Arcam A85 Amplifier Monitor Audio RS6 Silver now gone. What now?

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Having just got rid of my above mentioned stereo, for better or worse, I simply fancied an upgrade not necessarily in quality. May sound odd, don't ask!

I have much respect for both components and companies and am after a similar sound but with a tad more power as I felt this setup at medium volume was excellent but when pushed, did struggle.

I am only going to purchase after demos but I was hoping for some pointers please on what I should be looking at for a 'similar' sound but not necessarily the same. I also felt that given certain material my stereo could be slightly harsh, in the upper range.

I am thinking along lines of Creek, Cyrus (very confusing range of products mind!), Rega, even Arcam again for amps.

Spendor SA1, Rega RS3, MA RX6 for speakers. I did really fancy a Brio-R and RS3 from what I've read (demo to come) and whilst I was 90% happy with my former system I am sure I can better it.

I listen to 80s, electronica (Sparks, Kraftwerk, Human League, Heaven 17) with Depeche Mode as my bread and butter. Also stuff like Aphex Twin but also enjoy Hans Zimmer et al and various classical but I am no classical buff at all. Muse and Mansun are regulars too so 'regular' needs to sound good. I also like 90s drum and bass which makes me smile listening to it on an Arcam/RS6 combo. :D

Just looking for some pointers, directions and ideas. Considering my musical taste which really covers a lot, most stuff really apart from pop and any heavy metal, added to the fact I was pretty happy with the Arcam and MA RS6 combo, I'm unsure whether to try and come close to that familiar sound or branch out.

I want detail, openness, a good all round sound and I seem to like a smidgen more bass than most people I know but not overblown. My system lacked just a little I feel in the bass department.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
At the moment I am concentrating on amp and speakers. I will add a DAC but have one that will suffice, for now.

I would say roughly £2000. Hopefully!

I am not looking to go to the 'next stage' so to speak. I was very happy with the quality of the music produced apart from some minor niggles. I just have a hankering for new stuff really. Whilst I can. :D

max337 said:
At the moment I am concentrating on amp and speakers. I will add a DAC but have one that will suffice, for now.

I am not looking to go to the 'next stage' so to speak. I was very happy with the quality of the music produced apart from some minor niggles. I just have a hankering for new stuff really. Whilst I can. :D

I was a very happy owner of RS6s for more years than I care to remember and Arcam A65+. Superb combo, if a little strained at higher levels. It took me close on two years of demoing various amps. Ended up with Leema Pulse which I love, even with RS6s. Alas, they have now been replaced by PMC TB2is.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you are looking in the right direction:

I would add Croft Integrated and Sugden Mystro on the Amp front; and Kef LS50 / R300 on the speaker list....the new ATCs are getting a good press atm, but I haven't heard them.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:

I was a very happy owner of RS6s for more years than I care to remember and Arcam A65+. Superb combo, if a little strained at higher levels. It took me close on two years of demoing various amps. Ended up with Leema Pulse which I love, even with RS6s. Alas, they have now been replaced by PMC TB2is.

Hi. I did search out the Leema but I should mention that I will not be buying pre owned which is all I could find for the Leema. :(

I have read of your fondness for the RS6 and was hoping you'd input as I was very happy with their presentation but I felt I was 'putting up with' a slight lack of bass and harshness up top. Not much but now I want it all!

I think I would prefer floorstanders, mainly for the bass aspect. I am not so much concerned about the looks but would like a matching (good quality) DAC for the amp. This of course is not set in stone. Sound above everything :D

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think you are looking in the right direction:

I would add Croft Integrated and Sugden Mystro on the Amp front; and Kef LS50 / R300 on the speaker list....the new ATCs are getting a good press atm, but I haven't heard them.

I hummed and ahhhed about the LS50 purely on looks, which I know is wrong but I find them quite ugly. However if they sound as good as I have read then that becomes irrelevant. R300 are very nice and decent bass but I was thinking mostly floorstanders for the bass. I am no expert but I just assumed they would always trump bookshelf speakers in the bass department. I have been known to be wrong, often!

Never looked at Croft or Sugden, didn't think they did anything in my price range and have been mostly persusing the usual suspects.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, should add that I have no problems with a digital integrated amp as I will be mostly using FLAC and DTS and when I have to MP3.

*seems* sensible idea but if separate DAC, amp is the way to go so be it. I have been very curious about the Cyrus range but as I've mentioned get confused about the differences between, say an 8 DAC and the Streamline for example. Both do the same thing but I assume (again) that the 8 DAC would be superior in sound quality?

max337 said:
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:

Hi. I did search out the Leema but I should mention that I will not be buying pre owned which is all I could find for the Leema. :(

I have read of your fondness for the RS6 and was hoping you'd input as I was very happy with their presentation but I felt I was 'putting up with' a slight lack of bass and harshness up top. Not much but now I want it all!

I think I would prefer floorstanders, mainly for the bass aspect. I am not so much concerned about the looks but would like a matching (good quality) DAC for the amp. This of course is not set in stone. Sound above everything :D

Yup, still think the RS6s are one of the best sub-£1000 floorstanders. I actually prefer them to the newer RX6s.

However, away from my nonsense, try and listen to these as I feel this'll be cracking set-up.

Rega Elex-R and Totem Arros. Not heard the Rega but the Totems are superb floorstanders (almost purchased a pair before plumping for the PMCs).

WHFI tested the Elicit-R with Totem Rainmakers, so the Arros should be great with the new Elex-R.

Or if you just want something different rather than better, then listen to Creek Evo 50A with entry-level Epos floorstanders. Huge fan of the previous Evo2 amp, ironically with RS6s. But the Epos are made at the same factory, so should have great synergy.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:

PP, what would you say were the improvement from RS6 to PMC TB2is? Did you hear them with the amp you had running the RS6s? An improvement nonetheless I'm guessing.

max337 said:
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:

PP, what would you say were the improvement from RS6 to PMC TB2is? Did you hear them with the amp you had running the RS6s? An improvement nonetheless I'm guessing.

Actually purchased the PMCs blind, confident they would sound the bees because I'm a huge fan of the DB1is.

The difference is very audible: Although the TB2is don't quite have the extreme depth of the RS6s, they more than make up for the soundstage. It's so wide, and the imaging of the stage is a league above. They also improve on the RS6s in terms of clarity and picking out the subteties throughout the frquency. Not night and day but very convincing nonetheless.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks PP, those I shall definitely audition, sounds promising. What would you recommend along similar lines as those but with more bass, a tad more than the RS6? If possible. I think the TB2is are at my price limit, considering I have the amplifier to buy also.

Bass isn't a deal breaker, I'll get used to a good but different sound.

Regards.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:

Yup, still think the RS6s are one of the best sub-£1000 floorstanders. I actually prefer them to the newer RX6s.

However, away from my nonsense, try and listen to these as I feel this'll be cracking set-up.

Rega Elex-R and Totem Arros. Not heard the Rega but the Totems are superb floorstanders (almost purchased a pair before plumping for the PMCs).

WHFI tested the Elicit-R with Totem Rainmakers, so the Arros should be great with the new Elex-R.

Or if you just want something different rather than better, then listen to Creek Evo 50A with entry-level Epos floorstanders. Huge fan of the previous Evo2 amp, ironically with RS6s. But the Epos are made at the same factory, so should have great synergy.

I did hear the Creek 50A with the Epos Epic 5s, room filling sound but when I played some jazz with double bass I could hear the cabinets resonating. The other problem with Creek is not many dealers so I never did hear the speakers I wanted to with the Creek. But I enjoyed the Creek Im not really a fan of floorstanders, yes more bass but thats not always better. If I were you I would try Neat Motive 2, Kef R300 and Totem Arros if you can, also hard to track down. Croft Int. also is about £800.

max337 said:
Thanks PP, those I shall definitely audition, sounds promising. What would you recommend along similar lines as those but with more bass, a tad more than the RS6? If possible. I think the TB2is are at my price limit, considering I have the amplifier to buy also.

Regards.

More bass or better defined bass? Without question the Totem Arros are one of the best sub-£2000 floorstanders I've heard. They major in rhythm and imaging. They are stunning IMO. The only problem with the Arros (and all Totems come to that) is the nominal impedence is 4ohms. And I think, from memory, they are 86db, so if you're playing at low volumes they aren't quite as convincing as others in that price range.

The TB2is aren't current. They have been replaced by the Twenty series, so they are only available now as s/hand or if lucky, ex-dem.

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:

I did hear the Creek 50A with the Epos Epic 5s, room filling sound but when I played some jazz with double bass I could hear the cabinets resonating. The other problem with Creek is not many dealers so I never did hear the speakers I wanted to with the Creek. But I enjoyed the Creek Im not really a fan of floorstanders, yes more bass but thats not always better. If I were you I would try Neat Motive 2, Kef R300 and Totem Arros if you can, also hard to track down. Croft Int. also is about £800.

Hence the reason why I mentioned Totem with Rega Elex-R.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:

Regards.

More bass or better defined bass? Without question the Totem Arros are one of the best sub-£2000 floorstanders I've heard. They major in rhythm and imaging. They are stunning IMO. The only problem with the Arros (and all Totems come to that) is the nominal impedence is 4ohms. And I think, from memory, they are 86db, so if you're playing at low volumes they aren't quite as convincing as others in that price range.

The TB2is aren't current. They have been replaced by the Twenty series, so they are only available now as s/hand or if lucky, ex-dem.

Slightly more bass I think, I increased bass tone on the Arcam, which I loathe to do, and I still felt only certain tracks, mainly Depeche Mode (lots of moving bass/synth bass) and some D&B lacked a touch. If that extra bass sacrifices clarity and soundstage however I can live with slightly less bass. My old combo did after all sound excellent. If I can have my cake and eat it though, I will! nom nom.

I'm not concerned whether it's current stuff, only in regards to getting my hands on an unused example of it.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Totems are available at most Audio-T stores.

Thanks! I'm tempted but I can't break my budget and £500 an the amp to drive them isn't going to happen is it? Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Different question if you'll indulge me :D What in your opinion, would come close to the combo I just sold? I'm not plumping for it but it would give me something to chew on as I'm unable to demo for at least a week now. Bah humbug.

max337 said:
plastic penguin said:

Thanks! I'm tempted but I can't break my budget and £500 an the amp to drive them isn't going to happen is it? Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Different question if you'll indulge me :D What in your opinion, would come close to the combo I just sold? I'm not plumping for it but it would give me something to chew on as I'm unable to demo for at least a week now. Bah humbug.

No but you could have a sneaky listen to them and buy... ahem... off an auction site for between £700-£800.

Back to the bass issue. I found one of the issues with the RS6s was the bass could sound a little flabby, hence why I matched them with Leema: The bass is taut and fast, the Leemas really excel in this area.

Bingo! There's a chance finding them. Go and buy them *they offer a returns policy, too* and buy a Arcam A32. Should sound the beans.

max337 said:
plastic penguin said:

See my previous post.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
*dirol* much appreciated but I'm quite averse to pre owned stuff. Not a snobbery issue but an OCD one. However those Totems you linked to are just down the road from where I'm moving to.

I know I'm limiting myself with my reluctance for used items but I can't help it, I want the Arros though! *dash1*

Regarding my other question, would you be able to match the A85/RS6 combo, roughly, with non archive components? Just for my own curiosity. I know it's hit and miss, for example SA1 speakers I've found new, RS3s too. Other items I've no chance of finding new.

I know, I'm a strange case, hehe. Thanks for bearing with me.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Just seen a nice A38. Buy that and the Totems and you're home and dry.

Or failing that:

Arcam A85 + P85 (biamped)

MA RS6s

*man_in_love*

Heeeeey. *stop* I'm getting the feeling you maybe think I shouldn't have sold it. : ) Maybe.......aargh.

See my response re used gear. :(

max337 said:
*dirol* much appreciated but I'm quite averse to pre owned stuff. Not a snobbery issue but an OCD one. However those Totems you linked to are just down the road from where I'm moving to.

I know I'm limiting myself with my reluctance for used items but I can't help it, I want the Arros though! *dash1*

Regarding my other question, would you be able to match the A85/RS6 combo, roughly, with non archive components? Just for my own curiosity. I know it's hit and miss, for example SA1 speakers I've found new, RS3s too. Other items I've no chance of finding new.

I know, I'm a strange case, hehe. Thanks for bearing with me.

Avoid Spendor SA-1s. Fabulous speakers but they have the bass depth of a portable radio. They certainly won't be for you.

Speakers I've heard with Arcam is PMC. Another great combo. heard GB1 and DB1iswith my A65+ -- yet another great combo. Or if you can locate at the right price: Arcam and MonoPulse speakers. They are odd as they are covered in a strange cloth, but fabulous with Arcs.

More seriously, Arcam and Arros...
thumbs_up.gif

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I assume you mean Model C? Jeez they are oddities to look at, which doesn't matter really. Expensive too. Hope I get to hear them.

Haha, lol at the SA1s bass description. Never heard that about them. That couldn't be improved via amp & cables, no? Cyrus or K2? Mind you considering their price though, PMC are within range as are the Model C, just. Thanks PP.

TRENDING THREADS