Arcam A90 integrated & P85 power amp

Gary T

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone.

Just a quick question for a bit of advice please. I really do value other peoples opinions.

I have an Arcam A90 integrated amp (90w) and an Arcam P85 power amp (85w) and wish to bi amp my Monitor Audio RS6 speakers.

Should i use the higher wattage A90 for the Bass/Mid and the P85 for the Mid/ Top or the other way round.

Thanks in advance Gary T

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
That is normally the way folks recommend it.

However, as there is no real difference in power I'd be inclined to use the power amplifier with its more straightforward topology dedicated to its task on the bass/mid driver.

I'd be surprised you hear much/any difference but your ears are the ultimate decider and don't listen to me as I have never dabbled with bi-amping.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The whole bi-amp thing is kind of enticing, all that extra power etc, except it really doesn't work like that.

Any advantage percieved will mostly be down to the different gain of each power amplifier stage and therefor a slight shift in the tonal balance, as the power output is similar, try it both ways and see which, if any, configuration works for you.

Do not discount the possibility of using the power amp to drive the speakers in a conventional manner, using the integrated as a pre-only, if the power amplifier is better than the integrated in general terms, this may be the best configuration of them all.

Try it and see, much fun to be had.......*drinks*

I thought I'd benefit from using an arcam p85 when I had my a70 amp. I had it for around two years or so, had the a70 for hf and the p85 for lf. And I can honestly say the a70 sounded better without the power amp.

This little 50w amp doesn't have many fans, but I really liked it, so much so, I have set it up in a second system in the bedroom. It's got that little bit of magic about it, very musical. It's very much underrated, mostly because it seems underpowered, as you have to use quite a lot of the volume to make it work. But, that gives you all the control you want and need.

Needless to say, the power amp got sold on. Totally unneeded .

Hi there, I'm using an a85/p85 biamped at the moment, and for sure it does make a difference, the mids and treble are smoother and bass is tighter, it ain't about power, it's about control. the power amp is driving the l/f and the integrated driving h/f, I'll be looking for a second p85 soon for dual mono setup, canny wait.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts