just a couple more questions! :)

I find the alpha 9 a bit difficult sometimes to find a nice volume setting especially late at night when i want to keep it low. The volume pot is probably a bit worn by now and maybe that is the problem.

Question: Is is easier to select a low volume on the alpha 10? is it some sort of digital volume control that is more precise? or does the extra power make it even harder?

Oh and does the 10 sound similar to the 9 in terms of balance? i.e. I sometimes find the 9 a wee bit bright (maybe more to do with speakers B&W 601s3 or source beresford 7510) or just my wonky ears!

Thanks!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Wow... First person I've seen to ever put Arcam and Bright in the same sentence!

It may be the speakers or the source but Arcam is well reknowned for its warmth and smoothness as well as deep, gripping bass (with the right amp of course).

Low volume isnt something I use a lot to be honest; you'll probably find its the same with all the Arcam amps.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Back on topic. There's a used DAVE module on eBay for £350. I didn't realise they were so pricey. Might be worth selling it on if you can get it out relatively inexpensively.

A

Anonymous

If you can get that much for the dave on ebay then have a go taking it out your self because if you sell it for about that price then the amp you bought is free plus a profit and if you damage the amp taking it out your still up on the money and if you manage it then i defiantly want that pint i suggested
emotion-19.gif

Good Luck

Regards Tony

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tonyrees68:
If you can get that much for the dave on ebay then have a go taking it out your self because if you sell it for about that price then the amp you bought is free plus a profit and if you damage the amp taking it out your still up on the money and if you manage it then i defiantly want that pint i suggested
emotion-19.gif

Good Luck

Regards Tony

TBH it's staying pu for the time being; I'm watching that DAVE unit now on eBay but cant see it selling easy IMO

Will keep you posted

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:The seller must agree with you, he's dropped the B.I.N to £280.

Ebay is full of crackpots and dreamers... for instance LINK (I picked my M20's - same as those - with stands for £30) another guy is trying to sell his TU-260LII for £99?

Any fool can list. I too saw that DAVE module listed and I thought that that guy was dreaming - but in light of this post I kept schtum in case I got egg on my face. Would you but a DAVE module that you had no idea if it worked? Try and plumb it in to your beloved amp (i.e. potentially ruin your beloved amp?) and then find that it was knackered, or worse that you had knackered it?

When I had my A85 there were (and they still come up) loads of compatible Phono boards that I kept thinking that I would get... one was even from a NE hi-fi shop and came with instructions on how to fit... I was put off by a Joelsim post (about what phono amp to get)... now I know my way around amps a bit more I would probably take that on... But a DAVE module..? I bet Arcam (if they have any) would quote a competitive price for a new one and installation @ £350!!!!!

I reckone that that DAVE module on Ebay will start to get serious consideration when it drops below £175... and I would not think it worth the risk until it got close or went below £100... Still we can all watch and see, we all know there are some fairly idiotic buyers and sellers out there and at the end of the day it is the money that does the talking......

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Totally agree... The Denon price has made me chuckle!

I picked mine up for £0.99p!!!

If I were to remove the DAVE board it would just go on a £0.99p starting price and I'd leave the auction to run its course. But, saying that I've no idea if all the connections work (although the previous seller assured me that they did) so it may be a call/email to Arcam to ask their advice.

TBH it's prob best left be and sell it on with the amp at a later date!

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Totally agree... The Denon price has made me chuckle!

I picked mine up for £0.99p!!!

If I were to remove the DAVE board it would just go on a £0.99p starting price and I'd leave the auction to run its course. But, saying that I've no idea if all the connections work (although the previous seller assured me that they did) so it may be a call/email to Arcam to ask their advice.

TBH it's prob best left be and sell it on with the amp at a later date!

I would give Matt Frost on the Arcam service dept a ring... he can advise you on how best to test and whether removal is a good idea (his intitial reaction will, of course, be no... but circumvent that with a nifty... 'but even so, if I were to, how hard can it be?')

01223203200 option 2.

liquidsmoke

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I thought I would reply to this thread as I found it when searching for info on removing the DAVE module. I have just spoken to a technician at Arcam HQ and he reliably informed me that I can just remove the DAVE module. No reprogramming is needed as the circuitry is auto sensing. So no need to worry.

TRENDING THREADS